friend passed away /viewing

serena77

salaams everyone
is there any issue w/ a muslimah going to the viewing or visiting at the funeral home to pay my respects to the family who are also friends of mine. The wife of the man who died and i have been close for years, she even had a pet named serena from before i knew here....

I really want to pay my respects but i don't want to do anything hareem. I cannot attend the funeral even if i wanted to due to my work schedule - i don't do funerals anyway ... -
jakazallah khair
serena

kayleigh

I've asked this question before and I'm pretty sure you can go, but you can't give blessings or pray on behalf of the deceased as they are not Muslim, or partake in any sort of religious ceremony. But a viewing wouldn't have that, so it would be okay.

serena77

wasalaams sister aapa
thank you for the thread, she had wanted me to attend the funeral, which i wasn't comfortable doing for reasons beyond all of this. this is simply going to the viewing w/ no religious part at all. It would be the same as going to her house and telling her how sorry i am. So that doesn't "seem" to be an issue. I'll ask Allah(swt) to guide me on whether or not i should go. I'm not real partial to wakes/viewings etc... but at least religion won't be involved ... and i should pay my respects in some fashion. i think .
jakazallah khair
serena

strive-may-i

:salam2:
Thats unfortunate. May Almighty give strength to deceased family in their moment of loss/sorrow...

From what I have heard in sermon, yes you can visit the dead body without taking part in their religious rituals for the dead, nor wailing by falling on the dead body, Crying due to sorrow is fine... Muslims in part of world where there is a good mix of other religions do visit the deceased family, view the dead body of same gender . Give them words of console. Be of help to family, if the head of family has died, in little ways you can, without I repeat, involving in their religious rituals, nor making any prayer for dead.

The references I have are...

And never (O Muhammad SAW) pray (funeral prayer) for any of them (hypocrites) who dies, nor stand at his grave. Certainly they disbelieved in Allah and His Messenger, and died while they were Fasiqun (rebellious, - disobedient to Allah and His Messenger SAW).[Quran 9:84 Translated by Mohsin Khan]

Narrated 'Abdur Rahman bin Abi Laila: Sahl bin Hunaif and Qais bin Sad were sitting in the city of Al-Qadisiya. A funeral procession passed in front of them and they stood up. They were told that funeral procession was of one of the inhabitants of the land i.e. of a non-believer, under the protection of Muslims. They said, "A funeral procession passed in front of the Prophet and he stood up. When he was told that it was the coffin of a Jew, he said, "Is it not a living being (soul)?"
Bukhari 2:23:399

And I recollect, every dead body, when unclaimed, should be buried.

Hope this helps