Help With Reading The Qur'an for The Tirst Time Please.

Redneck

I have just finished reading Approaching The Qur'an by Michael Sells. It is
a translation and commentary on Suras 1,53:1-18 and 81-144 . I know although these are early revelations, they are placed towards the end of The Qur'an.

I'm wondering if there is an order to reading The Qur'an that would be helpful to a first time reader.

Also, I don't want to leave a copy of The Qur'an lying around, so I'm going to be reading from the internet.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
I have just finished reading Approaching The Qur'an by Michael Sells. It is
a translation and commentary on Suras 1,53:1-18 and 81-144 . I know although these are early revelations, they are placed towards the end of The Qur'an.

I'm wondering if there is an order to reading The Qur'an that would be helpful to a first time reader.

Also, I don't want to leave a copy of The Qur'an lying around, so I'm going to be reading from the internet.

:salam2:

Yes the Suras are not ordered according to the date of revelation. But I think it's absolutely good to start with the Suras u have just pointed to, because they are shorter (the verses themselves are usually short) and generally easier, it's a very good beginning.

Other brothers and sisters are more experienced on what the best translation of Quran is and can help u very well on this inshalla ;)

justoneofmillion

hi there redneck well i do not think there is any order requirement for reading the Quran the Quran goes in endless repetions and change of rythms that you can open it at any place and fall on verses that deal with every aspects of life emphasising and insisting on the the message being conveyed rather than the historical factor it is not a history book!! so the Quran is less intrested in telling for example the life of the honorable prophets of Allah swt in great detail and in a mythological manner but more on the practical lessons that should be taken from the behaviour of these muslim prophets.when dealing with certain situation....etc i would suggest to you an amazing book instead written by brother Neal Robinson who converted to islam after working on the dating of suras,and periods of revelation for years!he acctually tried the datation of every ayat and got slapped right on with him realising he was trying to do thre immpossible! alhamdulillah and with no other alternative left but to become a muslim the book is called"Discovering the Quran a contemprary approach to a veiled text" here is the link below good luck!Allah hafiz

http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Quran-Contemporary-Approach-Veiled/dp/1589010248

wassalam