Heinz Salad Cream

Noah

Does any one know if Heinz Slald Cream is Halal? I think it has spirit vinegar, which is alcohol right?

Also, what is the best way to know if a product is Halal or Haram? Most people have been telling me that if it's sutable for vegitarians it should be OK. But surely suitable for vegitarians only shows if something has animal by-products not neccessarily any alcohol.

was 'salam.

amyaishazouaoui

:salam2:

spirit vinegar is ethanoic acid
alcohol is ethanol,

totally different chemical

if you want a full chemistry lesson just ask

:wasalam:

Noah

spirit vinegar is ethanoic acid
alcohol is ethanol,

totally different chemical

if you want a full chemistry lesson just ask

I found this on the net: Spirit vinegar is distilled before the acetification process is complete and therefore contains a small amount of alcohol which changes the flavor dimension. Spirit vinegar is a HARAAM ingredient.

That's why I was asking. Anyways, Is Heinz Salad Cream Halal or Haram.

was 'salam

amyaishazouaoui

People rarely question if any medicinal drug we take are halal or haram when infact many are perpared in ethanol or have ethanol as a by product.

People never question if that fruit juice that went out of date yesterday is halal or haram even though it is "fermenting" and has trace elements of alcohol in it.

Not to mention the over ripe bananas or dates.

What is the basis of something being halal or haram.
Is it because you may get intoxicated??
Is it just straight, no ethanol what so ever.??

visionusman

being content
Assalamualaikum

I do have a question that requires some chemistry expertise so may be sister amyaishazouaoui can help. I know that not all forms of alcohol are haraam. However I would like to know how spirit vinegar is prepared. Does the preparation involve treating/fermenting spirit or alcohol before it becomes vinegar? i.e. is vinegar prepared from alcohol? That is my only concern. Please do let me know thx.

Globalpeace

Banned
W-Salam,

So we are doing the Spirit vinegar again!

This thread will get outta hand. :)
Assalamualaikum

I do have a question that requires some chemistry expertise so may be sister amyaishazouaoui can help. I know that not all forms of alcohol are haraam. However I would like to know how spirit vinegar is prepared. Does the preparation involve treating/fermenting spirit or alcohol before it becomes vinegar? i.e. is vinegar prepared from alcohol? That is my only concern. Please do let me know thx.

visionusman

being content
W-Salam,

So we are doing the Spirit vinegar again!

This thread will get outta hand. :)
Well that is because i never did get this point clarified. I'm not interested in any debate, just want to know. And to make my querry clear; I am talking of ethanol not any kind of alcohol. so the question is wether spirit vinegar is prepared from ethanol or not?

Noah

People rarely question if any medicinal drug we take are halal or haram when infact many are perpared in ethanol or have ethanol as a by product.

People never question if that fruit juice that went out of date yesterday is halal or haram even though it is "fermenting" and has trace elements of alcohol in it.

Not to mention the over ripe bananas or dates.

What is the basis of something being halal or haram.
Is it because you may get intoxicated??
Is it just straight, no ethanol what so ever.??

Sister

If your trying to be condesending DONT!

I'm just asking a simple question.
Alhamdu Lillah, I just became a Muslim 10 days ago, so I'm still trying to learn what I can and can't eat. I've heard so many contradicting statements about food. Some say that at a certain %age of alcohol and / or animal by-products is halal and some say that not even 0.1% of either is halal.

If you dont have anything worthwhile to add, why post?

Obviously alot of things i.e. ripe fruit has an alcohol content. I'm not disputing that. I'm here to learn, as is everyone else.

was 'salam

*NB I started writing this post before Global Peace & visionusman wrote theirs - i don't know what debate there reffering too*

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
assalamu alaikum brother Noah

first of all, a warm welcome to TTI and allahu akbar that you reverted to islam. I am really pleased to know that.

just to point out, amyaishazouaoui is actuallay a sister (a great sister who is also a revert and has studied chemistry).
Please don't be upset the way she responded to your query as I am sure she did not intended anything, but a sisterly answer.

jazakallah khair for your persuit of knowledge. i found your question and replies to it very informative.

wassalam

visionusman

being content
Lol. stay cool brother Noah. We have actually had a lot of debates on this topic before and that is why we said what we did. No one is being patronising. Welcome to the forum and to the religion. We will inshAllah look forward to your very intelligent contributions I'm sure.

Globalpeace

Banned
Asslamo Allaikum,

It has been thoroughly discussed here, please see my post about difference of opinion, Insha'Allah.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12736

Please ask away as me & visionusman mess around all the time.

Sister

If your trying to be condesending DONT!

I'm just asking a simple question.
Alhamdu Lillah, I just became a Muslim 10 days ago, so I'm still trying to learn what I can and can't eat. I've heard so many contradicting statements about food. Some say that at a certain %age of alcohol and / or animal by-products is halal and some say that not even 0.1% of either is halal.

