How did the Arab-Israel 1967 war begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proud2BeHumble

Seek Truth, Be Happy
The war began on the morning of June 5 with devastating Israeli air strikes on the Egyptian airforce, most of which was destroyed on the ground. Arab nations then came to Egypt's defence. Israel's first-day success brought air superiority which enabled it to decimate numerically superior ground forces.

Which countries were involved in the fighting?
Israel, Egypt, Syria, and Jordan. Other Arab countries, including Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Algeria, contributed arms and small contingents of troops.

What was the outcome?
Israel quickly defeated the Arab armies, and seized the Syrian Golan Heights, the West Bank (including East Jerusalem), the Gaza Strip, and the Sinai Peninsula.

How did Israel justify its attack?
Israeli UN envoy Abba Eban initially claimed to the United Nations Security Council that Egyptian troops had attacked first and that Israel's air strikes were retaliatory. Within a month, however, Israel admitted that it had launched the first strike. It asserted that it had faced an impending attack by Egypt, evidenced by Egypt's bellicose rhetoric, removal of UN peacekeeping troops from the Sinai Peninsula, closure of the Straits of Tiran to Israeli shipping, and concentration of troops along Israel's borders. The Soviet Union introduced a resolution to the UN Security Council naming Israel the aggressor in the war. This resolution was blocked by the US and Great Britain. Thereafter, the UN failed to rule definitively on the legality of Israel's actions, although it called for Israel's withdrawal from territories it seized.

Is Israel's version of the facts universally accepted?
Israel's claim of an impending Egyptian attack has been widely accepted in the West. The Israeli public had been led to believe that it faced a threat of imminent attack, and perhaps even annihilation. However, the veracity of Israel's claim is increasingly questioned. A number of senior Israeli military and political figures have subsequently admitted that Israel was not faced with a genuine threat of attack, and instead, deliberately chose war. Yitzhak Rabin, the Israeli army chief of staff during the war, later stated: "I do not believe that Nasser wanted war. The two divisions he sent into Sinai on May 14 would not have been enough to unleash an offensive against Israel. He knew it and we knew it."

If Israel's claimed reasons for the attack were false, what were its true objectives?
One objective may have been territorial expansion. Some Israeli politicians and military leaders, such as former Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion and Minister of Defence Moshe Dayan lamented the failure to seize East Jerusalem and the West Bank in the 1948 war. Before the war, Jordan's King Hussain told the American ambassador: "They want the West Bank. They've been waiting for a chance to get it, and they're going to take advantage of us and they're going to attack."

Second, Israeli politicians were genuinely fearful of Jamal Abdul Nasser, the charismatic leader of Arab nationalism. They may have seen the war as an opportunity to embarrass him and deflate the movement he embodied.

Third, Israeli leaders may have seen military confrontation with the Arab states as inevitable, and chose to engage in battle at a time and under terms of their choosing. Menachem Begin, for example, characterised Israel's war aim as to "take the initiative and attack the enemy, drive him back, and thus assure the security of Israel and the future of the nation."

What was the chain of events leading up to the war?
The progression toward war was sparked by Israel's attack on the West Bank village of Samu' in November 1966. Israeli forces killed 18 civilians and Jordanian soldiers, and razed nearly the entire village. After the attack, King Hussain bitterly criticised Nasser for "hiding behind" the UN Emergency Force, stationed in the Sinai Peninsula after Israel's 1956 attack on Egypt, and failing to act in line with his Arab nationalist rhetoric. The criticism, echoed by the Arab press, drove Nasser into a more militant posture toward Israel. Tensions were also building between Israel and Syria, largely due to Israel's repeated attempts to farm in the Demilitarised Zone that had separated Israeli and Syrian troops since the first Arab-Israeli war in 1948-49. In April 1967, one such incident escalated into an aerial battle during which Israel shot down six Syrian fighter jets, including two over Damascus.

The Soviet Union, at the time closely allied with Syria, then shared intelligence reports with Nasser that suggested an impending Israeli attack on Syria. In early May the Israeli Cabinet had authorised an attack on Syria. Soviet exaggerations may have been designed to stir Egypt into a more aggressive stance in support of Syria, thereby deterring the feared Israeli strike.

