garment above ankle issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

gangstaat

Allah Hu Akbar
Didn't the bani israel used to wear clothes that would roll under their feet and it was considered a sign of proudness. and that's why its forbidden to have your trousers rolling under your feet.
I dunno for sure but can any1 confirm it. i m positive though i have heard this but not 100 % more like 75 %

xohanifaxo

one in a billion!!
saalam
i think it means that ur not suppose to show any of ur skin down to ur ankle...but i could be wrong...

Amir_of_spain

its all about garms dude

in the prophet's (pbuh) time clothing's length was a popularised sign of a man's wealth..as someone who was poor couldnt afford to buy more material and cover him/herself up..nowadays as long as you dont drag it around and look like a complete mess i dont THINK it should be a problem but i am in no position to give away my own fatwa...but otherwise i am veeeeery confused about why our most knowledgable and wise religion would be so nitty-gritty about such a thing...nowadays wealth is shown off in other ways so im GUESSING thats what it means..im guessing and i hope so because frankly (god forgive me if i am sounding blasphemous) i dont understand the justice in taking someone to hell because of a cubit-'s length of garment or an inch of their garment's length,such things seem minisqule to our might god..well what about if we sit down? material stretches and expands..im gonna research this hadith in arabic and ask the mosque sheikh

Asalam wailkium
There are some hadiths and quran ayats that require deeper research for complete understanding, and this hadith regarding the ankles is one such example, however because we do not do this deeper analysis we end up using our own modern day logic and culture and become baffled and confused.

The hadith about the ankle is based on the cultural behaviour of that time, where the rich and boostful (wealthy/arrogant) used to walk around with theuir garments very low down beneath the ankles, where as the poor did not as they could not afford such stylish garments. So it was a fashion statement at that time of the rich/arrogant, just like today we see such people with gold chains and rings around their necks and fingers in excess, at the time of the prophet this was their equivalent. so hence u got to take into account the conditions surrounding this hadith, ie that allah would not allow the prideful/boastful/arrogant man into heaven, so hence this hadith acted like a reminder to the men not to show off in this way and to have pride, as such qualities are not praiseworthy and humility and peity is more worthy.
How about in 2007?
Now scholars say in today's time hav 2 opinions:if someone having their trousers below their ankles it is not considered as a sign of pride/arrogance in the present culture, then its not an issue, as the culture has changed over time. So scholars give 3 opinions. 1) one should keep the garment above the ankle if this is considered a sign of pride/arrogance in our culture, if not then its not a absolute/necessary to do so 2) to keep it above as its a sunnah and part of certain madha, remember sunnah not fardh. So taken into consideration all this fact finding, it helps us to understand the hadith in context of the past and in todays time and how we should implement it, unfortunately many jump to their own logic and fail hence see it as strange or silly. When i was younger i was like this, i was like huh whats trousers above the ankle got to do with religion?? But later on enquiry through friends and students of knowledge we gain elm.
masalams

opaline

in the prophet's (pbuh) time clothing's length was a popularised sign of a man's wealth..as someone who was poor couldnt afford to buy more material and cover him/herself up..nowadays as long as you dont drag it around and look like a complete mess i dont THINK it should be a problem but i am in no position to give away my own fatwa...but otherwise i am veeeeery confused about why our most knowledgable and wise religion would be so nitty-gritty about such a thing...nowadays wealth is shown off in other ways so im GUESSING thats what it means..im guessing and i hope so because frankly (god forgive me if i am sounding blasphemous) i dont understand the justice in taking someone to hell because of a cubit-'s length of garment or an inch of their garment's length,such things seem minisqule to our might god..well what about if we sit down? material stretches and expands..im gonna research this hadith in arabic and ask the mosque sheikh

Asalam wailkium
There are some hadiths and quran ayats that require deeper research for complete understanding, and this hadith regarding the ankles is one such example, however because we do not do this deeper analysis we end up using our own modern day logic and culture and become baffled and confused.

The hadith about the ankle is based on the cultural behaviour of that time, where the rich and boostful (wealthy/arrogant) used to walk around with theuir garments very low down beneath the ankles, where as the poor did not as they could not afford such stylish garments. So it was a fashion statement at that time of the rich/arrogant, just like today we see such people with gold chains and rings around their necks and fingers in excess, at the time of the prophet this was their equivalent. so hence u got to take into account the conditions surrounding this hadith, ie that allah would not allow the prideful/boastful/arrogant man into heaven, so hence this hadith acted like a reminder to the men not to show off in this way and to have pride, as such qualities are not praiseworthy and humility and peity is more worthy.
How about in 2007?
Now scholars say in today's time hav 2 opinions:if someone having their trousers below their ankles it is not considered as a sign of pride/arrogance in the present culture, then its not an issue, as the culture has changed over time. So scholars give 3 opinions. 1) one should keep the garment above the ankle if this is considered a sign of pride/arrogance in our culture, if not then its not a absolute/necessary to do so 2) to keep it above as its a sunnah and part of certain madha, remember sunnah not fardh. So taken into consideration all this fact finding, it helps us to understand the hadith in context of the past and in todays time and how we should implement it, unfortunately many jump to their own logic and fail hence see it as strange or silly. When i was younger i was like this, i was like huh whats trousers above the ankle got to do with religion?? But later on enquiry through friends and students of knowledge we gain elm.
masalams

you're the maaaaaan..i totally support your thesis because our religion also told us "e'3qel wa tawakal" which means "use your brains then surrender your will to god" unfortunatley alot of us are so excited/comitted to our religion that we dont try to understand some of its rules...which makes us love it even more once we understand that it is logical and for our own good.

salam :)

Shahzad

Brother, can u please point me to any link where it is written? You know what? Hell is only given when u do a major sin, nota minor sin. Since hell is being given by putting garment below ankles, its a major sin and we have to avoid it at any cost.

