How was 'Eid celebrated where you come from?

Nurain

Assalamu alaykum brothers & sisters,

I have not been on TTI for so long, and I miss all of you very much. Let me hear from you,

Would you care to share with me how 'eid was celebrated at your place? In Singapore, it goes up to a month (YES A MONTH) and people spend a lot to beautify homes, modify cars, buying new clothes, money to children what they call "green packets", buying lots of festive goodies which costs to hundreds or more, rental of cars, etc. etc. Lots of wastage, all in the hope to "better kinship" and even so backbiting and slandering is pretty much widespread. Almost makes me wish I live in a cave.

Though I felt very happy on the day of Eid (that is to say, the first day only considering it's up to a month here) because I went through one more Ramadhan and it makes me feel all set to better myself as a muslim.

So please share how was yours? How long was the duration? Lol..

I really, really miss everyone on TTI. Big hugs (sisters only)! :muslim_child:

rightpath_357

hey sis. wo- that rlly over-the-top! anyways- we threw a party- but a good one- the teachings of Islam were still remembered. nice. hugs 2 u 2.

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Sister, this is good discussion especially for us in the South East Asia. We want to change things here according to sunnah. Good to know how you guys celebrated it.

I wanted to ask also how it is being celebrated in the Middle East, UK, US, Africa, India and else where. I heard in the Middle East it being celebrated just for 1 or two days, after which ppl will be back to fasting for 6 days. MashAllah, something is difficult to do in my country.

Eid is celebrated for the whole month of Syawwal in Malaysia. We have open houses everywhere, especially every weekends. Very sad because Eid is celebrated better than Ramadhan. As soon as we enter Syawwal, the sand castle they built in Ramadan will be "torn down" immediately, all back to normal. You know what I mean.

duran

Asalama Alaykum

I live San diego, CA.

There are so many different muslims here, including, Arabs (from saudi arabia, Iraq, Palatestine, Lebenon, Egypt...and so on), Pakistanis, Somalis and much more.

Every group of muslims celebrate differrently, but from my group (somalis), usually after prayer we go back home and eat sweets, then we prepare to go out with friends and families to check out HOT-SPOTS of san diego, such the Zoo and sea world. Then when we come back, we go relatives homes to have fun with them...thats how the day ends, and usually nothing much happens next day except people who miss to go out to visit the hot-spots will go.

here is video i recorded from this eid...

enjoy

[yt]vy0nbC2FmB0[/yt]

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

Nice to see you back again, Sister Nurain.

I thought about opening a similar thread, but then I got lazy. ;/

I will just share what I remember from Bangladesh. Usually, people start preparing for Eid a week in advance. A typical preparation means buying food supplies, buying new clothes for the kids, new clothes for immediate family members, buying fruits.... making traditional holiday dishes,

On the day of the Eid, the women in the household starts prepairing traditional meals early in the morning, usually consist of sweets, and they make the heavy dishes (biriani, and what not) around noon since bangali lunch is at 3 or 4p.m. ;/.

We would wake up early and shower.... wear the best clothes. Prior to going to the Masjid we would usually eat something sweet and then come back from Salah and have some more sweets.
This is when the real fun starts!
After collecting Eid money from Mom and Dad and other elders, we would usually get together like a gang with our cousins and visit our relatives houses to collect even more Eid money. :D God, getting Eid money made me so happy... we would even compete to see who would receive more money,

Afterwards, we would go to the market to buy toys and everything we can set our eyes on. In the meantime our relatives would come and visit our house, the kids would do the same thing which is basically get money and make a run for it, and the elders will stay for a while and chit chat with parents.

This was the typical Eid I witnessed everywhere, and pretty much everyone I knew celebrated Eid the same way.

I described my Eid experience from Childhood, because I think it was most enjoyable back then, it's not the same anymore. It's truly a day of happiness for kids :D.

Allahualam, this was 10 years ago, I think Eid is celebrated somewhat differently in the city whereas I grew up in the village/small town environment*

Eid here in USA is kind of dull.

