Facing a problem

trying2learn

Hello,
I am facing a problem in the next few months. I am pregnant with a son that is due to arrive in September. This is my third child, and my husband's fifth. Now there is almost 10 years (and more) between my husbands first two children and my three children. Everyone, including my american (christian) family and his arab (muslim) family has expressed their concern over us having a 5th child, and the financial issues that come with each child. All of them have asked if I was going to have surgery to make it so I cannot have any more children, even my husband has expressed his desire for me to have this surgery. Now here is my problem, I do not want to have the surgery, I feel blessed that I am able to carry and bring forth children becuase not every woman has this ability. And I feel very strongly I should not have surgery to stop a process that is so natural. I do not know what to do, I do not want the surgery but my husband (along with everyone else) wants me to have it. What is the islamic way to go about this? Thank you so much.

I wanted to add, that according to the doctors when I was younger I was never medically supposed to be able to have children and I prayed for years and my prayers were answered and I became a mother, so it makes this even harder for me because I feel that Allah answered my prayers and I do not want to undo his gift to me.

trying2learn

oh no no no. The surgery is called a tubal ligation (I do not know if that is the correct spelling). Where after you give birth they take you in for surgery and cut the tubes and clamp them so you can't get pregnant again.

JenGiove

:salam2:

Sister Harb: she's talking about either a hysterectomy or having her tubes "tied".

"Tubal ligation (or having one's tubes tied) is a permanent form of contraception. Transabdominal sterilization, a type of tubal ligation, is surgery that closes off a woman's fallopian tubes. Once the tubes are sealed, sperm will not be able to fertilize an egg, so pregnancy can't take place. There are several methods by which this can be achieved."

Sister Trying....I say no. Keep your body...if he doesn't want kids...have HIM tie HIS tubes.. :) Lets see how he feels about THAT thought...THAT at least is reversible. I don't know what it says islamicly though so this is personal opinion.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

sister, temporary methods are allowed but not permanent ones.

procedures like vasectomy and tubal ligation is prohibited in Islam though scholars permit use of condoms and oral contraceptives for a limited period.

any surgery by which male or female cant have baby at all is not allowed by Allah. it can only be allowed if mother's life is at risk by having babies.

http://www.studying-islam.org/forum/topic.aspx?topicid=2080&lang=&forumid=1

http://www.islam-usa.com/index.php?...gation&catid=61:q-a-a-with-dr-athar&Itemid=55

may Allah bless you and your family.

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
no no sister...family planning is not allowed in islam... example if some 1 has a case lyk only 1 person can be alive, weather mother or child, then u can choose ur self, then abortion is allowed..but i dont know, or am not sure for this case of urs....ur case is kinda different ..so dont know properly regarding this..if i offended u in any case, plz forgive me sis.. :( dont have much knowledge bout this

Aroosak

Sister it is understandable that in the economic situation we are currently living right now your husband would feel that way, however, the advice he is giving you is not right. All the other posts are correct since permanent steralization be it in women or men is haraam. The use of temporary contraception is allowed in certain cases but as a woman you have the right to decide if you would like to take such contraceptions since many are proven to have numerous side effects.

However either a man or a woman should use contraception methods in agreement with their spouses. We all have to be aware that even if we try to not have any more children at the end if Allah subhana wa t'ala wants it even with contraceptions you will still have kids like on this hadith, when someone asked the Prophet (saw)

"O Messenger of Allaah, I have a slave woman and I engage in ‘azl with her, because I do not want her to get pregnant, but I want what men want. But the Jews say that ‘azl is a lesser form of infanticide.” He said, “The Jews are lying. If Allaah wants to create (a child) you cannot prevent that." Narrated by Abu Dawud.

So my best advice is discuss this with your husband in a loving way and find an middle ground in which you can both compromise and find harmony in your marriage inshAllah.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Sister Tryingtolearn, please read the below.

What is the ruling on operations that prevent pregnancy?

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permitted to carry out operations on men or women that will lead to complete sterility, such as cutting the vas deferens (vasectomy) in men, or removing the ovaries or womb (hysterectomy) in women. This is because cutting off all possibility of future offspring with no valid reason is haraam, as it goes against what the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) wanted for his ummah, and is a source of shame and humiliation for the Muslims. The more the Muslims increase in number, the more this is a source of pride and status for them.

Allaah has guaranteed to provide for His slaves, as He says (interpretation of the meaning): “And no living, moving creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allaah. And He knows its dweeling place and its deposit (in the uterus, grave, etc.). All is in a Clear Book.” [Hood 11:6].

So cutting off all possibility of future offspring for no good reason goes against this teaching. However, if it is necessary to carry out an operation of the kind mentioned – such as a case where the mother’s life will be in danger if she becomes pregnant, or she is suffering from a disease in her womb which it is feared could spread and kill her (such as cancer), so she has no choice but to have her womb removed – then there is nothing wrong with carrying out these operations in such cases of necessity.

And Allaah knows best.

Fataawaa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah (2/974); Fataawaa li’l-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (2/975); Fataawaa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem.

Link : http://islamqa.com/en/ref/2160/