How to tell parents

SmallTownMuslima

Hey everyone,
I think i am ready to tell my parents that i became a muslim, but i am not quite sure how and i was wondering how all the other converts on this site did? Thanks Everybody!

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:jumpclap: :jumpclap: :jumpclap:

Thats great news !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be sure to stick around .there are many muslima here to help you

Julie1134

Back in August 2006 I converted/reverted to Islam. I was starting some classes at my new college. I was a transfer student. I began to wear the hijab for the first time. Finally my husband, daughter,and I moved back to KY. I was sending my mom many links from Youtube for her to watch about Islam. I even sent her a Quran because she seemed interested and ask for one. Once she got the Quran she read a little and didn't seem to like it. She didn't want it in her home. So one day she came to visit and I showed her all of my hijabs and my prayer outfit. She really liked them and even put one on. I have pictures. :) So what I done was tell her very slowly over time and not all at once. Just the other day I explained what Islam was about and she didn't judge me and even was amazed. Especially about the scientific facts in the Quran. She told me that now she understands what Islam really is. So my advice is try to take it slow with them. My mother didn't accept it at first, but over time she has. Take care

LeylaHussain

As salamu alaykum,

It is always a bit delicate to talk about your conversion to your family since we are affraid of them taking it bad and then reject us.
As far as I am concerned, the only contacts I have are with my mother and my sister, but inshaAllah I pray that they come to term with it and find the beauties of Islam.
I would say that the best way you can do it is by showing them how better and happier you became since you reverted. Your exemple is worth all the sterile discussions you will have with them.
Always be patient, don't forget that Allah ta'la is with the sabirun.
Make loads of duahs and ask Allah ta'la for their guidance.
Dear, sister, I wish you will be successful in your dawa and never despair since Allah SWT is with you.

Your sister fillah Leyla :hijabi:

wa salam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Salam Alaikum

I told my mom a few weeks after becoming Muslim. My mom's side of the family is very Catholic I should have told her earlier, my mom is a very open person mashAllah.
So one day well I was at work I called her and said guess what, her first reaction was "you're pregnant" lol. Then she said " you're Muslim" so I guess she knew it was coming, maybe she could already see a change in me. Alhamdulillah my mom has been the easiest person to tell.
I wish you the best sister SmallTownMuslima

Doris

Bismilah,

Parents that are not muslims are told regarding invertion to this religion with patience and easy steps. Espacially when dealing with europian parents. You see in europe( not everywhere) the parents are little more closer with their children in contrast with america or canada.The Eastern Europian ones are the most hardheaded from all. Now, ifyour parents are atheists then be careful don't speak too much in the begging about this religion.Show a lot of actions( study- if in school and get good grades, don't bring home lazy friends who are good for nothing etc) If they are religious then tell them stories from the Prophets that are familiar to them from the old testament in the Bible like the example of Noah, Ibraheem ect.Stay away from little details(this haram that haram) because when time for real conversation approaches they will try to use things against you( if you have done something wrong), so be smart.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Bismilah,

Parents that are not muslims are told regarding invertion to this religion with patience and easy steps. Espacially when dealing with europian parents. You see in europe( not everywhere) the parents are little more closer with their children in contrast with america or canada.The Eastern Europian ones are the most hardheaded from all. Now, ifyour parents are atheists then be careful don't speak too much in the begging about this religion.Show a lot of actions( study- if in school and get good grades, don't bring home lazy friends who are good for nothing etc) If they are religious then tell them stories from the Prophets that are familiar to them from the old testament in the Bible like the example of Noah, Ibraheem ect.Stay away from little details(this haram that haram) because when time for real conversation approaches they will try to use things against you( if you have done something wrong), so be smart.

Salam
My mom is Eastern European, I don't think it's fair to sterotype

amyaishazouaoui

Bismilah,

:salam2:
Everyones parents are different!! I had my islamic books on my bookshelf for about 2 years before i eventually reverted. My dad and brother got the hint...my mum had been on cloud 9 for the duration and she was shocked!! I didnt know how to tell them and it built up inside me and i couldnt hold it in any more.

I would drop hints..like you had lunch today with a muslim friends and you talked about different things.

Test out the water before you try.

But ultimately the majority of parents want their children to be happy, it might be difficult for them at first but be gentle, show them you are still you and uktimately TRUST in ALLAH.

In islam Ive found when one door closes many more open and inshallah what ever happens will be better for you and Allah will save you from harm.

