How does the Council of Nicea fit into Islam?

kayleigh

I was discussing the Council of Nicea today with some friends, and a question occurred to me.

I know that in Islam, the Bible is accepted as being correct, once upon a time, but that over time it was corrupted, which is why it is no longer followed. But are the gospels that were rejected by the Council of Nicea considered to be a part of the Bible that we would have once followed and is now corrupted, or not?

visionusman

being content
The bible is a product of the church. Islam does not accept it to be correct. Never did. We believe that the original gospel given to Jesus AS (PBUH) was the word of God, however that was not preserved. The bible used three documents known as the gospels as it's sources (different bibles used different scriptures but there were 3 scriptures which denoted what they call the gsopels). None of these were the true gospel.

kayleigh

Thanks for the info. Most of the books I have and the people I've talked to make it seem completely different.

visionusman

being content
Thanks for the info. Most of the books I have and the people I've talked to make it seem completely different.
Allow me to recommend a book:

What Every Christian Should Know About Islam by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood

This book explains in detail the orgin of the bible and it's auntheticity (among other important topics).

danial

the council of nicea doesnt fit islam at all. how could it?

it wasnt even like a collective decision making.

in a jury, EVERY SINGLE member of the jury has to agree with the decision before a verdict can be made. if even ONE person disagrees, they have to go back to the drawing board and ponder of the verdict all over again.

but in the council of nicea, this wasnt the case. many priests and ppl believed that jesus was a prophet but majority won? right?

this would mean a JURY in a court of law would be more accurate than the council of nicea itself. PLUS, the case of human error is still there.

how can islam ever associate itself with such potential human error in deciding the true religion?

my take is that islam has no affiliations to the council because islam is perfect, but the members of the council wasnt.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Both councils of Nicea were important to the growth of Christanity. The details of bishophood were outlined.
In both meetings 325 AD and 381 Ad..the Nicean Creed was debated.
How could that fit in with Islam?
The words of the creed were debated. The concept of the trinity was placed in the world of dogma. To be a christian you had to accept the words of the creed. The debates were about the father, son , and holy ghost. They debated in essence who was the one with the most authority. They decided it was equal...they came up with several words..cosubstantial...

This is anathema to Islam.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The council may have debated on some of the books to be kept in the bible. There is a story that Constantitine threw the books on a table and the ones that remained on the table became part of the bible and the ones that fell on the floor were not included.

There is little scholary research that suggessts any book except the book of Jerome were debated. There was debate about Easter.

The Bible is a historical document. The Bible is a collection of works complied and bound.

As Muslims we can only hold one book in our hands. The book of the Truth.

apocalypse77

[yt]KKrr_VqqEL0[/yt]

THIS IS A GOOD DOCUMENT!! ESP THIS PART ABT THE COUNCILOF NICEA!! WATCH HOW THE COUNCIL ACTUALLY VOTE TO DETERMINE THE NATURE OF JESUS

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
We should not worry about these Christian matters. Before I became Muslim, I read many of these apocraphal, or hidden, books that were discluded from the canon. Many of them seemed genuine. However, some of the books were so blatantly blasphemous, they were right to be disallowed. I am specifically referring to the beliefs of the Cathars.

These christian heretics are portrayed in the modern world as "free thinking, hippy-like christians". Once you are acquainted with what they actually believed, you understand how these "hippies" kicked off the Inquisition.

Don't worry about the christian (catholic) councils. They are all decisions made by men.

dianne

I was discussing the Council of Nicea today with some friends, and a question occurred to me.

I know that in Islam, the Bible is accepted as being correct, once upon a time, but that over time it was corrupted, which is why it is no longer followed. But are the gospels that were rejected by the Council of Nicea considered to be a part of the Bible that we would have once followed and is now corrupted, or not?

Islam already born before the Kitab been build - Taurat,Zabur,Injil & Quran

Taurat,Zabur,Injil was corrupted over the time,the last kitab is Quran.which is from our prophet Muhammad Alaihi Salam.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

Although the video embedded in post #9 by brother apocalypse77 is very informative and drives home the point in a very effective way, I believe it's a very big sin the way Jesus [peace be upon him] was portrayed in the "Vote for Jesus" segment. He's a Prophet and Messenger of God [peace be upon him] and as such should be accorded respect and honour from all Muslims. And making a very good point [as this video truly does] does not excuse this portrayal.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The diptiction of Jesus was wrong. However, the directors and editors of the video were not Muslims. I have been around good Catholics who used to sing songs about plastic jesuses on the dashboards of cars...I agree if a Muslim made the video it is very wrong...I will admit that I laughed and I was wrong.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

Actually, this video was directed and presented by 3 young Muslim men. The clip shown on post #9 is just part 4. There are 10 parts to the whole film.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Now I am corrected. No, we as Muslims can not do this. It is important that you point this out. We have to respect the prophethood of Isa. I am truly ashamed. And I thank you for reminding me for my behavior. This is the Islamic way.

kayleigh

We should not worry about these Christian matters. Before I became Muslim, I read many of these apocraphal, or hidden, books that were discluded from the canon. Many of them seemed genuine. However, some of the books were so blatantly blasphemous, they were right to be disallowed. I am specifically referring to the beliefs of the Cathars.

These christian heretics are portrayed in the modern world as "free thinking, hippy-like christians". Once you are acquainted with what they actually believed, you understand how these "hippies" kicked off the Inquisition.

Don't worry about the christian (catholic) councils. They are all decisions made by men.

I don't worry about it at all, but I was curious and religious history/Church history is an interest of mine.

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister mirajmom,

Thank you for your very kind words. I must admit that I did not write my comment about Jesus' [peace be upon him] portrayal as a response to your words, but rather to remind all Muslims [including myself] about the way all Prophets and Messengers of God [peace be upon them all] should be respected by us.

And I just like to add that it takes courage to admit one's mistake. May Allah forgive us all our sins and admit us to Paradise. Aameen.

There were many times when I had a wrong opinion, and if it weren't for -first and foremost- the grace and guidance of Allah the Almighty and then -to a lesser degree- the advice I received from other Muslims, I would have continued in my wrong ideas.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

apocalypse77

Assalamu Alaikum,

Although the video embedded in post #9 by brother apocalypse77 is very informative and drives home the point in a very effective way, I believe it's a very big sin the way Jesus [peace be upon him] was portrayed in the "Vote for Jesus" segment. He's a Prophet and Messenger of God [peace be upon him] and as such should be accorded respect and honour from all Muslims. And making a very good point [as this video truly does] does not excuse this portrayal.

actually the photo of that smiling jesus was actually well known in western media..U can type "jesus approved" for those images..i knew abt it when i was browsing for toys in toys r us and they have that similar picture in sm of their toy products..the most disgusting thing is theyre using the phrase "Jesus Approved" for *!*!*!*!ography purposes too