How to wear this pants-looking thing?

booya

:salam2:

I just purchased a salwar/kurta set from AlHannah. I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it's basically a long shirt (goes to the knees) and a pant-looking thing.

What I mean pants-looking thing is that it is a pant, but the waist is VERY wide, so it looks like a W.

There is also a piece of long fabric, I guess it should be used as a waistband of some sort, but if I put the pants on, it's very awkward. It's hard to pull it up to my waist, and there is so much excess.

But still, the shirt is awesome mashaAllah. No more worrying your pants/shirt getting pulled down etc.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
What about the waist??! LOL. I love Shalwar sets but this does not make sense to me...

Okay in a Shalwar set there are three things: Kurti top, shalwar pants, and dupatta for women. I guess you got a sash since you are a man.

booya

It doesn't make sense when I open it, and it doesn't make sense when I put it on. The waist looks like its for a size 50!

I guess I'll just use the top.

alf2

Islam is a way of life
It doesn't make sense when I open it, and it doesn't make sense when I put it on. The waist looks like its for a size 50!

Can you not get it taken in? A seamstress could easily take the waist in for you :)

ximkoyra

I just purchased a salwar/kurta set from AlHannah. I'm not sure what the proper term is, but it's basically a long shirt (goes to the knees) and a pant-looking thing.

What I mean pants-looking thing is that it is a pant, but the waist is VERY wide, so it looks like a W.

There is also a piece of long fabric, I guess it should be used as a waistband of some sort, but if I put the pants on, it's very awkward. It's hard to pull it up to my waist, and there is so much excess.

But still, the shirt is awesome mashaAllah. No more worrying your pants/shirt getting pulled down etc.

You're right, it's a waistband.

That long piece of fabric goes inside the pants like you would shove a metal rod through a curtain. You should be able to spot two holes on the inside waist line. That's where you shove the piece of fabric through. Once you've got it through, you would pull the fabric until the pants(salwar) tighten and fit comfortably around your waste and tie it like you would tie your laces.

I hope that's what you're looking for. I'm not sure what it could be if that's not what you're asking

booya

That's it. I did notice the holes.

But is it normal to be such a huge size? That didn't even look like pants.

ximkoyra

Heh

Yeah, they look like that when they're brand new and there's no waistband in it to give it any shape. After you've got the waistband in, put them on, pull them up and then pull on the two ends of the waistband and the waist will take a pant-like shape. It'll probably be a little awkward at first, but you'll be able to figure it out after you wear it once or twice. It should be able to maintain a normal shape after you've worn it.

Learning how to put the waistband all the way through will probably be the toughest part to learn to do (at least it was for me).

Tabassum07

Smile for Allah
Why don't you just take it to the masjid, and InshaAllah, some brothers will be able to help you there - because explaining this in words will just not work out at all. You need to loop the waistband around a pencil or anything else, and then run it through to put it inside the shalwar.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

brother you are suppose to put like elastic or wat most men use is wats called a nala, i think its the piece of long fabric, that pant looking thing called the shalwar check around its waist at the back it shud hve a small openning where u can put the fabric thing then using a pen or something u put it all the way around the shalwar (pant looking thing) and then u tighten that and adjust it to ur waist
should look like this if we both are talking abt the same thing

m14.jpg

: ) really hard to explain hope u understood a lil
walaikum salam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Yea, it should be that huge. After the band goes through, you can adjust to your waist length.

Heh

Learning how to put the waistband all the way through will probably be the toughest part to learn to do (at least it was for me).

Nah bro. Just take your mom's/sister's sleek hair pin. Put an end of the waist band in between the pin and put it through one side of hole and you can take it out the other with ease. :)

Just remember to return the hair pin to it's owner..

brother you are suppose to put like elastic or wat most men use is wats called a nala, i think its the piece of long fabric, that pant looking thing called the shalwar check around its waist at the back it shud hve a small openning where u can put the fabric thing then using a pen or something u put it all the way around the shalwar (pant looking thing) and then u tighten that and adjust it to ur waist

Isn't it called 'naa -rda' ? .. Btw I wouldn't put a pen through the fabric man..lol

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)

Isn't it called 'naa -rda' ? .. Btw I wouldn't put a pen through the fabric man..lol

lol naala naa-rda some people say it this way some other depends where u from but naala cud be punjabi word ALlahu alam

we used the pen u know with the caps lol :p yeas teh result is not always hte best but as last resort why not : )

kayleigh

lol one of the sets my friend's mom got me looked like that and it confused me for a really long time until I got the courage up to ask someone about it.