Nasser responded by requesting the removal of the UN Emergency Forces from the Sinai Peninsula, replacing them with Egyptian troops, and declaring the Straits of Tiran (leading from the Gulf of Aqaba into the Red Sea) closed to Israeli shipping.

http://www.gulfnews.com/region/Middle_East/10130302.html

Waterdrop

Banned
Eqypt had every intention on attacking Isreal and built up substantial trrops at the border. Eqypt was supplied arms from the Soviet Union (tank killing weapons (the name of the weapon escapes me)) The Isreali air force was not the firsat to strike since Egypt had a very impressive ground to air missle batallions. Isreal tried at first to attack by air but was thwarted byt these missles. The first push into egypt was a failure and Isreal lost a lot of tanks and some jets. When Isreal did finally push through it was only because egypt had turn off this defense and Isreal commenced to destroying their military. Isreal had to defend against this agression.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Waterdrop, I believe I misread your post. You wrote something about Isreal defending aggression? Are we on the same planet?
I honestly thought Isreal is the synonym for aggression. Have you read your history?
Please be so kind as to state your case? Please make sure your sources are not think tanks based in Washington. Please explain what the consenus of the world was. Please explain how the Isreal as usual ignored the pleas of the world.
Justify why Isreal exists. Justify and give specifics on how Isreal was founded. Explain the role of the American Army. Please expalin how APIC is involved.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Salaam,

Waterdrop, I believe I misread your post. You wrote something about Isreal defending aggression? Are we on the same planet?
I honestly thought Isreal is the synonym for aggression. Have you read your history?
Please be so kind as to state your case? Please make sure your sources are not think tanks based in Washington. Please explain what the consenus of the world was. Please explain how the Isreal as usual ignored the pleas of the world.
Justify why Isreal exists. Justify and give specifics on how Isreal was founded. Explain the role of the American Army. Please expalin how APIC is involved.
:salam2:
Well said ;) And even if Arabs started the offensive out of the blue, it's still their right and duty to remove the immoral occupation from ALL of the Palestenian land; land pre and post 48 and 67, the whole ancient Palestine if you know what I mean.

And dear Waterdrop, if you believe I'm biased don't take my word for it, but for neutral un-politicized and unsold information on the Israeli-Palestenian conflict, read honest voices like Norman Finkelstein and read Naom Chomsky (both respectable Jews in lineage). Read also Edward Said (don't worry for dogmatic partiality, he is a Palestenian anti-cleric aethiest). Listen to George Gallawy's debates, he always courageously defends the sad memory of the Holocaust against new-Nazis, and also defends the Palestenian question against Israeli arrogance and terrorism. His views are balanced.

You know how I knew such writers are not sold, because they often had troubles because of their courageous views: they could not accuse Finkelstein of antisemitism because he is a Jew, so they accused him of being a self-hating Jew. They also accused Galloway of corruption. Edward Said often received threats of murder over the phone.

Thank you...

rony

Salaam,

As-Salam, brother. Well said. I think some of our brothers gets their knowledge from so called Washington thinktank or other western sources. They should read history, then they can get true knowledge. Thank you very much for your post.

Waterdrop

Banned
Salaam,

Isreal was defending aggression, what I wrote is accurate. If you think Isreal is synonymous with aggression then it doesn't mtter what I write since you are quite bias. I know my history and it's not clouded with bias. What case am I supposed state? I thought I was quite clear. Should my sources be what is explained to you from Al-Jeezera? Isreal exists because they have a right to, it's really quite simple. What does the American Army have to do with this when you can't even explain, or just deny, that the Soviets supported and supplied Egypt before the attack. You should answer things before asking others to do the same.

Waterdrop

Banned
As-Salam, brother. Well said. I think some of our brothers gets their knowledge from so called Washington thinktank or other western sources. They should read history, then they can get true knowledge. Thank you very much for your post.

whose hiastory should I read from? The palastinians, Isreali, Middle East or the West. If you believe the news comming from the East is gospel then you should reexamine your beliefs.

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
Isreal was defending aggression, what I wrote is accurate. If you think Isreal is synonymous with aggression then it doesn't mtter what I write since you are quite bias. I know my history and it's not clouded with bias. What case am I supposed state? I thought I was quite clear. Should my sources be what is explained to you from Al-Jeezera? Isreal exists because they have a right to, it's really quite simple. What does the American Army have to do with this when you can't even explain, or just deny, that the Soviets supported and supplied Egypt before the attack. You should answer things before asking others to do the same.

Looks like u r not willing to educate youself from unbiased resources, I already told u to read Finkelstein and Chomesky (both Jews). They will astonish you and remove the blindfold on your eyes. Nobody told you to take al-Jazeera's word for it. And Since you know Arab channels, watch Al-Hurra (Arab speaking channel advocating an American agenda) I was just watching a program that states it was Israel which started the offensive as a "precautionary" attack after taking the American approval.

Not Egypt but my 90 yr old grandmother attacked Israel! So what. X or Y or Z attacked Israel to liberate Palestine. What's wrong in that. Israel does not have to be in the Middle East in the first place. Only respectable authentic Jews, Christians and Muslims are supposed to be there. U need to understand that the issue is Much older than 67 and 48. The problem is with Israel being an illegal state that was established on the bones of peoples it displaced.

Plus, I'm not willing to bother myself to attach some pages of books written by Jews that show Israel started the offensive. Go read The Holocaust Industry by yourself.

If I were you, I wouldn't show up until after I get some education, so as to avoid embaressment. I hope you would give up twisting the arguments and escaping them so unscientifically.

Salam

nazir

The truth is on the side of the oppressed (malcolm X). It is something to reflect on......
Doe we believe the narrative of the thinktanks which are funded by the same nations that helped impose oppression and therefore are partners in crime, or shall we believe the often stifled voices of the oppressed, who are facing the conseqences of their ongoing genocide? Can the cry of the mother who has lost her innocent child be 'biased' and can the fact that Israel, the illegitimate child of the west, is and has been against so many UN Resolutions be 'biased', can the emptying of the cartridge of bullets supplied by the 'enlightend democracies', killing and maiming indiscriminatley, shattering the bodies of innocents, living in their own lands as refugees, and at the mercy of their occupiers be 'biased'. "To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it, requires brains." If you repeat something long enough, you begin to believe in it. We do not believe that news coming from the 'east' is gospel, but it is far closer to the truth, because when have the invaders rebuked their invasion? And to add to this, it surely cannot be 'gospel' as this means 'glad tidings'. Rather this is what the west preaches, as they spin their acts of unholy sacrilege and carnage as a glad tiding for those people who love 'freedom'.
'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.'
Unfortunately, the biggest casualty of of the ongoing conflict between the apartheid state of Israel and the dispossessed indigenous people of that area, is truth, for today lies run like a stream due to their being so many, and the truth is like a stone blocking the stream, yet the stream continues, as it is easier to lie in this age than to speak the truth and be branded a 'liar'...
May Allah forgive me for anything wrong i have said.
Wassalaam

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine
The truth is on the side of the oppressed (malcolm X). It is something to reflect on......
Doe we believe the narrative of the thinktanks which are funded by the same nations that helped impose oppression and therefore are partners in crime, or shall we believe the often stifled voices of the oppressed, who are facing the conseqences of their ongoing genocide? Can the cry of the mother who has lost her innocent child be 'biased' and can the fact that Israel, the illegitimate child of the west, is and has been against so many UN Resolutions be 'biased', can the emptying of the cartridge of bullets supplied by the 'enlightend democracies', killing and maiming indiscriminatley, shattering the bodies of innocents, living in their own lands as refugees, and at the mercy of their occupiers be 'biased'. "To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it, requires brains." If you repeat something long enough, you begin to believe in it. We do not believe that news coming from the 'east' is gospel, but it is far closer to the truth, because when have the invaders rebuked their invasion? And to add to this, it surely cannot be 'gospel' as this means 'glad tidings'. Rather this is what the west preaches, as they spin their acts of unholy sacrilege and carnage as a glad tiding for those people who love 'freedom'.
'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.'
Unfortunately, the biggest casualty of of the ongoing conflict between the apartheid state of Israel and the dispossessed indigenous people of that area, is truth, for today lies run like a stream due to their being so many, and the truth is like a stone blocking the stream, yet the stream continues, as it is easier to lie in this age than to speak the truth and be branded a 'liar'...
May Allah forgive me for anything wrong i have said.
Wassalaam
Yes brother, some in the west have double standards in dealing with two groups of oppressed people:

Finkelstein, his parents being Holocaust survivors , speaks of the compensation paid to Holocaust survivors:

