Friday Prayer - whats going on?!

AyeshaL

AA all,

I have a few questions about Friday prayers. I'm so confused because when I go everyone seems to be doing things differently and I want to be sure I've got it right inshaAllah.

My questions are;
1) Can you pray any rakats except for the 2 for being in the mosque before the azhan?
2) When do you do your sunnah prayer before the jummah prayer? How many rakats?
3) Do you turn your head to the right and left saying 'Assalaamu Alaikum wa rakmatula' with the Imam or do you wait til he's finished at then do it?
4) How many sunnah rakats can you do afterwards?
5) What are the rules about telling people to be quiet during the kutbah?!
6) What is happening when everyone stands and says 'Allahu Akbar' and then after a short pause again....etc for a few times. It's in Arabic so I don't know whats happening :(

Thank you for any advice you can give.

WS,

Ayesha

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

1) After Tahhiyatul-Masjid (the 2 ruka'ahs prayed upon entering a masjid) is prayed..you may pray however many ruka'ahs as a *nafl* but this must be done *before* the Imam goes up/stands up in preparation for giving the khutbah. Just to note: this is *totally* optional..you can just sit down after Tahiyyatul-Masjid and only do dhikr..read Qura'an..make tasbeeh..etc. it is up to you decide..and it's best that you do it sometimes..and leave it at others

2) There's *no Sunnah* prayer *before* Juma'a Prayer..the Sunnah of Juma'a..is performed *after*...the least ruka'as you're supposed to make is 2-ruka'ahs but *the best* and *most complete* (considered so by scholars) is making *4-ruka'ahs*

3) You never do a move before or along the imam..you always do things *after him*..so when he's done with *his salams*..you say yours

4) This is pretty much question #2 so please refer back to it

5) you cannot speak during the khutbah..you cannot even say *salam* to anyone (not in initiation or as a reply)..all your attention has to be paid *to the imam making khutbah!*..so if someone is speaking and they're causing an annoyance or a big distraction..all you can do is give them a stern look (for example)..if they don't get it..then you have no choice..try to concentrate as much as you can..wait until the khutbah and the prayer are over and politely tell them that it is not allowed to speak during the khutbah

6) Can you be more specific about this "Allahu Akbar"..which one is it?..before the prayer?..before sojood..after getting up from sojood?..if you specify we can help you better inshallah

:wasalam:

AyeshaL

:salam2:

1) After Tahhiyatul-Masjid (the 2 ruka'ahs prayed upon entering a masjid) is prayed..you may pray however many ruka'ahs as a *nafl* but this must be done *before* the Imam goes up/stands up in preparation for giving the khutbah. Just to note: this is *totally* optional..you can just sit down after Tahiyyatul-Masjid and only do dhikr..read Qura'an..make tasbeeh..etc. it is up to you decide..and it's best that you do it sometimes..and leave it at others

2) There's *no Sunnah* prayer *before* Juma'a Prayer..the Sunnah of Juma'a..is performed *after*...the least ruka'as you're supposed to make is 2-ruka'ahs but *the best* and *most complete* (considered so by scholars) is making *4-ruka'ahs*

3) You never do a move before or along the imam..you always do things *after him*..so when he's done with *his salams*..you say yours

4) This is pretty much question #2 so please refer back to it

5) you cannot speak during the khutbah..you cannot even say *salam* to anyone (not in initiation or as a reply)..all your attention has to be paid *to the imam making khutbah!*..so if someone is speaking and they're causing an annoyance or a big distraction..all you can do is give them a stern look (for example)..if they don't get it..then you have no choice..try to concentrate as much as you can..wait until the khutbah and the prayer are over and politely tell them that it is not allowed to speak during the khutbah

6) Can you be more specific about this "Allahu Akbar"..which one is it?..before the prayer?..before sojood..after getting up from sojood?..if you specify we can help you better inshallah

Salaam,
Thank you so much for helping me with this. Well number 6) happens after the prayer and after the Imam has read the community notices. Then everyone gets up and stands in the lines as we would for prayer, and then the Imam is saying a prayer in Arabic and every so often everyone says 'Allahu Akbar' and raises their hands to their shoulders - as you would as you start namaz. Is is community dua maybe? It doesnt happen in every mosque I go to but I always feel weird doing it as I dont understand whats happening. I hope i've explained it clearly enough for you to try and explain it to me - it's so hard to describe it! Thank you again for the time and effort in explaining it to me. Wasalaam, Ayesha :)

Summer03

3doTs2sQuares
Sister ayesha... I'm thinking you are talking about the prayer for the dead body.

When you say the people get up and pray... Do they do that standing up and say Allah Akbar four times and then say salams standing up..? If this is the case sister then this is the prayer for the dead body that's being prayed for. And you are right it is a community prayer, it is done for the deceased.

Hope that helped.
Salam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Sister ayesha... I'm thinking you are talking about the prayer for the dead body.

When you say the people get up and pray... Do they do that standing up and say Allah Akbar four times and then say salams standing up..? If this is the case sister then this is the prayer for the dead body that's being prayed for. And you are right it is a community prayer, it is done for the deceased.

Hope that helped.
Salam

Yes..I am wondering if this is what you're talking about as well sister..because from what you described..it doesn't sound like the Allahu Akbar that's recited *once* before the salat commonly..so could it be that you witnessed a funeral salat?!

P.S. you're more than welcome ukhti and I'm pleased I was of help to you!

AyeshaL

Thank you :)

Salaam,

Thank you! I think you're right! I've been praying more recently at the East London mosque and I know they have quite a lot of funeral prayers said there. In comparison, the local one near my home in West London is smaller and doesnt have a funeral facility (apologies - I dont know the terminology) and the prayer never happens there.

I think you may have cracked it ;)! Thank you :)

Would you mind telling me what I am saying with the dua then?

Thanks, Ws, Ayesha

ahmed m

the number of rakahs you pray in jummah is dependant upon the school of thought u refer to.u must consult a scholar which refers to the school of thought u adopt.the respected sister who sent a reply may refer to a different school of thought to urs.jzk
And Allah knows best