:wasalam:

AAZ

aaminah

Salam! It took me 4months to tell my aunt(guardian) that I reverted to Islam. By that time, she already noticed a lot of changes in me like I don't go out on Sat nights anymore, I pray in my room 5x a day, I wake up early, I prefer reading than spending a lot of time using the phone like what I used to, she also noticed that I became religious like when we talk, I share to her some of our teachings but she did not know that it is from Islam. There are also many instances wherein I asked her what she thinks about a known muslim revert in our country who became a real good man, and other many good stories of muslims I know..so that somehow, in a way, I can show her that the religion is good. When I've finally see that she thinks I became better, I told her about my convertion. She has a lot of questions though but at least she wasn't shocked and she somehow changed her views about muslims. Many thanks to Allah for guiding us, you can do it too!

umm hussain

Asalam alaikum warahmatullah

I didn't tell my mum, my sister did and still haven't told my dad but he knows obviously, it was hard for her and still is I guess but I would say at least we talk now, she disowned me for sometime though. I was born and raised in a Catholic family but my parents were and are still involved in a bit of culture, tradition when it suits them even if it goes against the teachings of the catholic church.

I think parents are different and you would best judge your family and know what to say when. I know how it feels though, really scary stuff lol. The funny thing is I wasn't so scared of them before I became Muslim and basically I didn't care how they felt.

Anyway, may Allah make it easy for you.

Doris

Bismilah,

Dear all,

When I say Estern Europian Parents for those who understood me, don't see any sterotype. ask your pu self the question what countries were communists? let's see, Former Yugoslavia, Croatia, Albania, Poland, Rumania Russia.Slovania, Ch. Republic, Hungry etc. Most of these countries not only rejected religion, but were firm athests. Even Turkey former "khalifah" state most of the youth don't even care about Islaam.Now as for the Western Europian contries they have religion my dear, so when you say "I don't think it's fair to sterotype" Now I believe you understand what I am trying to explain inshallah.

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Bismilah,

Dear all,

When I say Estern Europian Parents for those who understood me, don't see any sterotype. ask your pu self the question what countries were communists? let's see, Former Yugoslavia, Croatia, Albania, Poland, Rumania Russia.Slovania, Ch. Republic, Hungry etc. Most of these countries not only rejected religion, but were firm athests. Even Turkey former "khalifah" state most of the youth don't even care about Islaam.Now as for the Western Europian contries they have religion my dear, so when you say "I don't think it's fair to sterotype" Now I believe you understand what I am trying to explain inshallah.

SAlam
Since you used my quote I guess your refering to me. My mom's side of the family is HUNGARIAN and Catholic to assume they are athiests is 100% wrong. Plz sister we as Muslims are WRONGLY sterotyped when it comes to many issues in Islam, plz don't assume our nationality equals our "religiousness"

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum all!

Dear sister/brother jabba, i think sister Doris is trying to present a bigger picture which i have noticed to be true. I am sure she doesn't mean any disrespect to anyone in particular. I can understand you feel this way because non muslims have been wrongly stereotyping us muslims.

wassalam

Globalpeace

Banned
Revert Observation!

Asslamo Allaikum,

I am NOT a Revert but have observed a few things over the years.

In my experience the hardest experiences are of those who revert to Islam from hindu’ism!

Boy-O-Boy… Do they get it from their parents!

Any observant person SHOULD and USUALLY notice a gradual change in a person, by the same token I have met Reverts who heard about Islam & reverted right THEN & THERE, ON THE SPOT!

Over the years I have had conversations with many Reverts & they thought they were keeping a secret (from family, friends and loved ones) only to find out later that everyone had noticed a change in their behaviour & knew something was up but simply chose not to discuss it….

Everybody’s family is different so there is no hard and fast rule, obviously if you are financially (& otherwise) independent then it doesn’t really matter if the reaction is negative, I suppose.

I suppose everyone deep down knows to a certain extent (if not completely) how the family will take the news and react!

Droping hints from time to time will soften the blow obviously, if you think that the reaction will be negative!

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK Sis,
If you are not financially secure then i think you should hold on to it for a while. But be steadfast in your way and always seek guidance from ALLAH SWT. May ALLAH SWT make it easy for you.
Ameen.

abd_elwahed

asq allah to help u

:mashallah: coungratulatins for islam.just ask allah to help u an keep ur parents agree an be habby for u.:salam2: :mashallah:

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
AssalaamuAlaikum,

I am a born Muslim, Alhamdulillah.
As the sister has mentioned that she was still eating pork and did not come to practice the basic things yet.
In my humble opinion, she should take some time to at least practice Islam related to her basic necessities. The build up will power is very important when you tell your parents and have to face their negative reaction and sometimes anger blow.

Not being able to practice the basic things about Islam, shows the lack of will power, and will power is the thing needed to strengthen and sustain the Faith.

Wassalaam

jabba

Salafi Dawah is the best
Assalamu alaikum all!

Dear sister/brother jabba, i think sister Doris is trying to present a bigger picture which i have noticed to be true. I am sure she doesn't mean any disrespect to anyone in particular. I can understand you feel this way because non muslims have been wrongly stereotyping us muslims.

wassalam

Salam
No offense because you probably don't know but for the 5th time I AM A FEMALE.
FYI I do not feel this way because "non muslims have been wrongly stereotyping us muslims" but I will not go into it because this is not the proper thread to do so
wa salam