I have a question

TiLKi

Local Stranger
Hello,
I wonder if we have to do all rules of Islam. There are something which I dont understand. Should we keep these rules for Allah without understanding and not believing by heart? To do all what religion wants from us when we dont feel it in heart?

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
obligatory rules; have to be done weather a person likes it or not
sunnahs; which are the acts (bonus) to get more hasanat(good deeds)
you are free to understand or figure out why yr doing this thing in scientific theories etc...
for exaample;
the prophet (peace be upon him) said; (sunnah) we SHOULD NOT sleep on the stomach,
if you go to the scientific term which ahs been discovered lately;
we shouldn't sleep, because it casues damages to the back & neck!
to know more about this issue watch this;
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27496

:salam2::D

muharram23

Staff member
Hello,
I wonder if we have to do all rules of Islam. There are something which I dont understand. Should we keep these rules for Allah without understanding and not believing by heart? To do all what religion wants from us when we dont feel it in heart?

Salamu alaykum

The things that are obligatory (faraid) have to be performed such as Salah (prayer), zekat, fasting, hajj, hijaab (proper covering for females) also proper covering for the males. Also, we have to stay away from all the things that ALlah made as haram (forbidden acts) which are stated in the quran such as zina, drinking alcohol, taking/dealing interrest, eating pork, music, killing, giba (back biting), evil speach, lying, stealing etc.

In one hadith resulullah svs said, that whatever i have commended you to stay away from, then do so and whatever i have commanded you to do, then do as much as ur able to.

By the way, what do you understand? There are a lot of things in islaam that we do not understand and are not meant to be understood. For example, why we pray 2 rekah for fajr, 4 for zuhr, 4 for asr, 3 for maghrib, 4 for ishaa. Why we wash our hand 3 times, then our mouth 3 times, etc. Why when we want to take gusul (after sexual intercourse or wet dream) we have to perform it in special order washing the entire body while when you do not have water, it is sufficient to just touch the clean earth with your palms and then touch your face?

These things are all ghaib (uknown why) but also a test from Allah sva if we are going to submit ourselves to Him and accept whatever He s.va then His prophet s.vs command us.

Allah knows best
wasalam

TiLKi

Local Stranger
I know that is super to believe and keep all rules but I am asking if we should keep these rules when we dont beleive in them in fact.

OsMaN_93

Here to help
I know that is super to believe and keep all rules but I am asking if we should keep these rules when we dont beleive in them in fact.
if they are obligatory u have no choice u have to follow them.
tell us brother, whats preventing you from acting upon?
salah?:)

:salam2:

TiLK

I would just ask it in a bit different way. Does it have the same value for God, when we keep rules just because they are rules and when we believe them honestly from the bottom of heart? Is there a difference for Allah? I mean, you can not know what he thinks but we could at least guess...

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH
Yes, I do.
then u should get understanding as u go along. what i mean is that as u do something u learn the y's and the y nots as u r doing. DON'T b afraid 2 ask a question as 2 the y, then u will feel it n ur heart

muharram23

Staff member

Salamu alaykum

dear sister in islaam. It is very dangerous what you just said. We have to believe in everything that Allah send down in the quraan or the sunnah. If there is something that we do not believe than it takes us out of islaam and we are not considered muslim by most scholars of islaam. It is different if a person says i believe in everything but i am just week or bad muslim, compared to someone who says "yes, i know quran says this, or prophet muhammad s.vs said this, but i don't believe." Scholars say about the first one as being a muslim who is sinful while the second one as a kaafir. So, we have to be very careful and accept everything that Allah sva sent down or His prophet svs told us whether we understand or not.

Allah knows best
wasaalam

Amir_of_spain

The way i look at it sister is that i dont believe religious things which i consider are untrue, ie has no religious basis, if others follow it, i personally wont follow it. And if there are rules which i find hard to swallow i equate this to my lack of knowledge, understanding or application of that ruling, however i wouldn't say i dont believe in it, as i know it is from the divine whose logic is perfect. So my advice would be is do more research on that issue/law which you have problems with, often people lack knowledge and dont bother doing their research, which is wrong as god has made it upon us that we need to make effort in order to gain correct knowledge which is from the prophet.

Ibn_Syena

Peace...
As Salamu Alekum

ok bro/sis TILKI, let's re-phrase; to make things easier, I think you can give us examples for what you "dont beleive in them in fact", so that we can help... and yes, I understand what you mean by this I guess, it's something like not feeling they'r really important, or "why should I really wake up and leave my worm and soft bed that early just to do 2 rak'a" rather than completely rejecting "them"...is that true?

I second bro Amir of spain that you should search, and I believe we can help you with this in chaa' Allah..., jsut ask!

Wassalam Alekum

Muhammad

gazkour

Assalamo Alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

When someone thinks about Islam just being rules, rules for the "hell of it", that's why people go astray, I think.

We have to understand that when Allah The Almighty give us a guidance and advise for our own good that's what we call a rule.

