Have you ever been in Love

Living Soul

:salam2:

If a girl loves a boy from afar, has she committed a sin?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Islam came to close the doors that lead to evil and sin, and is keen to block all the means that may lead to corruption of hearts and minds. Love and infatuation between the sexes are among the worst of problems.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/129):

Love is a psychological sickness, and if it grows strong it affects the body, and becomes a physical sickness, either as diseases of the brain, which are said to be diseases caused by waswaas, or diseases of the body such as weakness, emaciation and so on. End quote.

And he (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/132):

Loving a non-mahram woman leads to many negative consequences, the full extent of which is known only to the Lord of people. It is a sickness that affects the religious commitment of the sufferer, then it may also affect his mind and body. End quote.

It is sufficient to note that one of the effects of love of a member of the opposite sex is enslavement of the heart which is held captive to the loved one. So love is a door that leads to humiliation and servility. That is sufficient to put one off this sickness.

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/185):

If a man is in love with a woman, even if she is permissible for him, his heart remains enslaved to her, and she can control him as she wishes, even though outwardly he appears to be her master, because he is her husband; but in fact he is her prisoner and slave, especially if she is aware of his need and love for her. In that case, she will control him like a harsh and oppressive master controls his abject slave who cannot free himself from him. Rather he is worse off than that, because enslavement of the heart is worse than enslavement of the body. End quote.

Attachment to the opposite sex will not happen to a heart that is filled with love of Allaah; it only affects a heart that is empty and weak, so it is able to gain control of it, then when it becomes strong and powerful it is able to defeat the love of Allaah and lead the person into shirk. Hence it is said: Love is the action of an empty heart.

If the heart is devoid of the love and remembrance of the Most Merciful, and is a stranger to speaking to Him, it will be filled with love of women, images and listening to music.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/135):

If the heart loves Allaah alone and is sincerely devoted to Him, it will not even think of loving anyone else in the first place, let alone falling in love. When a heart falls in love, that is due to the lack of love for Allaah alone. Hence because Yoosuf loved Allaah and was sincerely devoted to Him, he did not fall into the trap of love, rather Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Thus it was, that We might turn away from him evil and illegal sexual intercourse. Surely, he was one of Our chosen, (guided) slaves”

[Yoosuf 12:24]

As for the wife of al-‘Azeez, she was a mushrik as were her people, hence she fell into this trap. End quote.

The Muslim must save himself from this fate and not fall short in guarding against it and ridding himself of it. If he falls short in that regard and follows the path of love, by continuing to steal haraam glances or listening to haraam things, and being careless in the way he speaks to the opposite sex, etc, then he is affected by love as a result, then he is sinning and will be subject to punishment for his actions.

How many people have been careless at the beginning of this problem, and thought that they were able to rid themselves of it whenever they wanted, or that they could stop at a certain limit and not go any further, until the sickness took a strong hold and no doctor or remedy could help?

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Rawdat al-Muhibbeen (147):

If the cause happens by his choice, he has no excuse for the consequences that are beyond his control, but if the reason is haraam, the drunkard had no excuse. Undoubtedly following one glance with another and allowing oneself to keep thinking about the person is like drinking intoxicants: he is to be blamed for the cause. End quote.

If a person strives to keep away from the things that lead to this serious sickness, by lowering his gaze and not looking at haraam things, not listening to haraam things, and averting the passing thoughts that the shaytaan casts into his mind, then after that something of the evils of this sickness befalls him because of a passing glance or a transaction that is basically permissible, and his heart becomes attached to a woman, there is no sin on him for that in sha Allaah, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah burdens not a person beyond his scope”

[al-Baqarah 2:286]

Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (11/10):

If that does not result from carelessness or transgression on his part, then there is no sin on him for what befalls him. End quote.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Rawdat al-Muhibbeen (147):

If love occurs for a reason that is not haraam, the person is not to be blamed, such as one who loved his wife or slave woman, then he separated from her but the love remained and did not leave him. He is not to be blamed for that. Similarly if there was a sudden glance then he averted his gaze, but love took hold of his heart without him meaning it to, he must, however, ward it off and resist it. End quote.

