Hookahs

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum -

I notice that just about every halal market in my area carries hookahs and hookah tobacco. Its my understanding that smoking of any kind is haram. If this is the case why are hookahs so easily obtained? Why don't they sell cigarettes and beer while they're at it?

Or is smoking a hookah for whatever reason not considered haram?

ximkoyra

Salam

Its my understanding that smoking of any kind is haram. If this is the case why are hookahs so easily obtained?

Yeah, basically the logic follows that since the Quran says that you are not suppose to commit suicide or harm yourself, you shouldn't smoke because overwhelming studies have shown that cigarettes/cigars/etc. do nothing but harm you ; a kind of long term suicide if you will.

Unfortunately, hookahs are seen as a "healthy" alternative to cigarettes/cigars/etc , when the fact of the matter is that they might actually be worse. It's a pretty common belief in a large portion of South Asia and the Middle East. It's baffling to know that Muslim countries are actually some of the heaviest smoking countries in the world :(

Why don't they sell cigarettes and beer while they're at it?

I used to know someone who would never touch alcohol, but had no problem doing ecstasy because it wasn't directly prohibited in the Quran. Some people just really need a good dosage of common sense

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
:wasalam:

but we can have tobacco-free hookahs. :tongue:

in my place so many use hookahs but use fruit-flavoured substance which do not contain tobacco.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
assalamu alaykum

Anything you smoke is bad for you, whether it contains tobacco or not.

Its an ugly habit .

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
:wasalam:

but we can have tobacco-free hookahs. :tongue:

in my place so many use hookahs but use fruit-flavoured substance which do not contain tobacco.

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

well this about which i was going to make a thread.is that allowed........since it can lead one to end up WITH tobbacco hookhas???

it's called shisha down here??is shisha smoking halal??

jazakallah khairan akhi DanyalSAC for bringing this topic:)!!

Ibn Uthaymin

:wasalam:wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

well this about which i was going to make a thread.is that allowed........since it can lead one to end up WITH tobbacco hookhas???

it's called shisha down here??is shisha smoking halal??

jazakallah khairan akhi DanyalSAC for bringing this topic:)!!

Shisha is worse than smoking pal.

"Smoking a shisha pipe is as bad for people as smoking tobacco, the Department of Health and the Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre has found.

People who smoke shisha, or herbal tobacco, can suffer from high carbon monoxide levels, its research revealed.

It found one session of smoking shisha resulted in carbon monoxide levels at least four to five times higher than the amount produced by one cigarette. "

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8214097.stm

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Shisha is worse than smoking pal.
Ahem!! Ahem!!....
"Smoking a shisha pipe is as bad for people as smoking tobacco, the Department of Health and the Tobacco Control Collaborating Centre has found.

People who smoke shisha, or herbal tobacco, can suffer from high carbon monoxide levels, its research revealed.

It found one session of smoking shisha resulted in carbon monoxide levels at least four to five times higher than the amount produced by one cigarette. "

Read more: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8214097.stm
jazakallah khairan for this info akhi.that's real gr8 and ppl here are under the misconception of "it's okay"

as for akhi Danyal Q:

akhi i've seen it here in the subcontinent that when traditional when ppl judge stuff they do it on cultural basis.if something is in their culture it's okay to do it.if not then......:eek:huuuuuh it's a gunnah(sin)...:rolleyes:.mehindi ceremony at the weddings,hand shakes with family non mahrams who are elder then you etc.you can do,it's okay it's cultural:rolleyes:

same goes for hukkah but not cigarrettes,beer and all.

it's ridiculous really.worshipping culture instead of islam.

Zaii

LifeIsAStruggle____
:salam2:

JazakhAllah to bro Danyal for asking about this and JazakhAllah to all the brothers and sisters who have answered the Q well.

Especially in London, UK many youngsters smoke shisha and its widely used by the Middle eastern and those of Indian,Bengali and Pakistani background.

Alhamdulillah none of my family members smoke it and hopefully the members of TTI don't smoke it either.

We need to start educating these youngsters InshAllah.
:salam2:

TheAuthenticBase

Assalaamu 'alaykum!
Asalaamu alaikum -

I notice that just about every halal market in my area carries hookahs and hookah tobacco. Its my understanding that smoking of any kind is haram. If this is the case why are hookahs so easily obtained? Why don't they sell cigarettes and beer while they're at it?

Or is smoking a hookah for whatever reason not considered haram?

hookahs (AKA; sheesha) is MORE HARMFUL than cigarettes, says the NHS

So its haraam