People don't like (or don't feel) when they are told to stop something they are "enjoying". For intance, when people fornicate, and you tell them to stop, believe me, they'll hate it! But when they realise that Allah wants to protect them from diseases, being hurt, being used, unwanted pregancies, low estime, disrespect, etc,etc, they will probably start appreciating and "feelling" right about such a "rule".

I think you have to know what really is behind of each rule. Allah has never said something to give us a hard time or just to bother us or make our existence more difficult. SubhanaAllah He is The Most Merciful and Kind and He wants a good life for us. It's just us that most of the time don't get it!!

If you haven't been a very practicing muslim (I'm just assuming) is also difficult to start feelling in your heart all the so called 'rules' just overnight. It is a process, it's a give and take thing. As you get closer to Allah The Almighty, it'll be easier for you to understand it, enshaAllah.

Just remember that we all have sometimes felt to do something wrong like punching someone, for instance. I can assure you that none of us has really felt in the heart to stop, forgive and kiss that person at that precise moment of anger, but deeeep inside we knew that it would've been wrong to go ahead with the punch, and we did stop even going against our own feelings at the time.

We cannot base our believes and faith on our feelings most of the time. One day we feel like praying, next day we don't; one day we feel like loving, next day we hate, sometimes we feel ill, sad, or lazy, sometimes we don't. As you see, we fluctuate all the time, we were created weak, therefore Allah has set boundaries and advises for us to keep sane!!

Can you imagine Allah telling us: pray just whe you feel in your heart like praying, or perhaps help the people in need just when you are convinced of it, or fast when you feel it ?? Can you just imagine? Nobody will do it!!

Allah knows best.

Assalamo alikom wa rahmato Allah wa barakato

SoItWasWritten

dear sister in islaam. It is very dangerous what you just said. We have to believe in everything that Allah send down in the quraan or the sunnah. If there is something that we do not believe than it takes us out of islaam and we are not considered muslim by most scholars of islaam.

Assalaamu Alaikum,

Firstly I would like to say to TiLki that I think its brave of you to at least ask for clarification and may Allah guide you to feel islam in its entirity sincerely in your heart. Muharram23...I somewhat agree with you but I think you might have overestimated what the sister was trying to say. I think she was just asking for clarification, because perhaps she didn't understand a particular aspect of the deen. We all go through moments of weak eman and that doesn't necessarily 'take us out of islam' or mean we are bad muslims. I in fact think that it is also dangerous to think of someone who is questionning certain aspects of islam and genuniely wanting to find answers as a 'non-muslim' because, afterall we are all on a journey of spiritual discovery and we are bound to come across peaks and valleys in that journey. Only Allah knows whats in our hearts.

TiLki, to answer your question, Allah (SWT) knows best for us and some things are beyond our comprehension simply because we are limited in our abilities to comprehend them and Allah is all-knowing. However, to feed your curiosity on the reasons behind Allah's commandments might I suggest you go to the source (the Quran) and read it with an unbias mind and if you are still confused speak with/seek guidance from a scholar because doubts should not be ignored because that is when you truely become spiritually neglegent and distraught (may Allah save us all from such a fate, ameen).

Btw TiLKi, might I ask what it is about islam that has inspired your doubting? So far this thread has been very vauge and perhaps if you told us the root of your doubt we could clarify it for you or better direct you to where you could recieve clarification.

Whatever it is, with an increased knowledge resevoir about the deen insha'Allah you will find it easier to feel the wisdom of the messages with your all your heart and stregthen your eman. So just study islam with an open heart and mind, and remember that Allah (SWT) knows better for us than we know for ourselves. May He ease your journey, ameen.

Ma'salaam:hijabi:

:tti_sister:

SoItWasWritten

Salaam,

I also forgot to mention...
Always keep in mind that islam is a religion of discipline. We are challenged to discipline our hearts and minds to enrich our spirits, so trials and tribulations (such as the kind you are currently facing) are Allah's way of testing our spiritual endurance. The very essence of faith is to trust that God knows best for us. It is the fundamental ingredient for any believer of anything. So if, for example, (and this is just hypothetical) you find it hard to pray because you don't feel it in your heart, that's a sign that you need to discipline yourself to focus more on what you are actually saying during prayer and try to let the words of Allah that you utter penetrate your heart. Its not an easy thing to do. It takes diligence, patience and DISCIPLINE. Iman Zaid Shakir once said that prayer becomes like an empty vessel if you do not reflect upon the words you utter (I didnt put that in quotes because it is not verbatim what he said, but something along those lines). May Allah (SWT) make us of those who recieve maximum benefit from His revelations, ameen.

