How to get closer to Allah? Emotionally/spiritually?

AnnaKanadeeyah

Salaam Alaikum,

As a new Muslim, I sometimes suffer from a lack of iman. I will pray in almost a robotic fashion, only because I am obligated and fear Allah. There is no emotion in it, you know? I find that during these times I am making a few mistakes and really feel better when I rectify them.

My mistakes:
- not making good intention before prayer
- not seeking out the companionship of faithful firends
- not reading Quran (I do not read Arabic yet, but a translation)
- not reading general Islamic material to inspire me

The fixes:
- taking the time to make a decent, heartfelt intention before prayer
- spending time with sisters, even if I don't feel like seeking them out (I never regret it, though! It really fills my heart.)
- dedicating five minutes for reading Quran
- reading Islamic material about raising children or marriage or something of interest to me.

(A brother might want to consider making regular visits to the masjid for spiritual reasons, and also to meet good brothers)

As for websites, I subscribe to the TTI RSS feed and reading the struggles, encouragement and knowledge of others has been uplifting. Also there are websites designed to send surah and hadith of the day to your email, which you might find useful.

All these things contribute greatly to my becoming more aware of Allah swt emotionally and really feeling a strong connection. These are very basic things to do but they are the first things to fall away when we feel alone or overwhelmed or disconnected.

Insha'Allah wa taala, one of these tips will be of help to you.

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
:salam2:

Read the Quran everyday, and its meaning so you know and feel it what you reading. That is the greatest reminder and it will keep you close to Allah InshaAllah.

revert2007

Love Fishing
I am a revert as well and yes this problem occurs in the beginning of your life as a Muslim.It depends on what point we convert to Islam.Some convert because they have the love for Allah,some because it is the truth and they must accept the truth and there is no way out about it.Some out of fear.

When we begin to pray,we might won't understand what we are reciting.It is ok as long as we recite them correctly and at least we hv the idea what we are reciting.When we sujud,talk to Allah in ur language and thats the time u can feel close to Allah.

The emotion and love cannot be faked.as some asked "how can i cry infront of Allah".there shouldn't be such question in the fiirst place because we cannot fake our deeds and our feeling for Allah.when ur heart wants u to cry then u will cry.

continue to learn islam,increase ur deeds little by little and after couple of months inshaAllah you will do very good in islam.u cannot be a Muslim in overnight.yes when u say shahadah u surrender yourself to Allah and that is called faith/iman in Allah.being a Muslim is to obey Allah's order and follow his sunnah and this will take u some time and you need to gradually be a Muslim.islam is a way of life so everything you do should be different from disbelievers.