How to overcome depression?

sal12

Salaam,
What do u lot do when ur feeling depressed and have so for a few days? I've been quite down for the past few days and I hate feeling this way. The only way I can become happier again is by having a chat with my friends over the phone but they're all very busy. I've been exercising because that's supposed to release a happy hormone or something but that's not worked. I've prayed but when I'm depressed I find it very hard to concentrate in prayers and don't enjoy praying astaghfirullah but I still pray and do try hard to concentrate. I'm usually a positive person and shrug off any problems I'm facing so I usually can cope without being depressed alhamdulillah. So what do u lot do to overcome depression? Please share any tips I hate being unhappy! :(

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

We all have our own ways but reading Qur'an is the best for me. I tell you its wonderful. I read along with Abdul Basit to make sure i read the Qur'an correctly and listen to the translation by Naeem Sultan.

This is available from www.quranicaudio.com (Free promotion). :)

I can't explain it but it really is the one of the best source's of assistance. But asking Allah is the best source of them all.

Walaykum Salam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

What is that you need to change in your life. Sometimes we just have to let go of something. Think about that and respond. I will check in later.

a_brother

Make dua for us all
:salam2: sal12

one test past (not passing exam), here is another one (feeling of depression), and tests keep on coming... you not the only one sister, this is "life". by passing those tests, one becomes stronger in his/her iman... May Allah forgive us and accept us into his paradise....ameen

what i usually do when this feeling of "depression" wants to start, i just DON'T THINK about what might depress me and start learning more about my religion (reading or watching islamic lectures, most effectively, listening to Quran) and concentrate on something else. it is easy as said, just don't think about "depression"... one will not gain or loss anything except what Allah allows, so don't worry about any material things (worry if you doing something sinful and do as many good deeds as you can else no need to worry)... think about the things that others don't have and you have and thank Allah for them. learn more about our religion, we benefit ourself by knowing and gaining reward for learning. don't let shaytan/devil over ride you, he can ONLY speak, so don't mind him when he tries to make you think "I am depressed...i am depressed... i am depressed I am depressed...i am depressed... i am depressed I am depressed...i am depressed... i am depressed" i want to start thinking about depression now :lol:

i think one reason for depression is of feeling "lonely," get busy with something or get married if not married (if not married, i think marriage would help a lot)

here are some nice threads:

How to Remove Depression and Worries
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24355&highlight=Divine+decree

Do not panic if du’aa’s are not answered
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26178&highlight=Divine+decree

wasalamo alaikom

sal12

Salaam,

What is that you need to change in your life. Sometimes we just have to let go of something. Think about that and respond. I will check in later.

I dont need to change anything I've just been really unhappy for the past few days and I dont know where it's stemmed from. I hate feeling like this!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Let me ask you this: what have you outgrown in your life..what are the things in your life that you no longer need?

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Our iman increases and decreases, it happens to most of us, we are not perfect. Is there something in your life that is bringing you down? It does not happen for nothing. Whatever it is, you will get through it. Reading Quran does help, Dhikr, reciting Allah's beautiful names, listening to a beneficial lecture, mashallah. We have to try to lift ourselves back up, or we will lose ourselves to shaytan, and he will win. Don't stop praying and make lots of duaa, Allah answers prayers, subhanallah!! I will keep you in mine inshallah.:tti_sister::tti_sister:Stay strong!

daee

salam alaykum,
First it is simply human to feel sad or depressed sometimes but it is not good to give up or continue to feel bad. Muslims are suppose to live between fear and hope,and to do that we are to suplicate to Allah (SWT) to remove the infliction from us.
Second, in fact to tell yoy the truth just last weekend I was really feeling low and down which are the initial simptoms of dipression. However the way I overcame htis practically is by finding out if their is any body sick in the community and soon as I learnt about this family I simply visited them and this isw what I learnt:
The Brother was a good businessman but lost all the business due to so many reasons and recently was diagnosed with brain tumar and is undergoing radiation therapy because it is beyound surgery.But his coposure was so cool praising Allah(SWT) and thanking Him all the time I was their. Their 18 year old son who has a incurable bone desease and was allready had right leg amputated from under the knee now needs another surgery to cut more of the leg.The other younger son has pnemonia the ony one healthy was the mother who is looking after all of them and SUNHAN ALLAH they no means of susutainance accept what Allah(SWT) provides as help from community members.But not for an instant they were complaining about their problems. After comming out of their house I felt ashamed of my problems and thanked Allah(SWT) and desided to help this family in any way I can. Prophet Muhammad Sallahu Alaihi Wa Sallam
said be mercifull to people that Allah be mencyfull to you.
Insha Allah this might work for you too.
Daee

tulipflower777

:salam2:

I just want to add, " Love Allah above all !
these are the ten reasons which cause the person to develop true love for Allaah and to reach the rank of al-muhabbah, by which he reaches his Beloved.

Shaykh Ibn al-Qayyim (rah) says:
“There's a reason which cause mahabbah (love) of Allaah to develop.

First: Reciting the Qur’aan, reflecting and understanding its meaning and its intent.

Second: Drawing closer to Allaah – the Most High – through optional deeds, after fulfilling the obligatory duties.

Third: Being continuous in the dhikr (remembrance) of Allaah, with the tongue, the heart and the limbs – under all circumstances. The more continuant the dhikr, the more muhabbah develops and intensifies.

Fourth: Giving precedence to what Allaah loves over personal loves, when being overcome by desires.

Fifth: Contemplating and deliberating over the Names and Attributes of Allaah.

Sixth: Recognizing and remembering the favors and bounties of Allaah – both manifest and hidden.

Seventh: To be humble and submissive before Allaah – and this is the greatest matter.

Eighth: To be in seclusion reciting the Qur’aan, during that time in which Allaah descends to the lowest heaven (which is the last third of every night), finishing this recitation with seeking Allaah’s forgiveness and repenting to Him.

Ninth: To sit in the gatherings of the true and sincere lovers of Allaah, reaping the fruits of their speech, and not to speak except if there is benefit in it and that you know that such talk will increase you in goodness and that it will benefit others as well.

Tenth: To stay clear of all those causes which distances the heart from Allaah – the Mighty and Majestic.

May Allah adorn you with the adornment of faith,and made you of those who guide others and are themselves on guidance." )

"Allahs blessings are a treasure so true that their value cannot be measured and one of Allahs blessings is you!

wassalam

sal12

sorry for the late reply. yeh im still depressed for a number of reasons. i'll just mention one of the reasons because i dont really want to announce the others. one of the reasons is that recently my mum has been annoying me a lot. she's got ocd and this is a psychological problem shes had for years. she doesnt want to treat it and doesnt think she has a problem. anyway its gotten worse and worse and this has made her become a really angry person in an irrational way. recently shes not been trusting me and is always asking me questions about where ive been and what im doing even though im only at work. i swear ive never in my life done anything indecent like she suspects. shes not the kind of mum u could "talk" to. in fact u have to avoid talking to her because she just shouts. my whole life ive been used to this but for some reason its been getting to me a lot recently more than ever. thats one of the reasons. another is that i keep failing one of my exams even though i revise a lot and this hasnt ever happened to me before. usually when i revise i pass. (i posted about this a few weeks ago) theres another issue but I dont want to go into it. u all might think its not a big deal but because of my mum i hate being at home. i cant pray properly coz of how im feeling even though i still pray all of my prayers but i just cant concentrate fully. there's actually a few other things aswell. but because of all of this im not that close to Allah even though i want to be. when im happy thats when im close to Allah. i still pray only because i know i have to not because i want to astaghfirullah.