Also, during the days of Nabi (SAW), a Sahabi had disease and his calf was shrunked or became very thin. He asked Nabi(SAW) if he cud put trouser below his ankle so as to cover his calf. Nabi (SAW replied "dont u see a role model in me?"

So, if due to a disease, a SAHABI wasnt allowed to put garment below his ankle, how come we are supposed to do that, just by judging on our own , that now a days , there is no sign of pride etc etc???

THIS issue is really serious and we shud not judge it on our own instead consult reputed scholars about that.

check this

http://www.albalagh.net/qa/lower_garment_ankle.shtml

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

i agree@ the meaning of the above stated hadis means that the prophet said that since i do it should be enuf for u.
i thinkit was not bani israel but the people of lut[lot] who wore their trousers like this ......and i m sure all of us want to avoid lookng like them ,when Allah looks at us .at all times.

user expired!

asalamualaykum,

Brother Shahzad can u plz provide evidence when u refer to anything according to Quran and Sunnah plz and thank you!

At uni loads of Brothers do it and more inshallah will, its not an issue in the Uk people are doing it all the time!

If more brothers start practising these basic Sunnahs then more people will follow and you will be rewarded by Allah!!

Undead

Ans. There is no difference of opinion amongst the scholars with regards to covering/non-covering of the ankles. All the scholars, regardless of their different schools of thought and differences in many issues, have no difference of opinion in this regard. They all unanimously agree that the length of the lower garment, i.e. the trousers/pants/izars etc. should be above the ankles for men. Thus it is forbidden for men to cover their ankles with their lower garments i.e. trousers/pants/izars etc. There are several authentic Ahadith to substantiate this ruling.

Narrated Abu Huraira
Allah's Messenger (pbuh) said, "Allah will not look, on the Day of Resurrection, at a person who drags his Izar (behind him) out of pride and arrogance." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 7, Hadith no. 5788)

There may be few Muslims who tend to differ on the subject due to ignorance. They argue by saying ‘the Hadith says that anyone who drags the Izar out of pride and arrogance will be punished in the hereafter. Therefore we don’t drag the pants out of pride and arrogance’.

However, there are many Ahadith in which the Prophet has instructed in unambiguous words to wear the Izar above the ankles without mentioning the aspect of pride or arrogance. One of the Ahadith is as follows:

Narrated Abu Huraira

The Prophet said, "The part of an Izar which hangs below the ankles is in the Fire." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 7, Hadith no. 678)

In the Hadith quoted above, there is a general instruction to keep the trouser above the ankle, irrespective whether it is out of pride & arrogance or without pride & arrogance.

Moreover, can any human being claim to be as humble as the Prophet (pbuh)? Alhumdulillah, we Muslims believe that the Prophet (pbuh) was far more humble than anyone of us can ever be and he could never be as arrogant & proud as we can be at any given time. He was sent as a mercy (Al-Qur'an 21: 107) for all the creatures, yet he wore his lower garments above the ankles. Therefore we should obey the commandment of the Prophet (pbuh) in order to prosper in the hereafter. The Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said:

"All my followers will enter Paradise except those who refuse." They said, "O Allah's Messenger! Who will refuse?" He said, "Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise, and whoever disobeys me is the one who refuses (to enter it)." (Sahih Bukhari, Vol. 9, Hadith no. 384)

Thus, it is incumbent upon the Muslim men to wear the pants/trousers/izars above the ankles. And Allah knows the best.

IRF.NET

three17ent

ALLAH says in Quraan " Indeed we have made a beautiful example for u in Nabi (SAW)"

We shud be the follower of Nabi(SAW) not our wisdom

Agreed!!

It also says in Qur'an
The Messenger (Muhammad SAW) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allâh, His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey...
surah Baqarah.

Simple as that.
Along with the mention ahadith from the other posts. It should be enough to fill any doubt or questions. There really isn't any room to analyze the hadith and assume our own "tafseers".

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

As far as I know so long as is not out of pride, arrogance, and boasting of one's wealth it is not mandatory to have the clothes above the ankle in modern circumstances. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I actually see it very hard to do, espicially if you live in the west. It's not like we can go to work with jilaiba on or school.
I don't think people do it out of pride or arrogance, it has just become the social norm.
I hope it's sunnah, because I would find it very difficult to wear jeans/pants and then boots or tennis shoes while the ankle is naked. That Would look a bit funny.
With jilaiba it looks perfect fine, and hence no one ever has an issue witht hat.

Also the hadeeth about Abu Bakr (RA)
In which Abu Bakr (RA) said somethign along the line of "O Messenger of Allah, my Izar naturally goes below the ankle since i'm so skinny" and the Messenger of Allah SAW replied 'You're not one of those (arrogant, pride, etc)," So it was okay for Abu Bakr to wear it.
I suppose it only applies to him since he was 'Siddique'?

Can anyone give the opinion of a prominent scholar concerning the subject?

I would rather wear long shorts if it's fard.

:wasalam:

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Assalaamu'Alaykum,

There is a thread in the Fatawa's and Questions and Answers section in relation to this:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33414

Insha'Allaah it should answer any queries. I will check Fatawa Islamiyah as well for anything that could also help - if so, i will post in the Fatawa's and Questions and Answers section, Insha'Allaah.

I see no reason for this thread to remain open, as the link above should suffice.

Alhamdu'Lillaah.

Walaykum Salaam.

Status
Not open for further replies.