Faith or Action?

hellbraker

Which of these should one give importance.Will God judge someone according to their actions or their faith.Suppose a non-believer is good in heart,has no bad feelings towards anyone.He cares and helps others,he gives alms to the poor despite he being poor.And more over,he prays initimatley to his God or Gods/Godesses.

How will God judge this humble person?

PS: I want your ideas,and please dont link me to some place else for this matter,as I normally dont like to read long posts or information from the screen.So please keep it simple.Thank you all.

Peace be with u..

daywalker

faith = 1
action = 0

If you have thousends of good action that means = 00000
but u can see the amount has no value.
but if u have faith and action both then it means = 10000

So now u have got also value for those good deeds, cause u have the 1 infront of those numbers.

And GOd will judge them according to their intention.

But dont think a non-muslim will be judged according to thier intention, cause if they had sincere intention they would get also hidayah from allah.

Correction regarding last paragraph wellcome.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
A person associating partners with Allah will not have any of his deeds or his Beleif accepted. A person who is TRULY rightoues would feel in their heart that they have only one Lord, who's the Lord of everyone, who created good and evil as a means of a test for humanity, that he has no father, no offspring, no mother, he has no partners, than he rules and shares his leadership with no one, that his might is great and powerfull, and that he is the one Lord, who rules over the Heavens, the Earth, and all that exists, and that he has no partners with him whatsoever.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
Allah (SWT) will account all your deeds as well as your intentions, And since Allah (SWT) knows what is in your heart he will give good/bad points for all your feelings, faith, love, hate, arrogance etc. These are not physical acts, they happen deep inside of you, yet Allah (SWT) will bring it out and present them in front of you on the Day of Judgement.

For instance if you give a poor person some money just to show off, then that act of charity will give you no benefit on the day of judgement because your intension was to show off. Right?
Somehow everyone (Muslim or not) agrees on this point, but no one ponders on why? After all you gave money to that poor person, it doesn't matter if you wanted to show off or not? Allah should reward you regardless what was in your heart.
You see your acts are extension of your intensions. A thought originates in your heart and is then carried out by the body. Each act carries some amount of good or bad points based on that act. Stealing carries less bad points than murder, fasting carries more good points than a single prayer etc.

The act of worshiping a God other than Allah carries maximum amount of bad points specially if it is done after that person heard about Islam and then choose to ignore or reject it. This mental process of rejecting the true creator of Universe represents extreme arrogance on the part of that person, because he thinks he knows the best, or his parents cannot be wrong, or his knowledge of science is perfect, or his ethenicity is more important than Allah, etc etc.

On the Day of Judgement all your deeds (good and bad) will be brought forth even if they are size of an atom, then these deeds will be weighed, but the huge, gigantic, astronomical weight of KUFR when it will be placed on the scale will nullify the weight of all the good points and the result will be that person will be thrown in the hell fire. And that is why people say: the good deeds of a non-believer will give him no benefit.

But since Allah the merciful says that he will weigh all the deeds, the amount of good deeds will help in reducing the level of punishment. But since Allah has also said that he will not forgive anyone who knowingly reject his message and do not believe in him, so we can say with certainty that such person will not enter into the paradise.

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
peace

A person who is full of faith but beliefs that there are more one god then that's shirk and shirk(associating partners with god) is greatest sin of all. but remember if u love god and believe in one god then u should prove that u love god and make god love you back. if you have faith and you show the actions of being fiathful person then they are both loved by god. anyways a faithful person would do anything to please the one true god. if someone knows the truth but deosn't want to do it and pretends to be faithful person then that is a shirk. remember shirk can be anything that u do for the sake of someone and not knowing that god is watching over you. please god rahter than somone who is like u. and if u please someone please them for the sake of god. very simple. if you have faith u have the actions or u can do the actions. don't ignore the actions if u know them what they are.

so for my opinion i would say faith and actions both equal to each other.

if u don't understand what i mean then reply. hope i was specific about what u were talking about.

Faith without action or action without faith both lead to a life of destruction in this world and the hereafter. The two are inter-dependent. We can diligently state that the Quran is a source of our faith and the Sunnah (personificiation & actions of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him) is a model for our action. That's why we have the two!

