games?

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
Selamun Aleykum Wa Rahmatullah We bereqatuhu

(you all deserve a salam, indeed, as someone asked me)

We know gambling is haram, however I got this hadith by email this very day:

Muslim 946 The Prophet said: "He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine."

this is interesting, can someone explain the reasoning behind it?

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
We know gambling is haram, however I got this hadith by email this very day:

Muslim 946 The Prophet said: "He who played chess is like one who dyed his hand with the flesh and blood of swine."

this is interesting, can someone explain the reasoning behind it?

:salam2:Sister,

The correct translation of the hadeeth is as follows:

Muslim (2260) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Whoever plays dice is like one who has dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig.”

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “This hadeeth is quoted as evidence by al-Shaafa’i and the majority of scholars to prove that playing dice is haraam. The phrase ‘dipped his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig’ refers to eating it, and this simile is used to show that this is haraam because it is haraam to eat that.”

As with regards to chess, if it does not distract us from our obligations or involve anything that is haraam, then there is a difference of scholarly opinion concerning the ruling.

:salam2:

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
interesting translation...happytobamuslim, so you are saying that it distracts one from his/her faith, that it therefore is haram? There are so many other things doing that, not only dice, do you think that is the reasoning behind it...is there maybe something else?

melissa123

Not Junior Anymore!!
I think it means that because dice are used in gambling, so if you use them for gambling it applies. Perhaps as a metaphor so it also applies to other forms too. Such as card games etc.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
interesting translation...happytobamuslim, so you are saying that it distracts one from his/her faith, that it therefore is haram? There are so many other things doing that, not only dice, do you think that is the reasoning behind it...is there maybe something else?

:salam2:Sister,

I said "distracts us from our obligations" (not faith). Meaning,for example, if it is time for Maghrib prayer and I continue playing until the time of Isha prayer, then it is prohibited in this circumstance.

I don`t know about monopoly, but it is not permissible to play backgammon because it involves the use of dice which are haraam and emphatically forbidden.

dna1987

Muslim Guy
I don`t know about monopoly, but it is not permissible to play backgammon because it involves the use of dice which are haraam and emphatically forbidden.

Salam alaikum.
Is this Makkah to Madinah game forbidden then?
http://www.muslimgames.com/howtoplay.html

EDIT: Perhap in that time, dice was only used for gambling, and by dice being haram, the hadith is another one that reaffirms the haram gambling stance? I'm only guessing, cause if rolling a dice is haram 100%, then that Muslim game isn't a very Islamic game afterall.

EDIT 2: If Backgammon is haram, then shouldn't this game be haram also? As both involve rolling dice but are played in a slightly different manner. Same with Snakes & Ladders and Ludo. Which brings me back to my first point, that the 'dice' in the hadith is talking about a pure game of chance where one also gambles their savings or wealth.

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah
Salam alaikum.
Is this Makkah to Madinah game forbidden then?
http://www.muslimgames.com/howtoplay.html

EDIT: Perhap in that time, dice was only used for gambling, and by dice being haram, the hadith is another one that reaffirms the haram gambling stance? I'm only guessing, cause if rolling a dice is haram 100%, then that Muslim game isn't a very Islamic game afterall.

EDIT 2: If Backgammon is haram, then shouldn't this game be haram also? As both involve rolling dice but are played in a slightly different manner. Same with Snakes & Ladders and Ludo. Which brings me back to my first point, that the 'dice' in the hadith is talking about a pure game of chance where one also gambles their savings or wealth.

interesting point, exactly, that is why I asked about the reasoning behind it? Maybe there is a fatwa on this, which I didn't find...I am very curious actually.

Muslimah99

Bosnian Muslimah

How about saying salam first Sister? Don`t we deserve it?

Fatwas?? Here you go:

Dice

Chess

salam brother, no need to get offensive, these were merely questions out of curiosity, no personal ones, which you obviously assume since you find the need to attack me indirectly. "Don't we deserve it?" What do you think is the answer?

I think our religion teaches us to keep a nice manner, doesn't it? To be forgiving?

muharram23

Staff member
salamu alaykum

just a little reminder, talking about halal and haram without proofs is dangerous. Most scholars say that it is worse to make something haram that is halal than making something halal which is haram.

ALLLAH KNOWS BEST

wa

muharram23

Staff member

salamu alaykum
if anything distracts you from performing obligations, we should stay away from. You know one time aisha r.a doubled the mat or whatever they used to sleep on in order to make it little more comfortable for resulullah s.vs. Because of that, resulullah s.vs over slept fajr. So, when he svs woke up, he asked aisha what had happen or what was different with the place where they slept, so she told him what she did. Reesulullah s.v.s was so mad because of that because that was the reason why he overslep. He s.vs was little more cofortable and that made him over sleep fajr. SubhanAllah, c how resulullah svs wanted to stay away from anything that would make him disobedient to Allah s.vs even while sleeping.

So, definitelly if something takes our time and causes us to leave/neglect/not ful fill our obligations towards Allah s.va, then we should stay away from. But if it doesn't that is a different issue that we should ask scholars. Below i have some links that might help. May Allah s.va give us proper understanding of His deen, and that we use our time wisely, because every second of it is worth and we will be questioned about it. SubhanAllah, and we all waste our time in stupid stuff, especially me. Allah s.va says,

"Know that this world's life is only sport and play and idle talk and boasting among yourselves, and a rivalry in respect of wealth and children, like the rain, whose causing the vegetation to grow, pleases the husbandmen, then it withers away so that you will see it become yellow, then it becomes dried up and broken down; and in the hereafter is a severe chastisement and (also) forgiveness from Allah and (His) pleasure; whereas the life of the world is but matter of illusion." (Quran 57:20)

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=95409&ln=eng&txt=games
http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=98769&ln=eng&txt=games

And Allah knows best

wa
Muharram al-bosni:SMILY288: