How do I pray - a beginners guide to Islamic prayer.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam sister,

I checked the link and the method described for prayer. It does omit some of the steps in prayer, so I decided to remove the link as others may stumble on it as well.

We do have good instructional prayer guides for beginners on this webforum in 'Learn How To do Prayer and Ablution' subforum.

Some good guides include :

Learn to Pray as the Prophet Prayed (English) Video

The right way to perform prayer

Please feel free to post any questions regarding method described in either of those tutorials.

Wasalaamalaykum

katieanneb

Salem,

OK, no problem. I don't wish to mislead anyone. I just thought it was a nice idea to show the prayer in an animated form. Jezek Allah khayr and alhamdoulillah.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Walaykumsalaam sister,

I checked the link and the method described for prayer. It does omit some of the steps in prayer, so I decided to remove the link as others may stumble on it as well.

We do have good instructional prayer guides for beginners on this webforum in 'Learn How To do Prayer and Ablution' subforum.

Some good guides include :

Learn to Pray as the Prophet Prayed (English) Video

The right way to perform prayer

Please feel free to post any questions regarding method described in either of those tutorials.

Wasalaamalaykum

Assalaamu `alaykum

Perhaps it will be a good idea if you tell the sister what has been omitted- so the sister knows.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Assalaamu `alaykum

Perhaps it will be a good idea if you tell the sister what has been omitted- so the sister knows.

:wasalam:

Right. The few that I noticed were :-

1) It is not clear where the hands are to be placed after the initial takbeer.
The authentic opinion is that the hands should be placed on the chest for both men and women.

2) The performance of Rafa ul dein ie raising the hands to the level of shoulder or ears before going to Ruku and raising up after Ruku is omitted. Also, this should be performed when getting up from Tashahudd at the beginning of the 3rd rakah.

And there might be other matters not effectively described for beginners, so I would advice fellow members to refer to the links that I have pasted above.

Also a very handy and beneficial prayer guide that explains the various actions during prayer is available on TTI : The prophet's prayer described

Wasalaamalaykum

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
:wasalam:

Right. The few that I noticed were :-

1) It is not clear where the hands are to be placed after the initial takbeer.
The authentic opinion is that the hands should be placed on the chest for both men and women.

2) The performance of Rafa ul dein ie raising the hands to the level of shoulder or ears before going to Ruku and raising up after Ruku is omitted. Also, this should be performed when getting up from Tashahudd at the beginning of the 3rd rakah.

And there might be other matters not effectively described for beginners, so I would advice fellow members to refer to the links that I have pasted above.

Also a very handy and beneficial prayer guide that explains the various actions during prayer is available on TTI : The prophet's prayer described

Wasalaamalaykum

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

BaarakAllaahu feek : -)

Firstly, the website clarifies two important issue:

a) It is a beginners guide to praying Salaah- which I believe is pretty basic and good enough for a convert or someone who does not know how to pray Salaah (I have only seen Fajar). Often, it is not advised to go into issues of differences of opinion and "the most correct opinion" with matters that are very basic. In fact, I found this guide to be better than the basic guide (animation) that was in your thread- since the one you posted had more details which can be learnt by a convert at a later stage and thus is not as "BASIC" as this one.

b) The website mentions this point: "This web site is dedicated to beginners. It’s the basic praying method, valid for both genders accepted by all the Islamic scholars throughout the world"- and the prayer of a person who does not do Raf` al-Yadayn is still valid according to all four schools of thought.

With regards to the issue of placing hands on the chest- then there is major khilaaf (difference of opinion) amongst the scholars from the Salaf and the classical scholars on this issue. In fact, the majority did not even hold that opinion and seems to be the least established from the salaf and the classical scholars- wAllaahu a`lam. But, obviously this is a issue that can be discussed if anyone wants- but the main point is that this whole issue of "where to place the hands" is a very flexible one and is not really as 'clear cut' as we think it to be.

I personally, do not see that animation as a problem and thus can be used for converts etc to learn how to pray : -)

Wassalaamu `alaykum

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
As Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi akhi Thariq,

Thanks for taking the time to look at both of the prayer guides and informing me about your valuable input here. JazakAllahu Khayran.

I have reinstated the original thread starter's link in the opening post.

Wasalaamalaykum

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
As Salaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi akhi Thariq,

Thanks for taking the time to look at both of the prayer guides and informing me about your valuable input here. JazakAllahu Khayran.

I have reinstated the original thread starter's link in the opening post.

Wasalaamalaykum

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

BaarakAllaahu feek. Very nice of you : -)

Seeking Allah's Mercy

Qul HuwaAllahu Ahud!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

With regards to the issue of placing hands on the chest- then there is major khilaaf (difference of opinion) amongst the scholars from the Salaf and the classical scholars on this issue. In fact, the majority did not even hold that opinion and seems to be the least established from the salaf and the classical scholars- wAllaahu a`lam. But, obviously this is a issue that can be discussed if anyone wants- but the main point is that this whole issue of "where to place the hands" is a very flexible one and is not really as 'clear cut' as we think it to be.

I'm a bit confused here, I read in sheikh Albani's book of prayers that the prophet used to forbid placing of hands on the waist. He would forbid it by demonstrating it (by placing his hands on his waist) during the prayers (referance to hadith in bukhari and muslim as the footnotes say). So if he used to forbid it, wasn't BII right in removing the link?

It says the waist thing is da'eef or totally baseless.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
I'm a bit confused here, I read in sheikh Albani's book of prayers that the prophet used to forbid placing of hands on the waist. He would forbid it by demonstrating it (by placing his hands on his waist) during the prayers (referance to hadith in bukhari and muslim as the footnotes say). So if he used to forbid it, wasn't BII right in removing the link?

It says the waist thing is da'eef or totally baseless.

The hadeeth on the forbiddance of placing the hands on the waist is referring to this:

41da469c-cc7e-4248-8724-080d161b4902.jpg

[But obviously referring to both the hands]

I was talking about placing the right hand over the left hand- on the chest, or above the navel or below the navel.

I know shaykh al-Albaanee rahimahullaah says the sunnah is to place them on the chest and he weakened the other positions- but there is major differences of opinion on this matter. Let me know if you want me to go into detail about it.