Unlike Christianity, we do not have Blind Faith. Christians are told in Romans 3:28 "Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law." There is no such belief in Islam. The Quran unequivocally states that punishment and reward is based on ones deeds and actions subject to belief in One God. It is obedience or disobedience to Allah's Will that determines the final destiny of man. The following Quranic verses reflect such belief:

16:11 "One day every soul will come up struggling for itself ad every soul will be recompensed (fully) for all its actions and non will be unjustly dealt with"

39:70 "And to every soul will be paid in full (the fruit) of its deeds' and (Allah) knoweth best all that they do"

5:9 "To those who believe and do deeds of righteousness hath Allah promised forgiveness and a great reward"

Shirk (associating parther with God) is an unforgiveable sin in Islam unless of course they revert to Islam. The Oness of God is an integral part of Islam.

Just look at how merciful Allah swt is: If a believer intends to do a good deed but does not do it, a good deed will be recorded for him. And if he does do it, (a reward of) ten to seven hundred or many more times (the reward of the good deed), will be recorded for him. And if someone intends to do a bad deed but does not do it, a good deed will be recorded for him. And if he does do it, a bad deed will be recorded against him or God will wipe it out. (hadith, Muslim)

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

Praise be to Allaah.

If a person dies following a religion other than Islam, then Paradise will be forbidden for him, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allâh, then Allâh has forbidden Paradise to him, and the Fire will be his abode” [al-Maa’idah 5:72]

Good deeds done by a person whilst he is a kaafir will not benefit him in the Hereafter at all, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings):

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]
“And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust” [al-Furqaan 25:23]

“Those who deny Our Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and the Meeting in the Hereafter (Day of Resurrection,), vain are their deeds. Are they requited with anything except what they used to do?” [al-A’raaf 7:147]

Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) asked the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) a question similar to that asked here. She (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “O Messenger of Allaah, during the Jaahiliyyah Ibn Jud’aan used to uphold the ties of kinship and feed the poor. Will that be of any avail to him?” He said, “No, that will not be of any avail to him, because he never said ‘O Lord, forgive me my sins on the Day of Judgement.’” (Narrated by Imaam Muslim – may Allaah have mercy on him) in his Saheeh, 214).

But if the kaafir never heard about Islam and Da’wah never reached him, then Allaah will test him on the Day of Resurrection (please see Question #1244). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

aelshamy

Suppose a non-believer is good in heart,has no bad feelings towards anyone.He cares and helps others,he gives alms to the poor despite he being poor.And more over,he prays initimatley to his God or Gods/Godesses.

The question is as if it is why (good) person will go to hill ? But we should ask first is he really good ?
Is he good because he deals with the others in a good way? Actually he doesn't, Because he is not good with respect to the most important relation: his relation with his true God. Whom should he please?; the creatures or his creator. He denied his true God and he worshiped false Gods. He made the greatest sin so how can we say he is good.

"Abdullah reported: I asked the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him): Which sin is the gravest in the eye of Allah? He (the Holy Prophet) replied: That you associate a partner with Allah (despite the fact) that He has created you " narreted by Muslim.

Do you think that a man gives charity to some people but in the same time he doesn't give the rights to to others - for example he dosn't pay loans which he took from somebody althaugh he can pay them not only that but also he denies these rights.Do you think this man is good? what about the rights which Allah has upon him.

It is narrated on the authority of Mu'adh b. Jabal: I was riding behind the Prophet (may peace be upon him) and there was nothing between him and me but the rear part of the saddle, when he said: Mu'adh b. Jabal: To which I replied: At your beck and call, and at your pleasure, Messenger of Allah! He moved along for a few minutes, when again he said: Mu'adh b. Jabal: To which I replied: At your beck and call, and at your pleasure, Messenger of Allah! He then again moved along for a few minutes and said: Mu'adh b. Jabal: To which I replied. At your beck and call, and at your pleasure. Messenger of Allah He, (the Holy Prophet) said: Do you know what right has Allah upon His servants? I said: Allah and His Messenger know best. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Verily the right of Allah over His servants is that they should worship Him, not associating anything with Him. He (the Holy Prophet) with Mu'adh behind him, moved along for a few minutes and said: Mu'adh b. Jabal: To which I replied: At your beck and call, and at your pleasure, Messenger of Allah! He (the Holy Prophet) said: Do you know what rights have servants upon Allah in case they do it (i. e. they worship Allah without associating anything with Him)? I (Mu'adh b. Jabal) replied: Allah and His Messenger know best. (Upon this) he (the Holy Prophet) remarked: That He would not torment them (with the fire of Hell). narrated by Muslim

" Surely Allah does not forgive that anything should be associated with Him, and forgives what is besides that to whomsoever He pleases; and whoever associates anything with Allah, he devises indeed a great sin. "
Translation of the meanings of Quran 004.048

you said
And more over,he prays initimatley to his God or Gods/Godesses.
Actually 'And more over' is wrong because you considered 'praying initimatley to his God or Gods/Godesses'. as a good action while - as explained above - the gravest sin.