But he must treat his heart by putting a stop to the effects of this love, and by filling his heart with love of Allaah and seeking His help in that. He should not feel too shy to consult intelligent and trustworthy people for advice or consult some doctors and psychologists, because he may find some remedy with them. In doing that he must be patient, seek reward, remain chaste and keep quiet, and Allaah will decree reward for him in sha Allaah.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/133):

If he is tested with love but he remains chaste and is patient, then he will be rewarded for fearing Allaah. It is known from shar’i evidence that if a person remains chaste and avoids haraam things in looking, word and deeds, and he keeps quiet about it and does not speak of it, so that there will be haraam talk about that, whether by complaining to another person or committing evil openly, or pursuing the beloved one in any way, and he is patient in obeying Allaah and avoiding sin, despite the pain of love that he feels in his heart, just as one who is afflicted with a calamity bears the pain of it with patience, then he will be one of those who fear Allaah and are patient, “Verily, he who fears Allaah with obedience to Him (by abstaining from sins and evil deeds, and by performing righteous good deeds), and is patient, then surely, Allaah makes not the reward of the Muhsinoon (good‑doers) to be lost” [Yoosuf 12:90].

:wasalam:

q8penpals

Salam

Soo, according to this posting, men are not allowed to love their wives?

~~~~~~~~~
Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/185):

If a man is in love with a woman, even if she is permissible for him, his heart remains enslaved to her, and she can control him as she wishes, even though outwardly he appears to be her master, because he is her husband; but in fact he is her prisoner and slave, especially if she is aware of his need and love for her. In that case, she will control him like a harsh and oppressive master controls his abject slave who cannot free himself from him. Rather he is worse off than that, because enslavement of the heart is worse than enslavement of the body. End quote.

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in Majmoo’ al-Fataawa (10/129):

Love is a psychological sickness, and if it grows strong it affects the body, and becomes a physical sickness, either as diseases of the brain, which are said to be diseases caused by waswaas, or diseases of the body such as weakness, emaciation and so on. End quote.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am sorry, but to me, this sounds crazy. Didn't Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) love Khadija and Aisha and other of his wives?

duran

Salam

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am sorry, but to me, this sounds crazy. Didn't Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) love Khadija and Aisha and other of his wives?

Sister I think you misunderstood the post, what the article and Ulama such as Shaykhul Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah are saying is that LOVE must be controlled, and it has to be Halal, such as loving your wife, but once you lose the control, you will leave your duty and always want to do what SHE wants, not what ALLAH wants.

for example, ponder on this short story

once there was an Mu'adin (person who calls people to prayer), and one day he saw a beautiful lady (non muslim), he left the masjid and went to her, he loved her so much that he said I will do anything for you, then she said, first leave Islam...he left Islam for her...

can you imagine that? I'm not 100% sure if this story is true but it shows the power of uncontrollable love.

By the way, Shaykh Islam Ibn Taymiyah is the greatest Alim (scholar) and he will not give fatwa out of his mind...he is obviously saying those things because he knows the effect it will have on person.

I hope you understand...

Abu Talib

Feeling low
Salam

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try to read it once more.. don't say it sounds crazy.. it's been quoted by Ibn Tayymiyah Rahim ullah and Ibn Al Qayyum Rahim ullah please consider there level of intelligence of Islam.

Talat

Love is one of the greatest blessings Allah has bestowed on humanity. Allah has created human nature in such a way that a person will take pleasure from loving and being loved.
Being with people who live by the moral values of the Qur'an, enjoying love and friendship with them, brings a believer greater pleasure than many other blessings. Therefore, the Paradise that Allah has promised to His servants whom He loves and with whom He is well pleased is a place of extraordinary beauty in which true love and friendship will be experienced with enormous joy forever. The information Allah provides about the life of Paradise in the Qur'an, always refers to joy, friendship, love, conversation, pleasing words and peace.
Ar-room(30:21) And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts); verily in that are Signs

q8penpals

Salam

Can I ask if the original writings were NOT in English? Perhaps something did not translate well, because what is actually WRITTEN is easily read as being summarized by "Love is bad".

Aisya al-Humaira

الحمدلله على كل حال
Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Love isnt a bad thing. In fact, Allaah created this world with an abundance of Love and Mercies. And the greatest love ever felt in this world is actually love to Our Lord,Our Creator. That is one true eternal love. Even when one is married, love to Allaah and Prophet Muhammad :saw: should be felt the most, then only comes love for your spouse, your children and others.

Furthermore, if one decided not to marry just because he/she doesnt want to 'corrupt' their heart with human's love, its against the sunnah.

Narrated Anas bin Malik: A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion, is not from me (not one of my followers)." (Book #62, Hadith #1) [Bukhari, Muslim]"

