• 8 threads Spanish saffron
• 15 fresh cilantro sprigs, tied with cotton string
• 1 cup pitted dates, chopped *2
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• salt to taste
• 1 tablespoon unhulled sesame seeds, toasted *3

In a small Dutch oven or enameled casserole dish (I used a traditional clay tagine) over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the turmeric, ginger, and goat until the meat is well coated and lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Finely dice one of the onions. Add it to the meat along with the broth, saffron, and cilantro. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the meat is fork tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard the cilantro.

With a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to an ovenproof dish and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve. Bring the sauce in the casserole back to a simmer.

Finely slice the remaining onion. Add it, along with the dates, honey, cinnamon, and pepper to the simmering sauce. Season with salt. Cook until the mixture thickens somewhat, 6 to 8 minutes. Spoon the prune sauce over the meat and sprinkle the dish with the sesame seeds. Serve with warm bread.

(Notes:
*1 = the recipe calls for lamb but I'm not a big fan, I find goat goes great here!
*2 = the recipe calls for prunes, but again - not a big fan. The dates are a better substitute IMHO
*3 = I personally don't bother with this step)