how MYSPACE upset me today

Moataz G

Al salamo 3alikum brother,

ma sha allah brother you can not imagine how did your words touch my heart, you have thr ight in every word you said, i read your thread really very carefully indeed.

to me to be honest i don't use any of these sites unless the facebook ...i can say that i found a real brotherhood wallahi and made a friendship which are very rare and real in the same time..n my last days at the facebook i wasn't totally convencied about it but subhana allah brother when i start searching in 'Groups' writing words like islam..prophet..(to be honest with you the arabic result is much more than english result in groups) i found a group about a kind of charity cooperative called Resalah 'the message' it's verrrrrrrry known here in Egypt but i knew about it more from the facebook i joined to the group..and i started to contact people on this group..brothers like me i was very astonished about those new people indeed my brother they encouraged me to do charity to do some activities in the sake of allah even if you choose to do so by yourself..and from this moment i knew a verrry kind guy he was in responsible of helping 'blind' people he talked to me about that and i decided that i want to help blind people.. you can not imagine my brother how did this turned my life upside down!!!

i joined to groups like 'my life without songs has the most beautiful meaning" (it's well written in arabic as a group subject) although sincerely i don't fully give up listen to music ( i reduced listen to songs and struggling to do so with the music)..another group may 'let's memorize the quran'..another one called 'let's all help each others waking up al fajr'..indeed my brother i felt a real and rare brotherhood among these people even if some of them were not as we hope to see but at least we gathered to do something..and i can guarantee for you that you will find such groups in english am sure of that 100%, also there are amazing people indeed on the facebook.. it's good to know that there are many religious speakers have a facebook account.

lastly i am sorry for the mistypying if u found so coz am writing to you now in really misrable circus (the screen is merely blury it's almost dead now lol so i can hardly identify the letters in words lol)

SwordofAllah16

Heros of Islam
Thers a similar saying in Islam but 1,000,000+ tymz betr
Prophet SAW sed
That "a man is upon the religion of his Friends"
(paraphrased) but Sahih

soeurette

I can understand what your intentions are, and I can more then relate to your situation. But the thing is people like me we don't want to be preached to about the rights and wrongs of our behaviours (I'd rather not have comments about that, that is my personal thing so please I would rather not hear it). My point is going around pointing and saying look look, that is in fact what turned me off to having muslim friends for a long time because I felt like everything anyone did was being judged and made me feel if they are judging someone who they don't know, I can only imagine what they must thing about me.
I understand it is tough, it wasn't until I was around 20 that I really found good muslim friends in university. Maybe you should try talking to the imam at your masjid, ask him if he knows of brothers around your own age that he could connect you with, and if he isn't willing then try another masjid, you have to keep trying till you've exhausted all your options

Muslim18

Blessed Muslimah
I can understand what your intentions are, and I can more then relate to your situation. But the thing is people like me we don't want to be preached to about the rights and wrongs of our behaviours (I'd rather not have comments about that, that is my personal thing so please I would rather not hear it). My point is going around pointing and saying look look, that is in fact what turned me off to having muslim friends for a long time because I felt like everything anyone did was being judged and made me feel if they are judging someone who they don't know, I can only imagine what they must thing about me.
I understand it is tough, it wasn't until I was around 20 that I really found good muslim friends in university. Maybe you should try talking to the imam at your masjid, ask him if he knows of brothers around your own age that he could connect you with, and if he isn't willing then try another masjid, you have to keep trying till you've exhausted all your options

:salam2:

Hi sister i can understand what you were saying earlier but i think what the brother as doing was not backbitting because he never defamed anyone infact i think he increased others knowledge about such sites and how much fitnah it contains and this can be a warning to those who may have a account or thinking of getting one because if it causes or poses as a harm to us all we should warn eachother of such places or such people because if we didnt warn eachother many of us would fall into this sin ourselves..

i also know how you feel, we are losing our youth because they are not interested in islam, its our teaching methods which are to blame and the childrens upbringing can play a part if the parent is also not learning their child what interest is it to the child, i disagree about what you said however because the prophet was sent to perfect manners and if someone has more knowledge than you of these matters and is trying to correct your behaviour for the SAKE OF ALLAH and they do it in a nice way i dont think they have the problem yet its the person who cant take advice or correction from their bro or sis and it shouldnt be judging but rather correcting in the best manner when dealing with fellow muslims and if you have been critised instead of corrected i am sorry you feel that way that you didnt want muslim friends because i would not pick out faults of others rather i would treat everyone the way i would like to be treated,,, really i think we should all look back at the words of our prophet because as he says 'a muslim believer is a mirror to another' so we have to correct someone in the best way if they are in wrong.

