i'm afraid to lead prayer

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

there are few muslim brothers at my job that aren't as knowledgable about islam as myself. they do like to talk about islam when i bring it up. they're really only muslim in name and heritage, but lately their hearts are opening up to islam. well, i make salat at work but they do not; yet after i;m done they say why didn't you tell us that you were going to perform salat? we would've prayed with you. i didn't want to tell them that i hadn't because i've never seen them pray. but when they asked me, they looked genuine. they seem to look up to me on matters of islam.

but there's one problem:

i'm terribly afraid to lead a salat. i've always been. i'm afraid i'm going to mess up. i want to invite them to salat and lead the prayer but i'm so nervous, and i'm afraid to tell them. what do i do?

muhavere

Don't be afraid my dear brother, keep always in your mind that there is no shyness in religion matters like doing dawa, praying in places where people can see you, asking permission to be able to perform a religious duty, reciting the Holy Quran publicly, proclaiming your muslim-identity, giving islamic advice to those in need of it, pointing unjustice and wrongdoing and in your case leading a prayer. It is a mentality change you have to go through, if it is a good thing 'just' see the performing of it by you unavoidable, that you must do it, think about the general benefit which it will produce, think of the other brave men who handle this kind of tasks with the biggest ease and you will gradually improve. After that, each time you get confronted with that duty you will only think about the good sides of it and the bad thoughts, which were in the beginning very dominating, will become small, harmless and eventually vanish. That's because you were always focusing on trivializing them and Allah has giving you succes in it. Also do not bother with the fact that you will show signs of uncertainty, anxiety, panic and fear while performing the duty. Because I think in that lies our biggest fear; to be seen as you don't want to be seen and known.

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
Don't be afraid my dear brother, keep always in your mind that there is no shyness in religion matters like doing dawa, praying in places where people can see you, asking permission to be able to perform a religious duty, reciting the Holy Quran publicly, proclaiming your muslim-identity, giving islamic advice to those in need of it, pointing unjustice and wrongdoing and in your case leading a prayer. It is a mentality change you have to go through, if it is a good thing 'just' see the performing of it by you unavoidable, that you must do it, think about the general benefit which it will produce, think of the other brave men who handle this kind of tasks with the biggest ease and you will gradually improve. After that, each time you get confronted with that duty you will only think about the good sides of it and the bad thoughts, which were in the beginning very dominating, will become small, harmless and eventually vanish. That's because you were always focusing on trivializing them and Allah has giving you succes in it. Also do not bother with the fact that you will show signs of uncertainty, anxiety, panic and fear while performing the duty. Because I think in that lies our biggest fear; to be seen as you don't want to be seen and known.

thank you so much for your advice. what's weird is that i'm not shy with people or i can get on stage and do a talk, but why someting as simple as leading salat scares me, is beyond my comprehension. inshallah i'll be able to do this.

wannabe_muttaqi

A MUSLIM BROTHER
ASAK Bro,
watever you do is for the sake of ALLAH SWT, so he understands you better than you do. bro you are getting a chance to make jamaa' in your prayers ALHAMDULILLAH thats a very good thing. Have faith in ALLAH SWT and give it your best...infact thats all you can do.

Some people might see you people praying and may be interested in ISLAM and infact you might knowingly or unknowingly open doors of ISLAM to your other collegues. Don't leave a single stone unturned when it comes to betterment of your faith.

JAK

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
ASAK Bro,
watever you do is for the sake of ALLAH SWT, so he understands you better than you do. bro you are getting a chance to make jamaa' in your prayers ALHAMDULILLAH thats a very good thing. Have faith in ALLAH SWT and give it your best...infact thats all you can do.

Some people might see you people praying and may be interested in ISLAM and infact you might knowingly or unknowingly open doors of ISLAM to your other collegues. Don't leave a single stone unturned when it comes to betterment of your faith.

JAK

thank you. i was thinking of the same thing because there are many people at my workplace that do not know anything about islam. there is the possibility that someone may become curious and ask about islam. and who knows? maybe after the talk inshallah that person may consider saying shahadah.

justoneofmillion

thank you. i was thinking of the same thing because there are many people at my workplace that do not know anything about islam. there is the possibility that someone may become curious and ask about islam. and who knows? maybe after the talk inshallah that person may consider saying shahadah.
assalam,did you give the salams brother haha :wink: