Fired for Praying

umm hussain

Omaha - Supervisors at a meatpacking plant have fired or harassed dozens of Somali Muslim employees for trying to pray at sunset, violating civil rights laws, the workers and their advocates say.

According to Muslim rules, the five- to 10-minute prayer, known as the maghrib, must be done within a 45-minute window around sunset.

The workers at the Swift & Co plant in Grand Island, Nebraska, said they quit, were fired or were verbally and physically harassed over the issue.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations had drafted a complaint to be filed with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

'I was fired after praying'

The petition compiled testimony from at least 44 workers who had planned to sign the complaint during a meeting on Sunday. The signing was changed to a later date because of a logistical problem.

Jama Mohamed, 28, said he was fired in June for leaving a production line to pray. He said supervisors would not allow him a break.

Mohamed said: "Some of them took the (prayer) mat from me; they started shouting, they started telling me to stop it, and one of them grabbed me by the collar of my shirt.

"I was crying at the time this was happening to me, and when I finished I told them while they were doing that I was in the middle of a prayer."

Mohamed said he was later called to an office, where a supervisor fired him. Mohamed Rage, chairperson of the Omaha Somali-American Community Organisation, said Swift had fired at least two dozen workers for praying since May.

Donald Selzer, an attorney for Greeley, Colorado-based Swift, said only three Somali workers were fired for reasons relating to the issue, and that it was for walking off the line without permission, not for praying.

120 Somali workers quit

Selzer said unscheduled breaks could force unplanned shutdowns of lines.

He said: "That is a significant number of employees, and there is not much of a way to accommodate that consistent with keeping the production online."

The complaint reprised issues that boiled over in May, after 120 Somali workers abruptly quit for similar reasons. About 70 returned a week later, but union officials worried the issue would resurface through the late spring as sunset came later in the evening shift.

Ali Schire, 30, who said he returned to the plant but was later fired for trying to pray, said: "For three days it was all good and we were praying; there was no hassle, no interference, nothing at all.

"All of a sudden after three days it just all got loose, and they were suspending people, they were firing people. Some of the people even had to give up praying at all for fear of being fired."

http://www.news24.com/News24/Africa/News/0,,2-11-1447_2151855,00.html

mohsofi_abdullah

May Allah reward them for their sacrifice and for risking unemployment...
It's good that some muslims are not intimidated by materialistic values.
Don't blame the non muslims, because they do not understand how GREAT God is to us, the muslims...
Just blame their religions for not teaching the them that, or for acting so childish and threatening those muslims with fists and verbal threats... Such big bullies for the big hearts like the somalians...
I actually pity those non muslims, because, they only fear not getting enough money, or they think the muslims will be scared enough not to pray if they were threatened...
Silly, isn't it?
Silly how much non muslims are not scared of God, the allmighty.
Silly how they think they want to change the muslims, while championing freedom of speech, religions, bla bla bla...
May Allah Subhanahuwataala free all of us from such big bullies...

zarah

Islam
Staff member
:salam2:

What a joke,something like this really makes me angry.

May Allah(SWT) bring back to the right path.

:wasalam: :angryred:

Jihan

You know this reminds last week our teacher was telling us how to choose a job that fits you. One of the first rules was never choose a job that goes against your religious or moral believes because in the end there will always be trouble. Ahead time you need to talk to the manager/supervisor on what is the policy and ask questions concerning your priorities. If the job desn't fit you and your needs don't take it.
But I guess its not always easy since many ppl are desperate for any job.

Asalaamalikum,

What a hostile environment to work in. I don't think 5 mins of the employers time is that critical once a day, yet they allow smokers to go on a smoke breaks all the time! Hypocrits.