May ALLAH forgive me if i said anything wrong and may ALLAH guide us all AMEEN

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Whether its confidential or not does not give anyone the right to go around spreading other people's vice around. And I know the saying of the prophet about correcting sins we see, but explain to me how we are correcting anything by coming on TTI and spreading other people wrongdoings online.
Thats like someone coming to me and saying guess what I say, I saw this woman who I know is muslim omg she was drinking and dancing with guys, the person didn't tell me who it was but that doesn't make it correct.
Also despite the best intentions, there are going to be muslims around who do not want you preaching to them about what is halal and haram, and that will infact turn them off even more. Its like when people insisted I wear hijab, I didn't want to be preached to, I made the decision on my own many years later.
I know I'm going to get quotes left right and centre, but honestly if we can't adapt our teaching styles we are going to lose our teens. It may not be right, it may make you upset but instead of concerning yourself with how many sins someone is going to acrew concern yourself with how can we spread the message in a way that they will be attracted and want to learn.

I believe you're misunderstanding brother NyKareem he is simply expressing his dismay at the actions of the Muslims. He is not exposing other people's sin.
You've got the two confused. If he were to expose other people's sin he would have to name them and their actions "such and such did such and such", but he made a general statement about the evil of those sites. Please do provide proof from either Quran or Sunnah if you want to disapprove his comments.

Anyway that being said, it's unfortunate what goes on these 'social sites' and I completely agree that we should at least raise information, by doing that we would in a sense 'enjoin good and forbid evil' like brother Ayman mentioned.

I apologize if I had offended you.

:wasalam:

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
Assalamualaikum wr. wb.

But it is also important for us to remember, unlike Christianity which religious spreading of all possible means is an obligation for them (Thus the missionary are world wide improvement), we are not to tell non muslim about Islam unless we are defending it from their condemnation or responding toward their question.

Saalam, I completely understand what you went through, for so long I was in the same situation. In a sense I felt like I was deprived of knowledge, but Alhamdulilah,Alhamdulilah that Allah the Most Merciful had mercy on me.

Sister, actually as Muslims we are also supposed to spread our religion through Dawah, I believe your understanding is mistaken. Islam is meant for all of mankind, and thus we are obligated to do dawah it just unlike Christianity we do not have organized missionary agencies and such.

nita madjid

Saalam, I completely understand what you went through, for so long I was in the same situation. In a sense I felt like I was deprived of knowledge, but Alhamdulilah,Alhamdulilah that Allah the Most Merciful had mercy on me.

Sister, actually as Muslims we are also supposed to spread our religion through Dawah, I believe your understanding is mistaken. Islam is meant for all of mankind, and thus we are obligated to do dawah it just unlike Christianity we do not have organized missionary agencies and such.

Waalaikum salam wr.wb.

Thanks for the empathy that we share.

I believe that spreading the word of Islam to the non muslim is crucial. After all, wasn't that what made the prophet (PBUH) managed to have a city that welcome him with a warm and open heart (People of madinah, Anshar). It is funny, how I see, that sometimes the words of the revert (i.e their experience, their feeling toward reverted to Islam) move our muslim-born brothers and sisters more than the other muslim born who preaches to them. This is obviously an advantage that we need to take full benefit of, for Da'wah.

Yet... I also believe that we need to perform Da'wah toward our inner muslim-born brother and sister as urgent -if not more- as what we are doing to the non-muslim.

Wallahualam bishshawab

nita madjid

sister, there were several reasons as to why i posted this thread. one of which was to serve as a reminder to all muslims and myself included. i went on this muslim friend search on myspace as an act of desperation in a sense. i have been a muslim for almost half my life and i'm nearly 30 years old. would you believe in all that time i have only been asked my name twice? i have only received salaam about twenty times. i have never been invited into a muslim home or invited for an iftar dinner. this has been like this for me at several masajid that i have attended. quite honestly i have been flat out ignored. i was hoping that i could meet muslims on myspace that were near my area that i could become friends with. i get so overjoyed when i see another muslim be it a male or female, yet none have been excited to meet me. here i am trying to get into good company with my fellow brothers in islam and they're out there trying to live lives contrary to islam and representing islam in a bad way. we are called to defend our deen and present it properly. the fact that i had mentioned what some muslims were doing on myspace wasn't backbiting. it's no different when we condemn muslims that erroneously perform acts in the name of islam through terrorism. we are obligated to condemn those acts.

it's just sad when a brother that loves his people for the sake of ALLAH SWT has to go outside the masjid to look for muslim friends because the masjid hasn't befriended him.

