Hope not to offend

realtruth

I'm sure that you have been asked this a million times, but why do muslim women hide their face/hair. You have been given this by Allah. women are very beautiful and it is sad to me that you hide yourself.

D.Ahmed

Believer
Greetings.
I hope this helps...

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks."

A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

cmelbouzaidi

Greetings.
I hope this helps...

"Why do Muslim women have to cover their heads?" This question is one which is asked by Muslim and non-Muslim alike. For many women it is the truest test of being a Muslim.

The answer to the question is very simple - Muslim women observe HIJAB (covering the head and the body) because Allah has told them to do so.

"O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women to draw their outer garments around them (when they go out or are among men). That is better in order that they may be known (to be Muslims) and not annoyed..." (Qur'an 33:59)

Other secondary reasons include the requirement for modesty in both men and women. Both will then be evaluated for intelligence and skills instead of looks and sexuality. An Iranian school girl is quoted as saying, "We want to stop men from treating us like sex objects, as they have always done. We want them to ignore our appearance and to be attentive to our personalities and mind. We want them to take us seriously and treat us as equals and not just chase us around for our bodies and physical looks."

A Muslim woman who covers her head is making a statement about her identity. Anyone who sees her will know that she is a Muslim and has a good moral character. Many Muslim women who cover are filled with dignity and self esteem; they are pleased to be identified as a Muslim woman. As a chaste, modest, pure woman, she does not want her sexuality to enter into interactions with men in the smallest degree. A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out.

:salam2: Jazak Allahu Khair, this is a beautiful response :) For someone who was Muslim for many years before wearing hijab, I can say that now that I do wear it, I feel completely liberated. Would one prefer to be appreciated as eye candy or to be appreciated for their character and intellect? I would rather the latter any time. It sets the tone and forces the opposite sex to treat you with more respect and avoid any leering or inappropriate conversation. We, women, are not objects for men's amusement!! Don't feel sad for us, I feel much sadder for women who fall into the trap of feeling compelled to tailor themselves to be objects of amusement for men and undergo plastic surgery, non stop diets and end up as mutton dressed as lamb at 40, when they are traded in for a younger model.... :astag:

:wasalam:

shichemlydia

answer

salam alikoum,
muslims do what allah swt wants them to do,
hijab keeps the muslima higher, and protect her from being seen like a body for leisure.
wa salam alikoum

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
What more needs to be said?

One major point: women decide/choose by their own accord and will to cover themselves..the media always tries to put a man behind a lady's decision. It is rarely the case, the majority of us are happy with being covered and dignified. It is our perception of liberation and 'freedom'. We chose to obey Our Creator. :)

butterflymuslima

You know this is so true. I wear hijab because of Allah and no one else. I have no man in my life, so no one is telling me "you must dress this way" I did not always wear hijab and I also thought at one time " I am a pretty woman, why must I cover myself up", but you know I cover up now and I am STILL a pretty woman. I am just a woman now with hope of paradise for doing the will of Allah.

abu turaab

Greetings.
I hope this helps...

:salam2: A woman who covers herself is concealing her sexuality but allowing her femininity to be brought out...this indeed is the bottom line

muslimah-2k8

WHY HIJAB?

QUR'AN 33:59
O prophet! tell thy wives and daughters and the believing women that they
should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is
most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and
Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.

What is Hijab?

There are many sisters who have failed to understand the actual meaning of Hijab. Hijab technically means covering. Islam desires the preservation of social tranquility and familial peace. Hence, it asks women to cover themselves in their inter-actions with men, whom they are not related to.

Why is Hijab necessary?

The dangerous consequences of the Western culture of nakedness and permissiveness are before us. We should think twice before blindly trying to imitate Western life-styles.

How should women observe Hijab correctly?

Basically, the dress of ladies should cover the whole body except the face and hands (i.e. palms and fingers). Hair should not be exposed because Islam considers it as half of the total beauty of women. The Hijab could be of any form and color, a one-piece chader or a three-piece ensemble, as long as it is not tight fitting and does not attract people's attention.

Baseless objections against Hijab

Hijab seeks to imprison women: Those who feel that Hijab imprisons women should refrain from living in houses because it is nearer to a prison than Hijab.

Hijab subordinates women: In fact, culture, which promotes nakedness, takes people nearer to the culture of animals. Wearing the Hijab, on the contrary, liberates women from the trap of Western fashion and maladies. It gives them greater, rather than less freedom and mobility.

Why only women? Science has confirmed that visual stimulation plays a predominant role in the physiology of men compared to women. The fact that the sex-industry in the West is targeted towards the male-market confirms it.

Victims of Ridicule: Some of our sisters come up with the excuse that the non-believers laugh at them if they observe Hijab and they feel degraded. They may laugh for a little while but after some time they will have no choice but to respect the Muslim women observing Hijab for their discipline, which could not be shaken, by their little laughs.

Let us not forget the famous phrase: The one who laughs last laughs the longest.

Beauty is meant to be appreciated: True! But only by the husband. Hence women who truly love their husbands would never wish to be seen in public without Hijab.

What are the disadvantages of discarding Hijab?

Becoming an easy target of anti-social elements.

Causing great stresses, insecurity and suspicion in the minds of husbands, ultimately disturbing the familial harmony.

Instigating young people to deviate towards the path of lust and immorality.

Giving rise to cases of divorce, adultery, rape and illegitimate children.

What are the advantages of observing Hijab?

Confidence in social participation as human being and not as sexual commodity.

Guarding one self from the lustful looks of men.

Not diverting people's attention from constructive social work.

Improving the moral character of the society.

In conclusion, women can achieve true dignity and experience true emancipation by observing Hijab and not by discarding it.

Hijab (Modesty) is also for Muslim Men

"Say to the believing men that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts; that is purer for them; surely Allah is Aware of what they do." Holy Qur'an (24:30)

To cast down one's glance, means not to look in a fixed way, not to stare. The sentence means, "Tell the believers not to stare at or flirt with women."

Allah (SWT) has given equal rights to both men and women; He forbids either sex claiming supremacy over the other. Allah (SWT) states in the Holy Qur'an: "The most honored of you in the sight of Allah is (he who is) the most righteous of you." Holy Qur'an (49:13)

It is pertinent to relate one of the several heart-breaking stories caused by discarding Hijab: A young innocent man, who saw the photograph of an attractive woman, was immediately infatuated by her physical charm. Unfortunately, he had neither wealth nor position to get closer to her. To fulfill his desire, he though of getting money quickly by any means and resorted to stealing.

Finally, he ended up in prison for robbing a few people and killing one.

Who is to be blamed for all the consequences but the person who caused them? Had that woman observed Hijab and refrained from displaying her attractions, these crimes would not have taken place.

Our Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) has said that on the Day of Judgment, such people would be brought forward for trail on charges of quasi-crimes in which they had a share of responsibility. They would plead that they did not commit those crimes, but then they would be told that they removed their Hijab and attracted this person, which made him indulge in those crimes.