I'm not lying, I'm only joking

islamisthesolution

:salam2:

so whats the difference between lying and joking ?

sometimes jokes are nothing but lies so how cant we mix between them both ?

just a thought comes to my head now . hope someone helps.

mhamzah

Does this helps?

Etiquette of Joking

Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said to his companion Hanzala, who thought that life should be free from fun and entertainment and that he committed hypocrisy when he played and jested with his wife and children: “But, Hanzala, refresh your heart from time to time.” (Muslim). Here the Holy Prophet explained to the man that permissible fun and self-refreshment is desirable for the human soul to regain its activity and liveliness. He peace and pleassings of allah be upon him, also taught them the rules of conduct as regards to joking, when asked about his joking with them, by saying which meaning of is translated as: “Yes, but I speak truthfully.” (Tirmidhi).

Once an old woman came to him and said: O Messenger of Allah, pray to Allah for me to be admitted into Paradise. He peace and pleassings of allah be upon him, said which meaning of is translated as: “No old woman will be admitted into Paradise.”. On hearing this she went away crying. He said: “Tell her that she won't be an old woman when she goes into Paradise.”. Allah, the Exalted, says which meaning of is translated as: “Lo! We have created them a (new) creation and made them virgins, lovers, friends.” (The Qur'aan, Chapter Al-Qamar, 54:35-37).

A joke should not involve any hurt or insult to any Muslim. Allah's Messenger peace and pleassings of allah be upon him, said which meaning of is translated as: “No Muslim is allowed to scare another Muslim.” (Abu Dawood). He also said: “Nobody should take (Muslim) brother's belongings.” (Abu Dawood and Tirmidhi).

Joking should not drive a Muslim to lie in order to make others laugh, as understood from the Prophet's peace and pleassings of allah be upon him, words which meaning of is translated as: “Woe to him who lies when speaking to make people laugh. Woe to him! Woe to him!”.

Not scaring people

Especially those who are very energetic or strong, or who are holding a weapon or a piece of iron, or who take advantage of the darkness and people’s weakness to use that as a means of scaring and alarming them. It was narrated that Abu Layla said: “The companions of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that they were travelling with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and a man among them fell asleep. Some of them got a rope and tied him up, and he got scared. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘It is not permissible for a Muslim to frighten another Muslim.’” (Narrated by Abu Dawood).

Mocking people by winking behind their backs or making snide remarks

People vary in their ability to understand things and in their characters. Some weak people, those who like to make fun of others and wink behind their backs or make snide remarks, may find a person to be an object of fun for them and the butt of their jokes – Allaah forbid. Allaah has forbidden such behaviour in the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former. Nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it to insult one’s brother after having Faith” [49:11]

Ibn Katheer said in his Tafseer: “What is meant here is looking down on them, belittling them or making fun of them. This is haraam and is counted as one of the characteristics of the hypocrites.”

Some people make fun of a person’s appearance, manner of walking or vehicle. But there is the fear that Allaah may requite the one who makes fun of others because of that. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Do not express malicious joy towards your brother’s misfortune, for Allaah may have mercy on him and you may be stricken by the thing you made fun of.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned against mocking people and hurting their feelings, because that is the path that leads to hatred and grudges. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Muslim is the brother of another Muslim, he does not wrong him, let him down or look down upon him. Taqwa (piety, awareness and fear of Allaah) is here” – and he pointed to his chest three times – “It is sufficient evil for a man to look down upon his Muslim brother. Every Muslim is sacred to another Muslim, his blood, his property and his honour.” (Narrated by Muslim)

:wasalam:

Muslimah16

ServantOfAllah*
“Woe to him who lies when speaking to make people laugh. Woe to him! Woe to him!”.

Seriously? Allah..... thats what i end up doing :(
Ya Allah .. please forgive me..

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Very good questions and fantastic answers are given here, jazakAllah khair for sharing. Indeed, our intention maybe to crack a joke but when this being watched by the kids it may direct/indirectly influence them lying is alright when joking. What a great reminder mashAllah.

Toya23

Thank you

Wow, its so true when they say you learn so many new things everyday as a Muslim. I never considered that question before but thank you for putting it out there. It was very helpful and a big eye opener. I see now that I need to work on my jokes so that they are not harram.
May Allah bless you for this.

islamisthesolution

you are welcome

and thank you guys all of you for helping that is really beneficial and apparently it is for everybody .

thats a serious issue so jazakom Allahu khyran for helping