Assalamualaikum wr.wb.

This is what I meant, with Da'wah toward our inner circle not just non-muslims.
Brother (or sister?;P), I'm glad and proud and thanking Allah for always guide you in this path of His, despite of the lack of warmth you've experienced all of this year.

I live in Indonesia, yet I recommend you to contacted this organization, pks-sejahtera.org Click the english icon to turn the pages into english language. I believe InsyaAllah they also have branches in the US.

They perform regular Quran and Hadits learning in a form of small groups (they often call it as liqo or halaqah). In this small group of mine, sometimes I feel more related to them than to my own siblings. Their principle is as simple and as true as learning Islam by Quran and Hadith. They discuss about Syahadah, Getting to know Allah, Rasulullah, Quran and An-Nas (Human being).

Hope my 2 cents will help, InsyaAllah

soeurette

I don't think people are getting what I'm trying to say. I have no problems with correcting mistakes, I do that myself. There is nothing wrong with correcting mistakes, in fact as people have said we are required to do that.
What I have a problem with is people sitting around making judgments about the people who are commiting those actions. That a particular sore spot for me as I mentioned before.
What I have said is my own personal belief about the subject. I personally see no distinction between pointing out the sin of someone you do know or someone you don't know. There are many pious brothers and sisters on Facebook and Myspace and I am friends with many of them. Everything has a dual nature, but you have to learn how to use those things for the good that they can provide instead of dwelling on the bad.

precious_islam

BIG question

salaam alykim brothers and sisters

seeing all the threads about myspace, i would like to ask if it is haram or halal?
i have myspace but i dont use what some people might use it for
if you kno what mean
i have some non-muslim friends but i hardley talk to them on there
i also have images of me with my scarf on and im coverd
i mean i dont use it for anything bad

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
salaam alykim brothers and sisters

seeing all the threads about myspace, i would like to ask if it is haram or halal?
i have myspace but i dont use what some people might use it for
if you kno what mean
i have some non-muslim friends but i hardley talk to them on there
i also have images of me with my scarf on and im coverd
i mean i dont use it for anything bad

Think of it this way sister...

If you take all the time you may spend on that site..reading people's profile updates..posting pictures..checking out new features..modifying this..and adding that...and dedicate it *entirely* for reading the Qura'an..making tasbeeh..reading an Islamic book..you will probably be earning hundreds of *hasanat* otherwise lost to this *distraction* named *myspace*..wallahi with all that time..you might even be able to pray *Sunnah* prayers!

Evaluate this example..and tell me..which is better *hasanat* for your akhirah?..or this site of nothing but people posting up pictures..comments..and sending messages back and forth?

Also..I do not mean to scare you..but I must say it..ukhti..don't post your pictures on the internet..even if you're wearing *niqab!*..people can easily download pictures onto their computers..even if the site does not allow the option..there are add-ons and programs which people can download and *through them* be able to save any pictures or video clips available on a site! (and I know this because I use a program like this when I want to download videos from youtube where this option is not available..I can even *extract the audio only* and convert it..so you see I *use* a program of the sort I'm describing not for anything harmful alhamduliallah..but I do *use* it!..and trust me..it's not a hassle..I do all of what I spoke about with just *one click of a button*)..there are people with a weak nafs..even if your profile is private..you cannot guarantee that the people on your account are careful with your profile!..these factors go along with many others that I use to advice my friends against these sites..they are a *fitnah* in *every sense* wallahi!

I hope you don't take offense to my words..I am only advicing you for Allah's Sake..if I am saying something wrong then it's due to my humanness and nothing else

DanyalSAC

Well the way I look at it is this:

A stick is only a stick until you hit someone with it. Then its a weapon. These sites - Myspace, Facebook etc - are only bad if you use them as such.

I myself did have a Myspace account for a while and when I did the search for Muslims I would say 90% of what popped up were Nation of Islam, who as we know aren't true Muslims who have some less than desireable practices.

However, on Facebook I've been far more cautious and have added only friends that I KNOW. Brothers from my masjid, from Al Maghrib Institute, from our dawah committees... I do have one sister on my friends but we do NOT message each other in private and only have open discussions.

I am also part of a "Hadith of the Day" group along with a group called "I Love Allah" that posts daily videos & ahadith that I often forward along. I have friends on there that are non-Muslim as well and hopefully when I forward the ahadith they can learn from them! :)

Ultimately as I've said before these sites are what the users make of them.

In peace

D.