If you dont have anything worthwhile to add, why post?

Obviously alot of things i.e. ripe fruit has an alcohol content. I'm not disputing that. I'm here to learn, as is everyone else.

was 'salam

*NB I started writing this post before Global Peace & visionusman wrote theirs - i don't know what debate there reffering too*

amyaishazouaoui

Firstly....welcome to the deen, sorry some of us (me) bark is worse than our bite!!!

I am not being condesending. Brother, a word of advice, dont trust everything you see on the internet. Do not let your usual radar fall into disrepair, in other words dont trust people you wouldnt normally trust just because they are muslim.

it is good that you are asking these questions and inshallah we can find your answers.

ok here we go. two links are below. Ethanoic acid seems to be produced from methanol, it is an alcohol in the chemistry sense but not haram. If we drink methanol it will kill us, that is why they put purple dye and stuff to make you vomit in meths because then it wont kill you.

if you want to check out the links below.
http://www.greener-industry.org/pages/ethanoicAcid/6ethanoicAcidPM2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanoic_acid#Methanol_carbonylation

Noah

Jazakallahu Khayra.

Sorry if I came across abrupt, lol.

It seems that nearly everything in the shops are suspicious, I'm trying to avoid everything I should - however, I firstly need to know what it is that I need to avoid, before I can start avoiding it :p

was 'salam

amyaishazouaoui

Hey, dont worry about stuff, your trying which is the main thing. Just try your best, thats all that can be asked of you, even when you do that you ARE going to make mistkes.

just check out this lot from the other day!!! (dont laugh too much)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8656

Just have good intentions and inshallah the rest will fall into place, just keep you sense of humor and enjoy the journey!

May allah take care of our shiny sparkly new bro!! ameen:tti_sister:

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Alhamdu Lillah, I just became a Muslim 10 days ago, so I'm still trying to learn what I can and can't eat.

Subhanallaah Noah! Did you tell us this here before and I missed it or what?!

Masha Allaah,

Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar

Alhamdulillaah for showing His Mercy to you and guiding you to His Deen brother.

Take it step by step insha Allaah, try to learn the most important issues, such as prayer etc.

Don't overburden yourself in this start brother, for it may become to hard to get used to a new way of life straight away, and you might then have problems.

Take it easy insha Allaah.

Welcome to the family dear brother, may Allaah swt help you through the start and keep you firm in His Deen insha Allaaha ta'alaa.

wasalaam.

justoneofmillion

Assalamualaikum

assalam,here is a vid about the subject inschallah it helps i liked it very much and i wanted to post it hope it helps brother
lesson in fiqh by sheik Assim Al Hakeem

[vg]1765570348827700006&hl[/vg]

Noah

Subhanallaah Noah! Did you tell us this here before and I missed it or what?!

Masha Allaah,

Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar
Allaahu akbar

Alhamdulillaah for showing His Mercy to you and guiding you to His Deen brother.

Take it step by step insha Allaah, try to learn the most important issues, such as prayer etc.

Don't overburden yourself in this start brother, for it may become to hard to get used to a new way of life straight away, and you might then have problems.

Take it easy insha Allaah.

Welcome to the family dear brother, may Allaah swt help you through the start and keep you firm in His Deen insha Allaaha ta'alaa.

wasalaam.

JazakAllahu Khayra brother for the dua'a

With all the new stuff to learn I totally forgot to tell you about it - lol, your 'super moderating' skills havent failed! you didn't miss the post.

Alhamdu Lillah, I've learnt most of the salah within the first week - I'm just working on the 'closing dua'a' at the end and learning another surah inshaALLAh.

ALLAH ta'alaa makes it easy if you wish to learn!

The only thing I'm having troble with is the new diet - my parents dont know yet, inshaALLAH they soon will.
As they dont know, they keep serving pork :( yuk! So I'm spending all my time avoiding it, lol. So its making me abit CRAZY! :tantrum1:

inshaALLAH everything will fall into place.

was 'salam

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Beef Shawarma

For get the salad cream. Go get a beef shawarma. LOL.

Just kidding. It is cool that us muslims can kid around with each other. I think that the brother is being careful by asking about spirit vinegar. It is something that we can all learn.

umm hussain

Jazakallahu Khayra.

Sorry if I came across abrupt, lol.

It seems that nearly everything in the shops are suspicious, I'm trying to avoid everything I should - however, I firstly need to know what it is that I need to avoid, before I can start avoiding it :p

was 'salam

Asalam alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakhatu

Welcome to Islam and welcome to the site as well. You could try this site. It has a lot of Halal/haram foods, ingredients inshallah it will help you.

http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com/General.do?menu=Home&eventAction=init