Question: I did not start fasting at the age I was supposed to?

HirraJaved

I know I've been asking a lot of questions about fasting, but this has been an area of concern for me. I know you're supposed to start fasting at the age of puberty, which for girls is the age when they started getting their periods. Anyways, I didn't start fasting at that age because I didn't know we were supposed to. I can't remember but I was either 12 or 13 when I started fasting. My question is how can I make up for that? I've heard that once the next Ramadan starts you can't make up the fasts for the previous Ramadan which means I definitely can't make up the fasts from 6 Ramadan's ago. Is it sufficient for me to do voluntary fasting for every day that I missed? And is it okay if I don't do it right away because I'm very skinny, like 84 pounds and I'm 16 years old. My doctor says I have to gain weight and my parents would never let me fast right now in this condition, unless it's for Ramadan. If I tell them my situation, they would say I'm going crazy and that it doesn't matter, but I'm sure it matters. Fasting and prayer are a big deal in Islam.

a_stranger

As salamu alaikim wa rahmatu Allah wa barakartu
Dear sister you should count how many ramadans you didn't fast after puberty and count the days then you should fast them : you can fast every Monday and Thursday or three days every month or any way you like and feed for every day a poor person if you can , if you don't can no need InshaAllah . May Allah accept all your good deeds.
With love.