One of the type of man love dearly by Allaah are those who their love for Allaah overcome their love for their spouse.

According to a hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Our Lord admires two men: a man who leaves his mattress and cover, and slips away from his wife and lover, to go and pray. Allaah says, ‘O My angels, look at My slave. He has left his mattress and cover and slipped away from his lover and wife to pray, out of hope for what is with Me and out of fear of what is with Me.” (Reported by Ahmad. It is a hasan report. Saheeh al-Targheeb, 258).

As for me, Ive been in love before. And since Im the type who have an issue expressing my feelings, once I loved, it will be felt deep down in my heart. Right until the inner heart. But I must say, its during those times Ive suffered so bad. I suffered because it was a wrong love. A fake love. And it happened due to lack of Allaah's love in my heart. Just like what the 1st post mentioned about. Im not saying we cant love another human and must only love Allaah, but in fact, we can. Prophet Muhammad :saw2:, our best example, loved Saiditina Khadijah radiyallahu anha so dearly even until when she had passed away, she was still the woman in his heart.

But I'll never forget though. The moment when I gave up something for the sake of Allaah. Thats when Allaah The Most Gracious and Most Merciful gave me a very undescribable peace inside my heart. MashaAllaah. I'll never forget that. I just felt a bliss peace. Contentment in my heart even if there's hardship going over in my life. SubhanaAllaah. I just wish to find it back. The bliss unconditional inner peace.

As in my case, Im just saying that try not to fall in love before its the right time which is after marriage. Either before or after one is married, love to Allaah and His Messenger will always be the greatest. If both the woman and man clearly loves each other so much, then based on a hadeeth ;

Ibn Abbaas radiyallahu anhu reported that a man came to the Prophet :saw: and said, “We have an orphan girl under our custody. A poor man and a rich man have both courted her. She prefers the poor man, but we prefer the rich man. (What should we do?)” The Prophet :saw: responded:

“For those who like each other, nothing has proven as good as marriage.”

Sunan ibn Maajah, Volume 3, Book 9, Hadeeth Number 1,847, p. 59; al – Haakim, 2/160; and al – Bayhaqee, 7/78. Verified to be authentic by Sheikh al – Albaanee in as – Saheehah, Number 624.

The conclusion is, loving your spouse and others is neither wrong nor bad. But love to Allaah should always be the top priority. As long as we can ensure that all worldly matters would never overtake our love to Allaah The All-Mighty, then there shouldnt be any problem. :)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2354

Allah knows best in every matter.

Forgive me if there happens to be any erred or mistakes in my words.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Fahra

He he

This is a nice discussion..
Different people with different kind of thoughts..
I just look at a simple positive side..
Don't think too much..
I love the way Rasulullah Saw love Khadijah..
Seperated by different age but what a wonderful love..
Just like my mama and papa..
Ups! I mean only about the love and age,ok.
He he..

Wassalammualaikum friends

arzafar

Salam

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes but his love wasn't excessive. it didnt get in the way of preaching, praying on time, being fair to his wives, modesty etc.

Any 'love' that makes a person forget Allah and His commands (i.e. prevents someone from loving Allah and Muhammad pbuh more than anything else), is indeed kufr!

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

LOVE is love only when it is for Allahs sake rest is passion and an overdose of it can kill.imaan.

there was a scholar of islam who had a very beautiful wife to the extent that when ever he saw her he could not control himself and had intercourse.no doubt this adversly affected his religious studies and health and mind stability.

as for the prphets saw love for hazrat khadija -we r too below to even catch a glimpse of that except what the prophet told hazrat aisha "when i was alone she supported me with everything shes had .....'

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalam'alaykum

Salam

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are different types of love sis. The best and purest form of it is loving someone for the sake of Allaah alone.

Some types of love/infatuation can be described as nothing more than psychological sicknesses, it causes alot of damage to the individual concerned.

Living Soul

Assalamualaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Love isnt a bad thing. In fact, Allaah created this world with an abundance of Love and Mercies. And the greatest love ever felt in this world is actually love to Our Lord,Our Creator. That is one true eternal love. Even when one is married, love to Allaah and Prophet Muhammad :saw: should be felt the most, then only comes love for your spouse, your children and others.

Furthermore, if one decided not to marry just because he/she doesnt want to 'corrupt' their heart with human's love, its against the sunnah.

Narrated Anas bin Malik: A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion, is not from me (not one of my followers)." (Book #62, Hadith #1) [Bukhari, Muslim]"

One of the type of man love dearly by Allaah are those who their love for Allaah overcome their love for their spouse.

According to a hadeeth narrated by Ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him), the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Our Lord admires two men: a man who leaves his mattress and cover, and slips away from his wife and lover, to go and pray. Allaah says, ‘O My angels, look at My slave. He has left his mattress and cover and slipped away from his lover and wife to pray, out of hope for what is with Me and out of fear of what is with Me.” (Reported by Ahmad. It is a hasan report. Saheeh al-Targheeb, 258).

