Fatimah's dowry

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I came across this and think many young nubile Muslim women need to remember this:
Abu Bakr (ra) said, "The Prophet (sws) summoned me, Umar bin Khattab,
Salman and Usamah bin Zayd to carry Fatimah's dowry; it consisted of a
mortar, a tanned hide, a cushion and a bowl. I wept and said, 'Is this
the dowry of the Prophet's (sws) daughter?' He replied, 'O Abu Bakr,
This is a great deal for someone who will die and who is only passing
through this world.'"

maisarah

Salamu alaykum,

"Mahr "

The wife is entitled to a marriage gift that is her own. This may be prompt or deferred depending on the agreement between the parties. A marriage is not valid without mahr. It does not have to be money or gold. It can be non-material like teaching her to read the Qur'an. " Mahr" is a gift from the groom to the bride.
This is the Islamic law, unlike some cultures whereby the brides parents pay the future husband to marry the daughter. This practice degrades women and is contrary to the spirit of Islam.

:hijabi:
:wasalam:

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam
walaikum assalaam .
Jazzakallah khair for a reminder which is much needed in todays time.

This oppression of women is a pagan practise. as muslims there is no problem in following Cultures only until it contridicts with Islam. so we shall not do and encourage and inform all people in our country who do this. The best way will be following it and not just advising it. and another thing is shoyuld not spend too too much money in Marriage.

Salaam allaikum

Salamu alaykum,

"Mahr "

The wife is entitled to a marriage gift that is her own. This may be prompt or deferred depending on the agreement between the parties. A marriage is not valid without mahr. It does not have to be money or gold. It can be non-material like teaching her to read the Qur'an. " Mahr" is a gift from the groom to the bride.
This is the Islamic law, unlike some cultures whereby the brides parents pay the future husband to marry the daughter. This practice degrades women and is contrary to the spirit of Islam.

:hijabi:
:wasalam:

You have hit the nail on the head sister, they dont know the less the mahr the more barakah it has instead of selling off their daughters.

Anywho jazaakallah kheir for sharing the hadith with us mirajmom.

Beautiful and simple:)

:salam2:

halah

You have hit the nail on the head sister, they dont know the less the mahr the more barakah it has instead of selling off their daughters.

Anywho jazaakallah kheir for sharing the hadith with us mirajmom.

Beautiful and simple:)

Narrated Anas:

Abdur Rahman bin 'Auf married a woman and gave her gold equal to the weight of a date stone (as Mahr). When the Prophet noticed the signs of cheerfulness of the marriage (on his face) and asked him about it, he said, "I have married a woman and gave (her) gold equal to a date stone in weight (as Mahr)." ''Sahih Bukhari''

Narrated Sahl bin Sad:

The Prophet said to a man, "Marry, even with (a Mahr equal to) an iron ring." ''Sahih Bukhari''

That was the guidance of our Prophet (SAW)

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Salaam,

I came across this and think many young nubile Muslim women need to remember this:
Abu Bakr (ra) said, "The Prophet (sws) summoned me, Umar bin Khattab,
Salman and Usamah bin Zayd to carry Fatimah's dowry; it consisted of a
mortar, a tanned hide, a cushion and a bowl. I wept and said, 'Is this
the dowry of the Prophet's (sws) daughter?' He replied, 'O Abu Bakr,
This is a great deal for someone who will die and who is only passing
through this world.'"

AssalaamuAlaikum,

I think many Muslims miss something. The dowry which was given to Fatimah (RA)., Actually Ali (RA) had get debt from some one by giving his shield to someone as security.

First Prophet (SAW) asked Ali (RA) if he has anything to give, but Ali (RA) was out of any finance (Allahu Akabar), then Ali (RA) had to give his shield to someone to get small amount of money for marriage.

Please correct me if you can.

Wassalaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Brother someone sent this to me. I just wanted to share the wisdom of it.
Even a verse of the Quran is sufficient.

dianne

Salam sister,
the story goes like this-
In Madinah, Fatimah lived with her father in the simple dwelling he had built adjoining the mosque. In
the second year after the Hijrah, she received proposals of marriage through her father, two of which
were turned down. Then Ali, the son of Abu Talib, plucked up courage and went to the Prophet to ask
for her hand in marriage. In the presence of the Prophet, however, Ali became over-awed and tonguetied.
He stared at the ground and could not say anything. The Prophet then asked: "Why have you come?
Do you need something?" Ali still could not speak and then the Prophet suggested: "Perhaps you have
come to propose marriage to Fatimah."
"Yes," replied Ali. At this, according to one report, the Prophet said simply: "Marhaban wa ahlan -
Welcome into the family," and this was taken by Ali and a group of Ansar who were waiting outside for
him as indicating the Prophet's approval. Another re port indicated that the Prophet approved and went
on to ask Ali if he had anything to give as mahr. Ali replied that he didn't. The Prophet reminded him
that he had a shield which could be sold.
Ali sold the shield to Uthman for four hundred dirhams and as he was hurrying back to the Prophet to
hand over the sum as mahr, Uthman stopped him and said:
"I am returning your shield to you as a present from me on your marriage to Fatimah." Fatimah and Ali
were thus married most probably at the beginning of the second year after the Hijrah. She was about
nineteen years old at the time and Ali was about twen ty one. The Prophet himself performed the
marriage ceremony.

wassalam

dianne

Salam,

I have read the story,its a full version of the companions of the prophet Muhammad or Biographies of the Companions (Sahaabah).thats all i know,i didnt know other story.(the one that u mentioned)

wassalam

dianne

Salam,

Ooh really? i do believe theres much opposites story,some of the writers say that fatima ra passed away at 19years old,some says 32years old,wallahualam.
the one that i have - brother mabsoot sent it to me.

wassalam

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:ma: Jazakallahu Khairan Sister MirajMom!!
The dowry seems to be such a big issue, it should be as simple as possible. Some sisters ask for too much, and the brothers are left single because it is beyond their budget:astag: We should not be extravagent, for this is NOT the islamic way!! This is one of thereason why our brothers are not married! The simple the better!! May Allah help us, Ameen!