I dont get it

*Sana*

.~.Slave of Allah.~.
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatu,

Hmmm... What is it that you do not understand Sister?!

The guy is an infidel and claiming prophethood and modifying the Quraan!!! He deserves a severe punishment if not guidance from Allah Ta'alah. Astaghfirullah but how can you ever make such big claims!?!?

May Allah guide us all and save the Muslim Ummah from such dilemmas Insha Allah.

Wasalaam

Abu Hurairah

Extinct
Wa alaikumassalaam warahmatullaahi wabarakatuhu,

It's not actually clear what happened. It doesn't look to me that he claimed Prophethood, he was accused of it by a cleric.

The clerics said Zalmai, a stocky 54-year-old spokesman for the attorney general, was trying to anoint himself as a prophet.
That could mean either
i) Zalmai was anointing himself as a Prophet OR
ii) Clerics claimed Zalmai was anointing himself as a Prophet by bringing his own book.

I think the likely case is the latter, had it been the first he would have been killed by now.

It is also not clear HOW he modified the Qur'an, if the accusation was that he merely translated the meaning of the Qur'an then that is something which is known, but it may be the case that there wasn't an arabic version alongside it and that wasn't acceptable to some.

Many clerics rejected the book because it did not include the original Arabic verses alongside the translation. It's a particularly sensitive detail for Muslims, who regard the Arabic Quran as words given directly by God. A translation is not considered a Quran itself, and a mistranslation could warp God's word.
As it says 'Many clerics rejected the book' for the reason given, it may suggest there is something more sinister which lead to other clerics rejecting it.

I am not defending these people by any means, i'm just commenting on the ambiguity of the article from a kuffar/non-Muslim source.