I Need Help Figuring This Out..

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2: Brothers & Sisters...

I live in the u.s. and I am strongly considering transferring to a college out of state..but I wish to go to a state where there is an established Muslim community..meaning that there is a big Muslim minority/community in the area..

I would like those of you who live in such areas..go to school there..and/or know of them to tell me information such as..the city..the state..the college...things of that nature..

I can look for that myself..but I would like to hear from people..google.com just doesn't cut it for me if you know what i mean..

I really do appreciate all and any information any of you will provide..

and of course..jazakom allah every khair!

:wasalam:

dianek

Hey! How are you? I can tell you that there is a decent sized muslim student association at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) and I KNOW there is a HUGE muslim community in Northern VA......colleges there George Mason University, Mary Washington University and not sure how far away from there is James Madison University........And ofcourse there is always schools in Maryland around the belt line which are convienient to NOVA.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Hey! How are you? I can tell you that there is a decent sized muslim student association at VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) and I KNOW there is a HUGE muslim community in Northern VA......colleges there George Mason University, Mary Washington University and not sure how far away from there is James Madison University........And ofcourse there is always schools in Maryland around the belt line which are convienient to NOVA.

Hi!..i'm very good..alhamduliallah
how about you?

a super thanks goes to you for these infos..

specific names are always helpful..very nice!
i really really really appreciate it!..

going onto the internet and just searching...can get so hectic..it almost makes you want to give up going into college altogether

but i got a question...is there a specific city in VA that would have the most Muslims?..do you know of any?..or is it just a general thing?

again...thanks a bunch :hijabi:

Salam

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
There is a very good community in Villa Park in Chicago suburbs ( Don't know abt the colleges close by) and also a in Santa Clara/ San Jose where san jose state and Santa clara state univs are close by.

I believe all the big cities have a descent Muslim population so you may want to go to the place where you can adjust quickly and easily.( I owuls also suggest Houston, Atlanta, Minnesota)

JAK

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum sister
I live in Wisconsin in a student city ,thats what they call it
there is big population of students at the University called UW of Wisconsin

There many muslim students as far as I know .we also have student assosiation there MSA (muslim students assosiation) and MashAllah its very active ,they always have some events in the University
We also have 3 Mosques in a city ...the city is small
But I think the biggest population of Muslims live in Dearborn Michigan .Very huge population I always want go to visit .they have halal food in many fast food paces ,even KFC and u can here athan in the city 5 times a day .This is from what I heared ,havent been there ,may be sombodyelse knows...
So something to think about the only problem here is a called weather :D

waaleikum salam

huda2

awesome!

thanks much!..this is going to put me on a start for sure :hijabi:

take care!

:salam2:

Hey sis, most of the big universities in the usa have big muslim community, but also it depends on the area u are going to, there are some schools u are barely see muslim student or I say not many but mostof them u will find many muslim students.

I will advice u check the schools, and the tution before u transfer to a different school as u will pay out of state tution which can be very expensive. I was transfer to different university and I paid out of state tution my first yr of that school which almost killed me. It was so expensive, so insha allah shop around.

heartbeat

Salam sister

I wish you all success in your studies.
I live in the washington dc metro politan area.
It is the home to one of the most established muslim communities.
Masjids are every where.
The DC area is the most educated metro politan area in the USA.
Living expenses are very high, but there are some of the best universities in the world.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
There is a very good community in Villa Park in Chicago suburbs ( Don't know abt the colleges close by) and also a in Santa Clara/ San Jose where san jose state and Santa clara state univs are close by.

I believe all the big cities have a descent Muslim population so you may want to go to the place where you can adjust quickly and easily.( I owuls also suggest Houston, Atlanta, Minnesota)

JAK

i agree with you on the big cities deal..but i live in a small town (225,000 people) and i don't want to go from that to a town the size of saaay...Chicago
nonetheless..the names you mentioned are new to me..definitely worth checking out!

jazak allah khair

salam aleikum sister

There many muslim students as far as I know .we also have student assosiation there MSA (muslim students assosiation) and MashAllah its very active ,they always have some events in the University
But I think the biggest population of Muslims live in Dearborn Michigan .Very huge population I always want go to visit .they have halal food in many fast food paces ,even KFC and u can here athan in the city 5 times a day .This is from what I heared ,havent been there ,may be sombodyelse knows...

waaleikum salam

interesting..MSA's are always a good hint for the presence of a muslim community..the student city thing is sure something good to keep in mind..for ease of transportation and what not..as for the weather...it gets very cold and snowy here..so i guess i can adjust..but it would be nice to get away from it :D
and about dearborn..they do have a huge community..but i heard that it's mostly Shiite
..is that true?..does anyone know?

i would go just to hear athan live..i haven't heard it in 9 years :(

baraka allaho feeki for your pointers

Hey sis, most of the big universities in the usa have big muslim community, but also it depends on the area u are going to, there are some schools u are barely see muslim student or I say not many but mostof them u will find many muslim students.