As for me, Ive been in love before. And since Im the type who have an issue expressing my feelings, once I loved, it will be felt deep down in my heart. Right until the inner heart. But I must say, its during those times Ive suffered so bad. I suffered because it was a wrong love. A fake love. And it happened due to lack of Allaah's love in my heart. Just like what the 1st post mentioned about. Im not saying we cant love another human and must only love Allaah, but in fact, we can. Prophet Muhammad :saw2:, our best example, loved Saiditina Khadijah radiyallahu anha so dearly even until when she had passed away, she was still the woman in his heart.

But I'll never forget though. The moment when I gave up something for the sake of Allaah. Thats when Allaah The Most Gracious and Most Merciful gave me a very undescribable peace inside my heart. MashaAllaah. I'll never forget that. I just felt a bliss peace. Contentment in my heart even if there's hardship going over in my life. SubhanaAllaah. I just wish to find it back. The bliss unconditional inner peace.

As in my case, Im just saying that try not to fall in love before its the right time which is after marriage. Either before or after one is married, love to Allaah and His Messenger will always be the greatest. If both the woman and man clearly loves each other so much, then based on a hadeeth ;

Ibn Abbaas radiyallahu anhu reported that a man came to the Prophet :saw: and said, “We have an orphan girl under our custody. A poor man and a rich man have both courted her. She prefers the poor man, but we prefer the rich man. (What should we do?)” The Prophet :saw: responded:

“For those who like each other, nothing has proven as good as marriage.”

Sunan ibn Maajah, Volume 3, Book 9, Hadeeth Number 1,847, p. 59; al – Haakim, 2/160; and al – Bayhaqee, 7/78. Verified to be authentic by Sheikh al – Albaanee in as – Saheehah, Number 624.

The conclusion is, loving your spouse and others is neither wrong nor bad. But love to Allaah should always be the top priority. As long as we can ensure that all worldly matters would never overtake our love to Allaah The All-Mighty, then there shouldnt be any problem. :)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2354

Allah knows best in every matter.

Forgive me if there happens to be any erred or mistakes in my words.

Waalaykummusalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Jazakallaho Khairn sister.

You have explained the thread very positively. The reason why I post this thread was that I see many girls and boys watch romantic movies and read novels and create ideals in their minds. They fall in love when they see any body resembles their ideals. Its is nothing but a "sweet poisonous candy". It is like a slow poisoning which destroys the person's inner. It attacks heart, minds, soul and everything that is related to the affected person.

Love for Allah SWT should be first. Every other Love should be for the sake of Allah only.

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

refering to the love as we understand it today whether haram or HALAL leading to haram (eg how many muslim couples IN LOVE put up their PIC OF LOVE -made for each other
and do all things like cuddlig in public or wearing skimpy clothes because they r just married.

it will b crazy to the good souls but this is what happens .
at the least the newly married person misses his/her fajr prayers if not all prayers.

how do v h the example of prophet saw who takes permission from umm muslimeen hazrat aisha and goes to pray tahajjud.

ur wives and kids and business etc is a test. now love whomever u want keeping this in mind

Living Soul

Salam

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

And love is no good?

~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sister if you read the post again you will see that the kind of love it describes about is the Haram love. If a man loves his wife so much that he becomes her slave then such love becomes Haram. A muslim should only love his/her spouse for seeking the pleasure of Allah and not for his own pleasure.

I can give you an example of it. A person builds a house and keeps a window with the intention of hearing the sound of Azan (call for prayer). While an other person also builds a house and keeps a window for getting air.

The first person will get rewards from Allah for keeping a window because of his intention. Although air will come to him automatically. But the other person will not get such reward because of his intention for only air.

Similarly if one loves for the sake of Allah then Allah will put love between the spouses which will be blessed one.

Hope you understand my point.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

We have to be careful with our words. The essence of Love is the Divine. How we objectify that love is where we stand in our relationship to Allah. However, it may be due to translation, the original post, upon reading did not make anything clear.
As human beings one way to experience Love is through our relationships. The original post limited the multitude expressions of love to simple "eye candy". The reader thus experiences a preachyness. We are not to judge so quickly. In the beginning of any marriage it is dominated by the baser levels of the expression of love. Love does not come overnight.
And in a marriage it is perfectly fine to love your mate. There are times when the expression of love is very physical.
We have to understand that we have to achieve a balance between our physical and spiritual states. We need the physical expression to perpetuate our breed. So sometimes we have to shut the window.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o alaikum

SubhanAllah, very very beautiful post :) and i learned alot thank u so much for sharng JazakAllah khair to the poster and the people wh replied and shared great knowledge