Going 2 divorce u

q8penpals

Salam

I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head at this story! This was reported first in a Saudi paper.

RIYADH (Reuters) – A Saudi man has divorced his wife by text message, a newspaper said Thursday.
The man was in Iraq when he sent the SMS informing her she was no longer his spouse. He followed up with a telephone call to two of his relatives, the daily Arab News reported.
A court in the Red Sea city of Jeddah finalized the split -- the first known divorce in Saudi Arabia by text message -- after summoning the two relatives to check they had received word of the husband's intention, the paper said.
Saudi Arabia practices a strict form of Islamic Sharia law, and clerics preside over Sharia courts as judges. Under the law a man can divorce his wife by saying "I divorce you" three times.
The Saudi man was in Iraq to participate in "what he described as 'jihad'," according to the Arab News. Many Saudis have gone to fight with al Qaeda militants against the Iraqi government and U.S. forces.
(Reporting by Asma Alsharif)

LoveIslam123

salam aleikum
Where this news from ? CNN or must be fox news ?
Its not the divorce issue disturbed me but this sentence ..
what he described as 'jihad'," according to the Arab News. Many Saudis have gone to fight with al Qaeda militants
That's completely wrong ,I dont know who can write this and call it jihad...

waaleikum salam

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I read same new from Arab News (saudi news site) yesterday.

I don´t see any wrong with this; his husband has decided to fight for Islam but also wanted to make sure his wife can live hers life as she wants, like marring again.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Original new:

Shariah court approves SMS divorce
Arab News

JEDDAH: A Shariah court here has approved the divorce of a young Saudi woman in her 20s whose husband sent her an SMS text from Iraq saying he had divorced her.

The husband, who is in Iraq to participate in what he described as “jihad,” also telephoned two of his friends who witnessed his marriage and told them that he had divorced his wife.

The woman had approached the court and asked for an official document proving she was divorced.

A judge summoned the two witnesses who confirmed that their friend called them from Iraq and told them that he had divorced his wife. Another two relatives of the absent husband also confirmed that he had told them on telephone that he had divorced his wife.

The judge approved the divorce and told the woman that she did not have to go through the iddah (the post-divorce waiting period stipulated by the Shariah) as the marriage was not consummated.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=24&section=0&article=121367&d=9&m=4&y=2009

q8penpals

Salam

I think it is totally crass and rude to divorce over just a phone message?! I don't care the reason why - he should do it in person, or at the very least, over the phone where he has to say it and hear her voice at his words.

I think he is selfish and a coward - not enough courage to face the woman he chose to marry and tell her he wants a divorce? Seriously, women - could you imagine sitting around one day and getting a message from your husband saying he wants a divorce?

AlQurtubi

Banned
this might be your thinking sister Q8PenPals. The wife of mujahid might have different emotions and differenet level of emaan which might be better than my level of emaan. May be they have decided it earlier, before he went out.

Dont be rude sister. Those mujahideen are soldiers of ALLAH. Their wives are highly respectable as well. Things are very tight for them these days. We should not let them down. Who knows if ALLAH asks us about this on Qiyamah?

Idris16

I don't know what to say. It's not ok to divorce by a text message.
And also if the man is fighting in Iraq then we should give him some 'respect'
and I don't like the article saying 'Fighting alongside Al Qaeda'.

They are brainwashing the readers, and it make the readers think that Al Qaeda are everywhere!

:wasalam:

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam
Seriously, women - could you imagine sitting around one day and getting a message from your husband saying he wants a divorce?

As brother AlQurtubi wrote; we don´t know about they life more than just one new, nothing more.

I am widow of soldier of Allah. It is not that you represented in your post. I am happy that my husband sacrificed his life for Islam. (Not with al-qaeda if someone thinks so!)

:)

abubaseer

tanzil.info
Staff member
Salam

I think it is totally crass and rude to divorce over just a phone message?! I don't care the reason why - he should do it in person, or at the very least, over the phone where he has to say it and hear her voice at his words.

I think he is selfish and a coward - not enough courage to face the woman he chose to marry and tell her he wants a divorce?
Seriously, women - could you imagine sitting around one day and getting a message from your husband saying he wants a divorce?

:salam2: Sister,

1. There are more Islamic Scholars in Saudi than there are Criminals in America...I hope they will take care of it is against Islaam...

And if is correct according to Islaam it doesn't matter if we like it or dislike..
تب عليكم القتال وهو كره لكم وعسى ان تكرهوا شيئا وهو خير لكم وعسى ان تحبوا شيئا وهو شر لكم والله يعلم وانتم لاتعلمون

Jihad (holy fighting in Allahs Cause) is ordained for you (Muslims) though you dislike it, and it may be that you dislike a thing which is good for you and that you like a thing which is bad for you. Allah knows but you do not know.

2. Always presume good about someone because Allah says in Quran...
يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ لَا يَسۡخَرۡ قَوۡمٌ۬ مِّن قَوۡمٍ عَسَىٰٓ أَن يَكُونُواْ خَيۡرً۬ا مِّنۡہُمۡ وَلَا نِسَآءٌ۬ مِّن نِّسَآءٍ عَسَىٰٓ أَن يَكُنَّ خَيۡرً۬ا مِّنۡہُنَّ*!ۖ وَلَا تَلۡمِزُوٓاْ أَنفُسَكُمۡ وَلَا تَنَابَزُواْ بِٱلۡأَلۡقَـٰبِ*!ۖ بِئۡسَ ٱلِٱسۡمُ ٱلۡفُسُوقُ بَعۡدَ ٱلۡإِيمَـٰنِ*!ۚ وَمَن لَّمۡ يَتُبۡ فَأُوْلَـٰٓٮِٕكَ هُمُ ٱلظَّـٰلِمُونَ
(10) O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; Nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, Nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith [i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked"]. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zâlimûn (wrong-doers).

١١) يَـٰٓأَيُّہَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ ٱجۡتَنِبُواْ كَثِيرً۬ا مِّنَ ٱلظَّنِّ إِنَّ بَعۡضَ ٱلظَّنِّ إِثۡمٌ۬*!ۖ وَلَا تَجَسَّسُواْ وَلَا يَغۡتَب بَّعۡضُكُم بَعۡضًا*!ۚ أَيُحِبُّ أَحَدُڪُمۡ أَن يَأۡڪُلَ لَحۡمَ أَخِيهِ مَيۡتً۬ا فَكَرِهۡتُمُوهُ*!ۚ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ*!ۚ إِنَّ ٱللَّهَ تَوَّابٌ۬ رَّحِيمٌ۬

(11) O you who believe! Avoid much suspicion, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting)[] . And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the One Who forgives and accepts repentance, Most Merciful.

q8penpals

Salam

In the amount of time he took to send an SMS to his wife AND call 2 other family members, he could have called his wife and talked to her in person, that's all I'm saying. I do not believe that in the countries that allow dating that people should be "broke-up with" over emails and messages, and I surely will never think it is ok for a guy to just message his wife and say he divorcing her, especially when he called others to let them know (so it wasn't a case of "I don't have phone access" or "I can't afford it").

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

If the girl didn't complain? and it is not against sharia who are we to complain?

If the man I was about to marry sends me *a word* through someone (not even a text!..just a word!) that he's divorcing me because he's seeking jihad in Allah's sake..I WILL GO PRAY 2 RUKA'AS FOR HIM ASKING ALLAH TO GRANT HIM SHAHADA AND FIRDAWS!..I will make dua'a for him non-stop..and I will go wait by the court door to finalize the divorce so he'd not worry about a thing!

On another note..we should avoid selective reading..the man had NOT consummated the marriage..in other words..he had just made *nikah*..which technically means..in western standards..they were ENGAGED!..so technically..though he made a divorce..he pretty much *broke off an engagement!*..and if the sister objected to it she wouldn't have gone herself and asked for the divorce to be finalized..that must mean she was keen on granting the man what he wanted as quickly and smoothly as possible..and a man who deserts life ALTOGETHER for the sake of Allah..IS VERY FAR FROM COWARDNESS!..the cowards are the men who watch their sisters in deen getting raped by foreign occupation and they dare to turn the channel or toss the newspaper aside because "they felt disturbed!" or here's the better one "they don't want to ruin their mood!"..

May Allah grant that man what he seeks..and may Allah honor the woman who accepted the decision of that man!

mayah

actually we dnt know the truth..jus a news that we can't beleive it 100%.hop we take a lesson from this..divorce is halal but ALLAH hates it.

Imad

ASsalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Maybe he called his wive...do we know anything about if he called his wive yes or no? Do you think the court will believe the wive without any witnesses (evidence)?

That's why has send a message as an evidence. And also he called his friends to be witnesses.

From my point of view he wants his wive to be free. And maybe the wive want divorce because he is in Iraq, she has the right to do so.

So please think about this differend point, because we have to think good about our muslim brothers and sisters.

Think about this

Sallamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We are discussing two sides of the same coin. In his love for jihad..this man could not be concerned about the details of life. He divorced his wife such that she could remarry.
The sister writing is simply be sympathetic to the other side. One would expect a little more tact in divorcing.
None, is wrong. May Allah subhana talla grant the man his battle for Islam and may Allah subhana talla grant the wife a husband to bear children for Islam.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
He shouldn't have divorced her because he deprived her of being the wife of a potential martyr which is actually quite an honour in itself. He should have been more considerate in that sense, but apart from that, nothing wrong with giving her the green light to get married again which is what his intention appears to have been, its just he did it too early.

wa-alaykum salam wa rahmatullaah

happy_now

I don't see how anyone can defend him. It looks like he cared so little for her that he could not even be bothered with doing the right thing...he just sent a text. :(

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I don't see how anyone can defend him. It looks like he cared so little for her that he could not even be bothered with doing the right thing...he just sent a text. :(

He cared more about Hoor al 'Ayn then his wife in dunya, seirously I dont see what the big deal is with this? why is that difficult to understand/accept? This is exasperating.

wa-alaykum salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

It is a big deal if we understand that nonIslamic views make us question what is considered to be fair in Islamic terms. We are comparing apples and oranges. We have not humbled ourselves to understand that the judge agreed to this. It is time to move on. Let us keep them in our dua.

Walaikum assalaam

happy_now

didn't mean to exasperate you. This is the type of thing i find so disturbing about Islam. Not only that it happens, but that it's so accepted. Seems that every time I turn around, I find something outlandish and i feel almost repsonsible because i have become a muslim. I feel like now, every Christian, Jew, Hindu, Buddhist, Atheist......they all see me as one those people that divorce spouse via text, do honor killings, female circumcisions....kill mickey mouse....

I totally just don't get it...and i am exasperated too.