I will advice u check the schools, and the tution before u transfer to a different school as u will pay out of state tution which can be very expensive. I was transfer to different university and I paid out of state tution my first yr of that school which almost killed me. It was so expensive, so insha allah shop around.

very true indeed..but i major in *international relations and minor in education*..i need a university where i can get a good experience in school and in everyday life..so i guess it can be worth it right?

jazaki allah every khair

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out! :hijabi:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I wish you all success in your studies.
I live in the washington dc metro politan area.
It is the home to one of the most established muslim communities.
Masjids are every where.
The DC area is the most educated metro politan area in the USA.
Living expenses are very high, but there are some of the best universities in the world.

aaawwwww.....thank you for your dua'a
i have actually seen pictures of a mosque there..and mashallah..it looks like Muslims have really established themselves there..
like i said earlier..money shouldn't be an issue..if i'm seeking an experience that would last me for a lifetime..

baraka allaho feek/feeki for your recommendation

Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu/Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
Sister Daniek Is Correct,I Live 5-10 Minutes Away From George Mason University ,And Go Play Soccer There Often With So Many Other Muslims ,Mashallah We Do Have A Big Muslim Community Here In Northern Virginia.^_^One More Thing I Need To Be Thankful For.
Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

how lucky you are!..mashallah!..i will make sure that i look into it..like i said..
i heard there is a new mosque that was opened not too long ago..that is absolutely beautiful..too bad i can't remember the city..but my friend was raving about it for months after seeing it (she has relatives who live around there)..

jazaka allaho kol khair brother!

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

I study in Baton Rouge at Louisiana State University. Our community is average. We have three masjids. Supposively we have 3000 Muslims in our community.

The college students are pretty active when it comes to masjid activities.

The university is Muslim friendly. We have had Muslims write for our school paper and etc.

The living prices are decent and the masjid here is really nice finding apts. for out of state Muslims.

The out of state tuition though is around 10 thousand dollars.

It really just depends what field you want to go into. We have a really good engineering program, art, foreign language..etc

Insha Allah you will find the university you are seeking :D

Also temperature is a big factor. Do you like the hot/humid weather (like here), mild, or cool and rainy like Seattle :D

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I study in Baton Rouge at Louisiana State University. Our community is average. We have three masjids. Supposively we have 3000 Muslims in our community.

The college students are pretty active when it comes to masjid activities.

The university is Muslim friendly. We have had Muslims write for our school paper and etc.

The living prices are decent and the masjid here is really nice finding apts. for out of state Muslims.

The out of state tuition though is around 10 thousand dollars.

It really just depends what field you want to go into. We have a really good engineering program, art, foreign language..etc

Insha Allah you will find the university you are seeking :D

Also temperature is a big factor. Do you like the hot/humid weather (like here), mild, or cool and rainy like Seattle :D

this is so weird..but so many things you mentioned we have in common..

our muslim community is about 3,000 in number too..however they are not very established..and they're not the kind of muslims you would want to be around..for many reasons..

and believe it or not..$10,000 is the *in-state* tuition for *our* university..that shocked me!..and i will be in a political science program (for the most part)

as for the weather..i don't know if you'd been to Nebraska..or know anyone from here..the weather here is horrible...and crazy at that..it's hot and humid in the summer..cold and snowy in winter..and it can go from nice and warm..to cloudy and windy within minutes..
sometimes....it super-rains....even though it's super-shiny..and you don't see a single cloud..it's so weird!

thanks so much sister!...i really appreciate this

wa alaikum assalam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Wa Alaykum Asaalamu Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu/Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu
Yeah Its Called The Shirley Gate Masjid,I Just Went There To Pray Isha Today,Really Beautiful Indeed,But Its Still Under Construction,I Mean The Islamic Schooling Part.
Asaalamu Alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu

finally!

i find out the name of that *beautiful mystery* mosque..hehe
who knows..maybe someday i will pray a prayer there

baraka allaho feek brother

wa alaikum assalam

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq

LOL. No I have never been to Nebraska.

The weather here is unpredictable during the winter. Like this week we had really cold weather and then the next day we had hot weather lol. We cannot win :p

The tuition is 10k for out of state. I pay about 3500 for each semester. I pay 250 for rent with everything included, but I have a roommate also.

Our community is very active actually alhamdullilah.

We have lots and lots of coffee shops lol..good shopping. The people who built the Mall of America built our mall here.

Unfortunately we have only like 3 shops here that have halaal meat and one eatery that is halaal, but they have the best lamb ever!

okies enough typing.

Oh we have a good political science department here and international studies. What area of politics do you wish to study? International or American?

muharram23

Staff member
salam aleikum sister

waaleikum salam

Salamu alaykum sister

ive heard that dearborn has a big shiah population. Any ideas ? :SMILY288:

wassalamu alaykum

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

LOL. No I have never been to Nebraska.