Ma'salaam

muharram23

Staff member
Assalaamu Alaikum,

Firstly I would like to say to TiLki that I think its brave of you to at least ask for clarification and may Allah guide you to feel islam in its entirity sincerely in your heart. Muharram23...I somewhat agree with you but I think you might have overestimated what the sister was trying to say. I think she was just asking for clarification, because perhaps she didn't understand a particular aspect of the deen. We all go through moments of weak eman and that doesn't necessarily 'take us out of islam' or mean we are bad muslims. I in fact think that it is also dangerous to think of someone who is questionning certain aspects of islam and genuniely wanting to find answers as a 'non-muslim' because, afterall we are all on a journey of spiritual discovery and we are bound to come across peaks and valleys in that journey. Only Allah knows whats in our hearts.

TiLki, to answer your question, Allah (SWT) knows best for us and some things are beyond our comprehension simply because we are limited in our abilities to comprehend them and Allah is all-knowing. However, to feed your curiosity on the reasons behind Allah's commandments might I suggest you go to the source (the Quran) and read it with an unbias mind and if you are still confused speak with/seek guidance from a scholar because doubts should not be ignored because that is when you truely become spiritually neglegent and distraught (may Allah save us all from such a fate, ameen).

Btw TiLKi, might I ask what it is about islam that has inspired your doubting? So far this thread has been very vauge and perhaps if you told us the root of your doubt we could clarify it for you or better direct you to where you could recieve clarification.

Whatever it is, with an increased knowledge resevoir about the deen insha'Allah you will find it easier to feel the wisdom of the messages with your all your heart and stregthen your eman. So just study islam with an open heart and mind, and remember that Allah (SWT) knows better for us than we know for ourselves. May He ease your journey, ameen.

Ma'salaam:hijabi:

:tti_sister:

Salamu alaykum

If you read my post i say that it is what the scholars say and not me. But inshAllah we will wait for her response otherwise we are just wasting our time writing and we do not know the sisters issue.

wasalam

SoItWasWritten

Salamu alaykum

If you read my post i say that it is what the scholars say and not me. But inshAllah we will wait for her response otherwise we are just wasting our time writing and we do not know the sisters issue.

Wa'Alaikum Salaam,

I did indeed read your post and I know that you said that it is what scholars say but why would you state that particular opinion of the scholars in mention if you didn't believe it on some level? So although they are not your words/original ideas reiterating those opinions means that you agree otherwise it would have been useless to say. Just to clear that up, but no hard feelings or anything. I completely agree that we should wait for the sister's reponse before continuing with our advice/opinions though.

Ma'salaam

A Kashmiri

I have a simple example.

When one is in school/college and one has to write exams.

A question paper may have three sections, A , B ,C

Examiner had written : All questions in section A to be answered, 3 questions out of Section B & C to be answered.

For a student appearing in an exam may not understand why it is like that and he is free to reason it out with himself, however if he believes that he needs to pass this test to go to the next class and come out successful , he has to do it.

Well for sure the Examiner would have a valid reason why he has put the question paper in that way, which we may be able to understand or not.

Alhamdullilah Allah encourages us to think as clearly stated in many verses of quran, however to fully understand the reasons behind everything is almost impossible as our brain is nothing compared to the knowledge of Allah, The Allmighty God who created us.

It would be much better if you could clearly tell your doubts on, as i believe inshallah in islam everything has a reason which islam asks or forbids to do.

Masallama

TiLKi

Local Stranger
Hello brothers, I am sorry for late respond. I couldnt log in to website. Thank you for all replies.

I would like to say that I believe all things and I would do what Islam wants me to do from me as much as I can do. and will it be the same sawap if I do sth when I dont feel it? For example if I dont feel to fast inside me and I fast as an obligation, does it be ok? Wouldnt it be like forcing myself without any feeling?

I am Muslim, I believe in Allah and his prohet Mohammed(saw). I am ok about fasting for sure. It was only example. I can pray, I can wake up at 5 o'clock and pray. These are not difficult. I already do these. These are big and important things in islam. Generally I can understand reasons of rules. Islam has a big system of humanity. Everything for human is in Islam already. But there are something which I don't understand. I will ask you them when I remember.

Also what should we do in society? I am prohibited for many things in society such as going out, talking with men, shaking hands with men and so. We live in a different age than ages before. We should interact people, we go to schools, we work... How does it go on with women?

TiLK

Yesterday I have discussed this issue with my Christian catholics friend. I consider him to be kind of educated in his religion and I hope that what he told me may be useful for us. I hope I can say it correctly.

First I should say that there is a couple of rules (in fact its a book) in Catholicism, which are obligatory for every catholic. And so my question was, what one true catholic should do, if he simply disagree with one of these rules. He told to me, that the direction Im looking at this is not correct. He said that the goal is not to do all these rules, but to understand their goodness for people and to keep them because they are good. It means not to keep them cause them self but to keep them to do goodness. They are not the goal, they are the way. He told to me: When I will have a son, I will not try to make him to be a good person, I will try to make him to be a good person out his own will.

I dont know if you are interested how this issue is understood in Catholicism. But I hope yes. I believe its always good to compare and after all I believe that Christianity and Islam are not that different in fact. I believe that the biggest difference is made by people :(