Hijab Stress...

newtoIslam

Assalamu 'alaykum

Has anyone experienced internal conflict or stress about wearing a hijab? I recently reverted and am presently attending university. I wear my hijab shopping and on walks ect, but for some reason I'm feeling very stressed about wearing it to class the first time for the up coming semester. Part of the reason is I've only told other Muslims of my reversion but not non-muslims and I'm concerned about their reactions.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

:hijabi:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

There just be an old Nike ad: Just do it.

People are so distracted it may take a couple by surprise but within a couple of days they will get over it...now when you convert to the whole outer garment with hijab you become a member of the Ninja nation...but do not stress..there is no need whatsoever.

I

IslamIsSimple

Although many questions can be annoying, if you are patient enough, you can see it as an oppertunity for explaining Islam to others. Theres a hadeeth that says bringing one to Islam is better than the world and everything in it. Even if it doesnt happen, chances are you might spark the interest that might lead someone to Islam, even if its years later. Your very presense among non Muslims will have that effect.

Secondly, despite the fact that it can be eventually felt as a part of your identity, pride, and so on.. and the fact that it will only be a matter of time before everyone around you is used to it (therefore nothing to be stressed about really) theres always people out there that will simply feel jealous. Some girls think "oh so you think you're better than us, and that we're .. (well.. you know.)" Others might simply dislike the fact that you're Muslim.

If thats the worst case scenario its not really something to worry about too much. Especially that on the other hand, you wouldnt believe how many people would view you with so much respect. Even when they do actually show it. So remember the bright side too.

Third, remember, a believer does not feel any pain, even a thorn in his/her foot, except that Allah will forgive sins, so remember, that nothing goes without you getting reward in return. And like I said, remind yourself of the bright side as well. And besides, although I dont know your town, but I think in Canada many are used to hijab so its not like you're in a small town in Alabama.

I think insha'Allah its just a matter of time and everyone will get used to it and theres nothing to be stressed about, sister. Usually the stress is about the unknown, not knowing what to expect, while in reality if something actually happened it wouldnt cause any stress. The stress probably is more about the new experience and not knowing what to expect, more than the hijab itself. Anyway, seeing how people react, both positivly and possibly negativly, will really be a nice experience to think about and reflect on.

So put your trust in Allah, sister, and remember that theres not really much to worry about, and even if there were, rewards from Allah will be equal to or more than anything that would bother you. Insha'Allah everything will be fine. :)

May Allah make everything easy for you and bring tranquility and comfort to your heart.

Although different, but food for thought....the Sheikh of Islam Ibn Taymiyah once said (at a time of war with many enemies around) "What can my enemies do to me? killing me is martyrdom, jailing me is a retreat (to reflect, read etc), and expelling me is tourism. My heaven is in my heart, no one has authority over my heard except for my Lord."

So insha'Allah the issue isnt even close to all that, and finally, you'll get to find out who your real friends are, and who will support you and who wont and who will be neutral. That alone, is a benefit many wish they had.

Granted im a guy so I cant claim to know what its like, but I hope that you find these words helpful.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Wa alaikum salaam

Are these non-muslims your friends? If they are, then the true friends will be shocked initially but that's about it. If they aren't your friends,then don't stress. I am going to be real with you, I wear the niqab to highly jewish populated college and Yes, I get crazy stares all the time. Oh, well I just ignore it and drink my tea or water as If I don't care. It hurts sometimes when I hear people whispeing behind my back or starring but I just supplicate to Allaah for strength to get me through it. Most if not all those people, I will never see again after graduation.

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Also, the area in which I attend school to is also known to be a little racist to people of my complexion so that is two negatives against me but as I was saying...oh well. Once I am out of there in the evenings and back in my comfort zone. I don't care about those stares anymore.

kayleigh

If you start wearing it on the first day of the semester, it's a lot easier than putting it on later. Your new classmates will accept you as-is, whereas if you put it on midway through the semester, they'll ask a lot more questions. I don't think you should worry about it.

ra3iha

in the beginning they will be chocked but they will get used. and u should be proud of Ur Islam .

