I stood up to my family...now what?

Sakeena

Asalam alaikum respected brothers and sisters in Islam!

Yes! I just stood up to my family! Alhamdulilah. I feel so free! I will no longer allow them to oppress me! This is the United States. It's my birthright to practice whatever religion I want. I chose Islam. I am free from the chains of darkness. I can see the precious light of Islam. I told my granddad this morning that I'm going to babysit for my friend Naimah. I've been the two girls' nanny since January.

Mom met sister Naimah and Zuri and the kids Tuesday. Mom smiled at Naimah and Zuri and was nice to the kids. Later that night, mom called granddad and told him not to drop me off at Naimah's house to babysit because she's a Muslim. Granddad told me that. Mom won't admit it but I know that's what she's thinking.

Granddad insisted that I shouldn't go without my mom's permission. Rubbish! I'm 21 years old, I don't need anyone's permission to practice my religion, or do my job (nanny), and visit good friends. I'm not hurting anyone. I'm not doing anything illegal. This is oppression! They are controlling and domineering and I refuse to let them dictate how I'm going to life my life!

I asked my granddad if he hates me. I didn't understand why he was behaving like this. All this drama over me babysitting a Muslim woman's girls? Really? He told me that the Muslims are causing so much trouble in the world and that I shouldn't be hanging with them. If he took a moment to listen to me, he'd realize that I'm a bright girl and I'm perfectly capable of making my own decisions without permission. He didn't believe me when I told him I'm a nanny (or at least he pretended like he didn't).

I told my granddad that I love Naimah no matter her religion. She's a wonderful person. I told him that I'll always love my family no matter their religion. Why can't they do the same for me?

I told my granddad that I'm going to go with Naimah and babysit for her, soo he told me that he will have my cell phone cut off. More rubbish. I told him I'll just get another phone.

I'm so happy this happened. Whenever I look back on the Royal Wedding years from now, I'll remember the day I was liberated! Lol. Anyway, I may have to move out now. I can't go back home. I need some help. :(

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
tell your Grandfather that the money that the Muslims are paying you is also green. i often think of how foolish some people were about 50 years ago in America. denying blacks hotel room, places to eat etc. the racists had they been smarter they would've said: yeah they may be black, but their money's still green!!! how much wealthier they would've been had they not been so proud and arrogant?

Sakeena

tell your Grandfather that the money that the Muslims are paying you is also green. i often think of how foolish some people were about 50 years ago in America. denying blacks hotel room, places to eat etc. the racists had they been smarter they would've said: yeah they may be black, but their money's still green!!! how much wealthier they would've been had they not been so proud and arrogant?

I may have to move out becuase I can't live like this anymore! :mad:

Sakeena

uh huh

Wow. He cut off my cell phone. :girl3: This is nuts! It is a test, and it won't last forever. I'm not very happy about this at all.

ShyHijabi

:salam2:

Yeah I think it's time to move out. I was on my own at age 17 and while it was difficult it was the only viable option for me. You've been very patient with your family but the continuous pressure to separate you from your deen is unacceptable. Congrats on standing up to them, you are in my duas.

Sakeena

Yeah I think it's time to move out. I was on my own at age 17 and while it was difficult it was the only viable option for me. You've been very patient with your family but the continuous pressure to separate you from your deen is unacceptable. Congrats on standing up to them, you are in my duas.

Thanks ShyHijabi. I accept what Allah (swt) has written for me. I'm surprisingly happy and excited. :D I know I'll be just fine InshaAllah. I'm a bit nervous, but Alhamdulilah! :hijabi:

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I have to be honest, I'm worried for you. Even though you are a Nanny, it's not really a stable job...I would also be seriously wondering where to go.

Can you get your own apartment or even a weekly paid hotel?
A shelter?
Would this Muslimah employer be open to let you live there until you get on your feet?

Insha'Allah things will work out for you whatever road you take.

Kakorot

I'd say before you make a decision on whether to move or not, do istikhara and see how it goes.

All the best sis.

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
congratulations for your decision.you're in my prayers.be strong,now you're facing to the real life,maybe you'll fall to the ground,but Allah will raise you up.at first maybe your parents will be disappointed with you,but they'll understand that you grew up and they should let you go as you are.in sh Allah,let pass some time,your parents will look you with the eyes of a woman,not more a young girl,and your hijab too,will be not a problem for them.when I left my home I was 21,my parents were really disppointed,because they were caught by surprise and couldn't stop me.I was oppressed and need to fly away.I can assure that after my leaving they learnt to apperciate me more than I was at home.May Allah be with you in your steps
:tti_sister::wasalam:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
assalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh dear sister Sakeena

You are in my Du'as inshaAllah. I still remember the time your parents found that you became Muslim, and taken away your rights. Even stopped you from using TTI. I still remember. Sister be strong in your way.

As the other brother said, I also would like to tell you to do Istikhara before making any further step.

May Allah keep u safe.

wassalam 'alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

muslimshabs

asalamu alaikum sister....

May Allah(SWT) protect u and guide you in your life of this world...

aameen!!!

You are always in my duas inshallah...:)

salamu alaikum...

msmoorad

mommys boy
Amin. Naimah said I can move in after she buys a bigger house InshaAllah. :tti_sister:

salaams to all

just for now- if u feel that you wont be able to live with your family & practice your deen, go to your local musjid & explain to the imam or any responsible sisters etc about your situation.
insha allah they will know of someone who would be able to give you a job and even know of any sisters who need a roommate.
try it, insha allah it will work out.

and Allah ta'ala knows best
jazakallah

masihuddin

Remember the copanions R.A. ofvthe holy Prophet S.A.S. who suffered severe oppression
from thier families for following the religion of Islam but remained steadfast Allah rewards immensely those who stand steadfast

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alaykkum assalaam
may Allah bring much good to you for this trial you are in. contact Local masjid as brother msmoorad said. you are in my du'aa. be strong sister.

wa salaam.