The weather here is unpredictable during the winter. Like this week we had really cold weather and then the next day we had hot weather lol. We cannot win :p

The tuition is 10k for out of state. I pay about 3500 for each semester. I pay 250 for rent with everything included, but I have a roommate also.

Our community is very active actually alhamdullilah.

We have lots and lots of coffee shops lol..good shopping. The people who built the Mall of America built our mall here.

Unfortunately we have only like 3 shops here that have halaal meat and one eatery that is halaal, but they have the best lamb ever!

okies enough typing.

Oh we have a good political science department here and international studies. What area of politics do you wish to study? International or American?

yeah!..nebraska..the cornhusker state..where cows outnumber people (i mentioned this in another post..and it really is true)..
well things like halal food and what not can be worked around..and it sounds like it's not too awfully expensive..$250 would be the average rent expense for an apartment if you have a roommate..but it would be a VERY nice apartment..is that true for your area?
and i guess my politics would be international..since my specialization will be the middle-east and north africa (go figure!)..so if they have that..it would be super!

btw..i cracked up when i read your weather..we go through this so much here..we would be shocked if we get steady weather for an entire day..hehe

Salamu alaykum sister

ive heard that dearborn has a big shiah population. Any ideas ? :SMILY288:

wassalamu alaykum

that's what i wondered about too..i heard that it's mostly a Shiite community..and i do believe that..cuz for one thing..the majority of *our* community is Shiite..and when they want to move to another state...guess where they head?
michigan!
so i would actually like to know too..
if anybody knows for sure..please let us know

Southrn_Muslimah

bnqɯnɥ 'ɥɐq
yeah!..nebraska..the cornhusker state..where cows outnumber people (i mentioned this in another post..and it really is true)..
well things like halal food and what not can be worked around..and it sounds like it's not too awfully expensive..$250 would be the average rent expense for an apartment if you have a roommate..but it would be a VERY nice apartment..is that true for your area?
and i guess my politics would be international..since my specialization will be the middle-east and north africa (go figure!)..so if they have that..it would be super!

btw..i cracked up when i read your weather..we go through this so much here..we would be shocked if we get steady weather for an entire day..hehe

Now since the whole 9/11 incident and the Iraq war our university is incorporating many classes about Islam and politics of the Middle East.

We have an Arabic program here also. It is trying to expand but that takes money and lots of paperwork lol. The professor is from Tunisia.

Hmmm we have lots of cows here too LOL. If you travel outside the city limits, you can find your beautiful cows lol. We have about 700k here now since the hurricane.

Our Shi'a community is small here but very nice people alhamdullilah. They do not come to the masjid because of the harshness they receive.The community is majority Sunni.

Oh we also have an Islamic school here that goes up to 12th grade. Majority of the students who graduate go to college.

We have a gabillion programs lol. An Arabic halaqah for the Arab ladies, English halaqah. Tajweed etc. Youth group classes. They just recently formed a class for reverts. Phew I can go on :p

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

Now since the whole 9/11 incident and the Iraq war our university is incorporating many classes about Islam and politics of the Middle East.

We have an Arabic program here also. It is trying to expand but that takes money and lots of paperwork lol. The professor is from Tunisia.

Hmmm we have lots of cows here too LOL. If you travel outside the city limits, you can find your beautiful cows lol. We have about 700k here now since the hurricane.

Our Shi'a community is small here but very nice people alhamdullilah. They do not come to the masjid because of the harshness they receive.The community is majority Sunni.

Oh we also have an Islamic school here that goes up to 12th grade. Majority of the students who graduate go to college.

We have a gabillion programs lol. An Arabic halaqah for the Arab ladies, English halaqah. Tajweed etc. Youth group classes. They just recently formed a class for reverts. Phew I can go on :p

LOL...good thing y'll got cows too..if i were to come..then remembering home would be a drive to the city limits..hehe

i actually need 4 years of a foreign language as a requirement..if they get an arabic program..it will be a plus..though Arabic won't be foreign to me..lol..but i would like to work on my grammar when it comes to writing and reading in classical Arabic..i struggle with that a lot..and it affects my understanding :(

and the Shiites here are *very* prejudice against sunnis..in their school..they tell their kids that they're the only ones going to heaven..and that they can't even eat or drink from us (sunnis) cuz we're impure..and they believe and practice that! (i've had personal experiences)..they flat-out..HATE sunnis..so i don't want to be around that for sure!..

your community sounds to be really involved and active..mashallah..i'm very impressed..and that's something i'm actually looking for..hhhmmmm..it would be the funniest thing if a few months from now..i show up at a halaqa or a community event..and find you there..lol

wow..i knew i wouldn't be disappointed to post my concern here..i am getting so many valuable information..it's making me want to transfer to a different college every semester of the year..lol

JAZAKOM ALLAHO KHAIRAN Brothers & Sisters!
Wallahi you all are the best!