Allah is Justice, That is why according to authentic Hadith In Musnad Ahmed he will award the unbeliever for his good deeds in this worldly life so that he will come in the day of judgment with no good deeds.
Actually he didn't do it for the sake of Allah

TheKnowledgeSeeker

A Believer In Heart
Which of these should one give importance.Will God judge someone according to their actions or their faith.Suppose a non-believer is good in heart,has no bad feelings towards anyone.He cares and helps others,he gives alms to the poor despite he being poor.And more over,he prays initimatley to his God or Gods/Godesses.

PS: I want your ideas,and please dont link me to some place else for this matter,as I normally dont like to read long posts or information from the screen.So please keep it simple.Thank you all.

Peace be with u..

Ok, this is the way i see. Everything in life is predestined by God for everyone whether you are a Muslim or NonMuslim expect our intention towards things. So the action you take is predestine for you by God so it really doesn't matter what the action is but your faith and your intentions matter. God will not judge you by something He predestined for you (you have no controll over) but He will judge you on your intention if you are a Muslim but if you are not a Muslim then it really doesn't matter if you saved a life or give alm giving. I listen to a leacture that said in the day of judgement for the NonMuslim their good deeds will be worth nothing. The speaker compare the good deeds of nonMuslim to desert.

However, like ayman1 said God willn't judge someone whether they might be Muslims or NonMuslims by something he/she doesn't know.

Islam is Peace

Faith

In a lecture by zakir Naik, he once mentioned, how can a man help others and not help himself to Allah swt. What are his deeds worth if he doesn't believe/do good?

Munawar

Striving for Paradise

Peace be with u..

I just thought of one other short answer:

On the day of judgment people will either go to hell or to heaven, except those who never received the message of Allah (SWT) and so those people will be tested on that day, and then eventually they too will go to either to heaven or to the hell.

So we humans have no third choice. We will either go to the hell-fire or to the paradise. If a person had never accepted Allah (SWT) as the one true God and so never worshiped Him, then why Allah (SWT) will let him enter into His Paradise. Why?

And when a person is not going to Paradise then it is not difficult to answer where he/she would be.
:wasalam:

Abel213

Let's say a person is good and does good deeds often and very respectful towards elders, etc etc. But when he meets Muslims and learns about Islam he hates it or dislikes it. Does he deserve to go to Heavan? No, because he harbors hatred and ill-feeling towards Allah. The one who granted him food, water, life, happiness. But when Allah sends him the message, he is arrogant. The arrogance leads to the hellfire.

justoneofmillion

Good evening,

:There are two things in my mind that control both faith and action,these are the intelligence of the heart and that of the intellect, let me please draw your attention to to these two verses of the Quran from surah AR Rahman where the pedagogy of Ar Rabb (the educator) is quite interesting to Analise when revealing the message to his servant s a w.
الشَّمْسُ وَالْقَمَرُ بِحُسْبَانٍ

55:5 The sun and the moon (run their appointed courses) according to a (perfectly computed) mathematical design (in conformance with a prescribed regulation and order)
وَالنَّجْمُ وَالشَّجَرُ يَسْجُدَانِ
55:6 And the stars (or small sprouts, bushes or shrubs growing close to the earth with little or no stalks) as well as the trees (with big trunks) are humbly bowed

From the first one you can see that Allah swt is appealing for our intellect to witness his majesty in creation, that the sun and the moon are set in perfect calculation through his command is something we can witness and comprehend trough the intelligence of our minds.

Whilst in the second verse that says that the tress and the stars prostrate is something we comprehend trough the faith which is in our heart as to them obeying the commands of god in his design,here Allah swt is calling for the intelligence of our hearts to confirm and harmonize with that which our intellect witnessed before.It is not something we could understand through the intellect.