The only means to atone for past sins, American politicians lectured Switzerland, was providing
material compensation. Stuart Eizenstat, Undersecretary for Commerce and Clinton's Special Envoy
for Property Restitution, deemed Swiss compensation to Jewry "an important litmus test of this
generation's willingness to face the past and to rectify the wrongs of the past." Although they couldn't
be "held responsible for what took place years ago," D'Amato acknowledged during the same Senate
hearing, the Swiss still had "a duty of accountability and of attempting to do what is right at this point
in time." Publicly endorsing the WJC's compensation demands, President Clinton likewise reflected
that "we must confront and, as best we can, right the terrible injustice of the past." "History does not
have a statute of limitations," chairman James Leach said during the House Banking Committee
hearings, and "the past must never be forgotten." "It should be made clear," bipartisan Congressional
leaders wrote in a letter to the Secretary of State, that the "response on this restitution matter will be
seen as a test of respect for basic human rights and the rule of law." And in an address to the Swiss
Parliament, Secretary of State Madeleine Albright explained that the economic benefits accruing to
the Swiss from withheld Jewish accounts "were passed along to subsequent generations and that is
why the world now looks to the people of Switzerland, not to assume responsibility for actions taken
by their forebears, but to be generous in doing what can be done at this point to right past wrongs."36
Noble sentiments all, but nowhere to be heard — unless they are being actively ridiculed — when it
comes to African-American compensation for slavery

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dear Waterdrop...here is a quote that will get you started.

"The United States played a key role in the creation of Israel in 1947-48, and since the 1960s has supplied that country with military and economic aid. To the Israel Firsters out there, I ask: is this how the creation of Israel was supposed to work? Jews would create a state through intimidation and force at the expense of the original inhabitants, who were never allowed to return. Then the United States would be expected to aid Israel against the inevitable blowback from such aggression, inevitably acquiring all of Israel's enemies in the process. Is this supposed to go on forever? When did we agree to this? Israel possesses overwhelming military capability as well as a nuclear arsenal. What on earth else does she still need, 55 years after her creation? Shouldn't someone have thought of this problem 55 years ago?

http://www.seattlecatholic.com/article_20030425.html

Once again I state read your history. I do have a bias. It is called the Truth. You need to go back to 1911 and read forwards. Please!!

Waterdrop

Banned

Looks like u r not willing to educate youself from unbiased resources, I already told u to read Finkelstein and Chomesky (both Jews). They will astonish you and remove the blindfold on your eyes. Nobody told you to take al-Jazeera's word for it.

you're missing my point, both of those guys are nut cases. I'm so used to being told to educate myself when in fact I have, I choose to follow those that aren't out of their mind. Every other person on here believes only what's coming out of the east and discount everything coming out of the west. We call that putting your head in the sand.

you're missing my point, both of those guys are nut cases. I'm so used to being told to educate myself when in fact I have, I choose to follow those that aren't out of their mind. Every other person on here believes only what's coming out of the east and discount everything coming out of the west. We call that putting your head in the sand.

Hi waterdrop,

There is a thin line between a nut and a genius. Einstein for example, was a stereotypical "absent-minded professor"; he was often forgetful of everyday items, such as keys, and would focus so intently on solving physics problems that he would often become oblivious to his surroundings.

Another example is Amadeus Mozart, who was extremely childlike, almost never able sit still, even during others' performances. He was self-confident to the point of arrogance and his stubbornness, and penchant for juvenile indulgences often annoyed his more staid peers.

This is just a few example. Are these people nuts? Then why are they so well known and we acknowledge them and their contributions?

Not acknowledging the truth....we call those dumb, deaf and blind.

Take care

Waterdrop

Banned
Please don't insult those great and intelligent people by using those two nutbags in the same sentence. Even comparing them is insulting to the average person's intelligence. I won't deny that I have a different opinions and want different results for the conflict with Isreal but using those two nutbags as examples of truth and understanding definitaly puts a light on why I disagree with you people so much.

Please don't insult those great and intelligent people by using those two nutbags in the same sentence. Even comparing them is insulting to the average person's intelligence. I won't deny that I have a different opinions and want different results for the conflict with Isreal but using those two nutbags as examples of truth and understanding definitaly puts a light on why I disagree with you people so much.

You missed the "point" like a broken pencil. Not insulting any of them. If I logically follow your premise, I guess all TTI members are nutbags then huh lol

abdallahbilal

Long Live Palestine

Salam
I guess u also need to learn some geography as well, because all the writers I told u to read for are westerners in breading, education, and residence. At least Chomsky, whom u call nuts, can distinguish between the east and the west and is a widly read professor of linguistics.

It takes a little humbleness to admit the truth...

If you lived during the times of Einstein or Mozart you would of called them a nutbag just like their peers/community did, based on what they said, their personalities behaviors, but after hundreds of years now you realize they were a genius and knew what they were talking about. Apply this same concept to what sister is telling you. Maybe you won't realize it now, maybe you will 10-20 years from now, inshallah (God willing).

May you find peace and truth to your life-inshallah.

Status
Not open for further replies.