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
last week I met by chance my best friend of the high school.it was more than 2 years that we didn't see.I was at the supermarket and she called my name like if she always had seen me in hijab.we greeted us,talked and laughed about our past of students...the real friends don't judge how you dress,and even if they do it,it's you who must stand up and be proud of who you are.maybe it's not stress,but fear of the judge of others.when I wore it 4 the 1st time I was embarassed from the sights of those who knew me without it.I wasn't embarassed because of the hijab,but because of my shyness.still now I see people getting surprised by looking at me like if I'm an arabic woman,while I'm italian.they think that hijab is an arabic way to dress(like hindus with the Sari):SMILY335:

Kakorot

:wasalam:

Like others have said, it's better to start wearing hijab before the coming semester. Once you do this, you will feel much relieved.

Sure your friends might be surprised but you will feel as though weights are lifted off your shoulders, and it will be a good feeling, God willing.

After this, it would be so much easier to follow Islam openly, as more people will be aware that you're now Muslim.

yasak80

the place we have been into influences us really.

If you go to umrah , you will feel very comfortable for example.
because you can not see uncovered one !

I think this stres is coming from shayatan
dont let yourself to think negative things.

Soon you will see that hijab makes girls more beautiful....
and you will be with your real friends forever...

luluimaan

Lulu O' La Mer
Salaam sister,

Masha'Allah! Alhamdulillah I am so proud that you have taken the step to wear hijab. As a revert who had to deal with this particular issue, I STRONGLY suggest that you start wearing it now, and don't let anything stop you. Shaytan will whisper in your ear and others around you may behind your back, making you think you should take it off, but don't. The easiest way is to start wearing hijab at the beginning of the semester, when nobody in your classes knows that you haven't been wearing it all your life. That way, they'll be less likely to make outright comments like, "why are you wearing it now?" "Are you a Muslim now?" "You don't have to wear that, you weren't before", as they would if you started wearing it later in the semester. Also, when you start wearing it everywhere, it's easier for people to recognize you, and the longer they see you wearing it, the more they will realize that you're serious about your faith.

As for friends, many others have commented that, if they are truly your friends, they will still be your friends after you put your hijab on. This is COMPLETELY true. I quickly realized who were and who weren't my real friends, and while it's sometimes difficult to accept, you are better off without them. True friends are the only ones you want in your life anyways, as they are most likely to be positive influences on your deen.

I will admit that it is hard to get used to at first. People will stare, and you may start to doubt your decision to wear hijab, but please don't. You need to remember that you're not doing it for them, you're doing it for Allah (swt). Just imagine if you died while you were walking to class, or got hit by a car, or something awful happened, would you want to be proud that you died wearing hijab as a symbol of true faith, or would you want to be like every other non-Muslim?

Pray for Allah (swt) to make wearing the hijab easy on you, and we shall as well insha'Allah. :)

Sisterly love,

Lulu

yasak80

if a person you most love wear something which is unusual,
for example if your father wear a skirt ( sorry for terible example but I couldnot find anything better ) could you stop to love him?
No.
So, we can love someone in any dress.

And also , Mashaallah that you chose to please your Lord than pleasing other people.
So, Allah will make it easy to you ...

newtoIslam

Salaam

Thank you everyone for your guidance and words of encouragement. It's a great relief to know I'm not the only one who has gone through this and it will get better.

:tti_sister:

I.Iman

Wa aleikum assalaam sister.

I feel what you are going true, I've been there and sometimes still are. (My family still have difficulties with me wearing hijab). I have only one advice for you; take only one day or one event at time. Do not think about several days ahead. Think about only tomorrow. Tomorrow I will wear my hijab. And when that day has passed you will see with Allahs help, nothing will happen to you - except you pleased your lord.

I used to stressed myself thinking about a long period, and then I realized it was much easier just planning the next day. And when I met with relatives whom never seen me in hijab, I prepared myself for only that meeting. And you will see, soon you won't even think about wearing the hijab :).

May Allah swt make it easier for you!