Albert Einstein shortly before his death is quoted to have said "I have a great regret of having signed the letter to Roosevelt recommending that the atom bomb be made" We can not say that einstein lacked the intelligence of the mind what he lacked was that of the heart at that moment. When you see the tress ,the birds and the whole creation prostern to the will of allah swt as grateful creatures in your heart and you understand them as such ,you learn to respect that tree and the environment it is surrounded by and not harm it, your faith gives you the opportunity and the obligation to serve humanity protecting it from the potential unilateralism of your intellect ,that could resolve in wrong action (Thus have We made of you a nation justly balanced, that you may be witnesses over the people and the Messenger a witness over yourselves Quraan al karim 91-Verse 143).In other words allah swt tells us here is the knowledge about everything( He taught Adam the names of everything...Qur'an 2:31)you need to know in the creation, for your mind to comprehend and Analise, and here is how you prevent yourself from being autodistructive making use of the right approach by principle before your comprehension materializes into action,Altough Allah swt is most forgiving,and he doesn t miss to remind us of that over and over again as well whilst we are going through this process down here switching from one foot to the other between hell and heaven....Retribution is something we all wait for as humans when giving as much as we pretend not to,we are all somehow like little children in our innocence.We do expect something in return we say we don t but we do!and that is how we have been consciously created.The sense of accountability regulates this desire for retribution.(Read imam An Nawawi)

And this goes for everything and for everybody you dont really have to be Einstein to regret of not having made it your own at your death bed and to understand that prevention is better than cure.

Faith and action need to have the same timing within us first, for us to create a better relation and harmony among human beings and in respect to the creation we benefit altogether from.This relation teaches us how to benefit ourselves without harming others,how to be content with what we have and make it fruitful to ourselves and others without envying what others have been given,how to make live and let live more than a slogan even trough hardship and troubled times.
I must admit that it is quite different from the generosity concept of the current market economy we know ;)may allah swt help us in achieving that.

But by realizing that god created us good and pure in nature it becomes easier for us to hope and to think of it as the norm and not the exception.Because nowhere in the Quran will you find the ancient Greek concept of considering the soul as good while the body is meant to be bad,both are potentially good , in a permanent tension with one another and relative to what you do of them.Too much emphasis on the soul would lead one towards arrogance, whilst to much on the body can reduce man to his animal state.The humility to recognize that ,depicts the essence of humanity in each and everyone of us, it is driven by faith and materialized through the dynamic of the action.Islam is the natural religion.

"And he has created death and life, so He may test you which of you is best in deeds"(Holy Quran 82:6-9,this implies action through trial not simple faith of comprehending the trials as destiny an accepting it as such with laziness).There is a very dynamic relation in there between both faith and action which eliminates any fatalistic approach towards life.

hope this helps a bit
respectfully
jameel

justoneofmillion

Peace be with u..
:salam2:Are you still around dear friend,please do keep us informed of how things are going ,we enjoyed your approach and company.do not hesitate if you haver further questions ,inshallah we will try to answer within our humble abilities.

yallah be safe

wassalaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Wow. Let me be simple. Allah subhana talla has given us a Path. One does not stand still on a path; else we would have a different word. Am I simple.
Jihad. Wow. We are not static beings. We do not sit still when making dua. We do are not still when we are in prayer. We are called upon to strive for excellence. There is duality in our beings. One feeds upon the other. If I did not believe (faith) I would not strive (action) to be the grateful slave of my Creator. As my faith increases there is revelation ( even on my simple level i.e. the removal of veils) and I am stirred into action. Thus, Jihad. My inner being moves gently to Allah subhana talla by being free from the illusion of the dunya. And the outer reality is action to remain in the dunya and strive to be a pious slave.:subhanallah:

allah is with me

Rabana Wa laqal Hamd
salamualaikum
no,god will never judge a person by hs actions he only judges a person by his faith .
If a person is non-muslim but then also he is humble to all
then allah may give him hidayath to follow the right or if he is still a non-muslim but still is humble then allah may give him love in this world,

but atlast in the day of the doom(qiyama) he will go to hell indeed . {may allah give hidayth to all those non-beleivers }
ameen
your beloved sister

hellbraker

:salam2:Are you still around dear friend,please do keep us informed of how things are going ,we enjoyed your approach and company.do not hesitate if you haver further questions ,inshallah we will try to answer within our humble abilities.

yallah be safe

wassalaam

Im still here my brother,however there is no particular approach which I followed to be around here.This is how I am.
Thanks 4 all ur input...
Peace be with you.....