Guantanamo Prisoner Released After Torture

Guantanamo detainee arrives in UK

Binyam Mohamed, a former British resident held at Guantanamo Bay, has arrived in the United Kingdom after being released from the United States prison camp.

Mohamed, who landed at RAF Northolt in London, has spent seven years in US captivity without charge, with more than four of those at the camp in Cuba.

He claims he was tortured in custody, after being arrested in Pakistan in 2002 on suspicion of training and plotting to set off a radioactive bomb.

Mohamed, whose British residency has expired, was accompanied by UK police officers and could be sent back to his native Ethiopia.

US accused

In a statement, Mohamed said: "I have been through an experience that I never thought to encounter in my darkest nightmares.

"Before this ordeal, 'torture' was an abstract word for me. I could never have imagined that I would be its victim.

"It is difficult for me to believe that I was abducted, hauled from one country to the next, and tortured in medieval ways, all orchestrated by the United States government."

Clive Stafford Smith, Mohamed's lawyer and the founder of Reprieve, a UK-based legal action charity, said he hoped the British government would "allow Binyam's immediate release".

Stafford Smith said: "He is a victim who has suffered more than any human being should ever suffer.

"He just wants to go somewhere very quiet and try to recover. Every moment that he is held compounds the abuse he has endured."

Immigration status

In a statement, Reprieve said Mohamed said he wished to thank "all those in Britain who have worked for his freedom, including many members of the British government".

Binyam's sister Zuhra said she was "so glad and so happy, more than words can express".

"I am so thankful for everything that was done for Binyam to make this day come true," she said.

In his statement, Mohamed accused the British government of colluding with foreign governments during his alleged abuse and torture.

He said: "For myself, the very worst moment came when I realised in Morocco that the people who were torturing me were receiving questions and materials from British intelligence.

"I had met with British intelligence in Pakistan. I had been open with them. Yet the very people who I had hoped would come to my rescue, I later realised, had allied themselves with my abusers."

Mohamed originally entered the UK as an Ethiopian refugee when he was a teenager and British authorities say they will review his immigration status when he returns to the country.

Hunger strike

The decision to release Mohamed follows a formal request by London to Washington in August 2007, asking for the remaining five British residents held at the camp on Cuba to be released.

The transfer will be the first of a Guantanamo prisoner since Barack Obama, the US president, who has pledged to close the camp, took office last month.

Mohamed says he was tortured and abused by foreign agents while in custody in Pakistan and later in Morocco, before being transferred to Guantanamo in 2004.

But Washington has denied that he was subjected to "extraordinary rendition", and Morocco said it never held him.

British diplomats and a doctor travelled to Guantanamo Bay more than a week ago to assess Mohamed's medical condition.

He had been on a hunger strike for more than a month and his lawyers were concerned that he could die.

Mohamed was persuaded to end his hunger strike and assessed to be healthy enough to be flown back to Britain.

Source:http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2009/02/200922311723804118.html

More Info:

http://cageprisoners.com/articles.php?id=28067

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam.

Dearest brother let us not forget Dr. Aafia Siddiqui and Dr. Sami Al-Arian. They are still political prisoners...and the list goes on. As usual I urge the brothers and sisters of TTI to write to them. Cage prisoners has the addresses.

Truth91

Allahu Akbar!
This brother has been held without charge for 4 years and has now been returned to the UK and told he is not going to be prosecuted by the UK police(this is to the best of my knowlege)

InshALLAH all the brothers detained there will be released as soon as possible.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
InsyAllah, finally there will be lights towards end of the tunnel. Obama promised closure of Gitmo because he said in his campaign "America do not torture people". But he did not mentioned (pls update me if he did) about many secret prison (torture centre) that operated by CIA accross the world.

Whatever it is, we shall never forget what US did to our brothers in Gitmo.