:wasalam:

Nurain

Ma sha Allaah, ma sha Allaah some very good responses.

Where are you from sister rightpath357? Threw a *party* I see, lol. As long as it is practised islamically it should be okay in sha Allaah. But how is an islamic party like?

Yes brother HardRockMoslem, eid in Malaysia and Singapore are almost the same I guess. Althought I've seen a dip in 'open houses' in Singapore (or maybe I'm just not invited to many lol). And Malaysians tend to go back to their parents' place in kampungs - right? Sorry, just stuff I get from watching too much malaysian channel :D

Brother Duran, funny how you visit the zoos etc during Eid! Ma sha Allaah, although wonderful what ever keeps you happy on the day of 'Eid! Though it shouldn't be that muslims are in "Groups" i.e. the arab group, somali group, etc. But sad to say this is the reality of today. And JazakAllaah khayr for the video! I was eager to watch the solat part though lol.. have always wondered how people manage to record solat or TAKE PICTURES of other people performing solat. Good move to switch the camcorder off!

Lol Brother sharingan, I see yours is a lot of what we call the "Green packet" here in Singapore (as opposed to the chinese new year "red packet" - singapore is very secular state) cos you keep mentioning money! Aaah well, how nice it is to be a kid again. Care free and only need to shake hands with adults to get money. Although I still DO get money from some people now, haha, because I am still studying (albeit part time),

Please! Can we have more brothers and sisters stating where they came from, where they reside now and how Eid is celebrated for both or at least one of it? We are very interested to know!

It's funny how the muslim mentality here is: I fast one whole month, I deserve Eid for one whole month. Lol. If only they realise..

BADTASTEBEARS

Fear Allah

well u do know where I come from and how we celebrate Eid here. I just dont like the idea of having it for a month. haha strange.

wassalam

Nurain

Wa alaykum salam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakatuh brother,

I think 'Eid has deviated very far from what it was originally meant to be. And 'Eid in Singapore is nothing to shout about. Rather it is a celebration about what colour to dye a person's hair? what colour should the family wear? what colour should the curtains be? what colourshould the house be painted etc. really, really a waste of time and all those house visiting ibarat memenatkan diri saja, tapi tak berbuah hasil untuk mengeratkan silaturrahim. i think we all have too much money at hand

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother

well u do know where I come from and how we celebrate Eid here. I just dont like the idea of having it for a month. haha strange.

wassalam

Me too, I do not agree celebrating it for whole month. You know many muslim closed their shops for weeks just for Eid, it seem they will do so as soon as they found a good reason to do so. Very unfortunate when I see chinese in my country they will close their shops only for 1 or 2 days during their festivals. They are hard working so they are economically better than us.

In Malaysia first 2 days of Eid is good, we visits family and friends and many of us travel outstations, like sister Nurain said to our "kampung" or village/hometown. Unfortunately, by right we should follow the path of Sunnah by observing 6 days fasting in Syawwal but many muslims here busy celebrating Eid to the extent of 1 month. Once I was invited to Eid open house, which was held after the month of Syawwal, nauzubillah...very sad.

It is very wrong culture here, Eid is all about eating and eating for the whole month because there will be a lot of open house invitation.

Nurain

Unfortunately, by right we should follow the path of Sunnah by observing 6 days fasting in Syawwal but many muslims here busy celebrating Eid to the extent of 1 month. Once I was invited to Eid open house, which was held after the month of Syawwal, nauzubillah...very sad.

It is very wrong culture here, Eid is all about eating and eating for the whole month because there will be a lot of open house invitation.

I did not know there is a 6 days fasting to follow Prophet salallaahu 'alayhe wa sallaam sunnah during Syawal.. subhanAllaah.

It makes all the eating look more ugly :/

Nayyararsi

Kashmiri Brother
ASSALAMUALAIKUM Everyone

EID is for people who are free physically,socially,economically who can think independently.EID is not for us who are slaves,slaves of the Kuffar.May Allah show us and the brothers in Palestine the the morning of the EID,"THE EID OF FREEDOM",so that we too can celebrate it freely.