Important Questions...

assyuara

Assalamualaikum my dear brothers and sisters.

I have 2 questions in mind:

1) From what I've learnt, Riba' means adding or something extra. But am i right to say that not all which has an extra charge is considered riba'. Could you give me examples on a situation of Riba' and a situation which it's not considered riba' although there's an extra charge?

2) Secondly, I would like to ask your opinions on shaking hands among guys and ladies. I'm not referring to shaking hands in public but living in a Muslim minority, the non-Muslims will want to shake hands with us in situation where receiving a certificate, going for a job interview and so on. Should we just say sorry, in Islam we can't do this because it is a form of modesty. Or write in an article in a newspaper read by the non-Muslims to make them aware (a suggestion from my ustaz)..or..?

Thanks thanks for replying. May Allah always protect our hearts and minds against evil and whispers of shaithaan. Amiin. =)
Wasalaam,
Aisyah. :blackhijab:

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2: dear sister in Islam

Before saying anything, I wanna say that I am not an 'Ulama. I will just try to provide a simple explanation.

As per your Question number 1, Islamic concept of Murabaha is an example where the sum to pay for the Bank or Financial Institution that you got the service is more (extra money). However, it is totally allowed in the Islamic Sharee'ah.

For the second Question, I would like to say from what I have known from Sheikhs and from my own experience. Hand shaking between men and women (given that they are not mahrams) is Haram in Islam. There is no way we can make it Halal. Rasoolullah (saw) never hand shaked with a non-mahram woman. In the khilaafah of Umar (ra), many tribes and groups came to get the protection and peace of the Islamic Khilaafah. There were groupes of men and women. When men came to make agreements, he (ra) hand shakes with them, but when women came for the same purpose, he (ra) never handshaked with them but lifted his hand towards them as a sign of giving protection and peace from muslims. Hand shaking cannot be done with gloves also.

As a part of my job, I have to meet different people from different companies and organisations. This hand shaking problem has occured to me several times. When I went for a meeting with two young ladies of a company, along with my Manager, one of them offered to handshake. Suddenly I remembered what Islam says about it. I just shaked my both hands instead of shaking with her :lol:. Then she said, "sorry, you dont shake hands right?". I just said yes by "sign language" and kept quite. There were many staff members staring at me like I am a just now made Pizza to eat. After entering the meeting room, another one came and offered to handshake. I just said Wa'Alaikumussalam. When we came out from the meeting, a guy came out to the road to see the "Alien" who just exit from his office. However, I knew that it has happened because they did not know right from wrong. But they are all "muslims". Believe me I was having a very different feeling the whole day. I was not sad to send their hands back, but happy because I felt a feeling that I am on the starting point of the true belief. MashaALLAH.

Oooops it became too long. Sorry sister. But hope this helps you and other brothers and sisters also.

wassalam

-brother IbnAdam-

assyuara

Assalamualaikum.

To Bro ChechenMaga: Really thank you for ur links. They are very useful and provides me info that I need. :)

To Bro Abdul Musa'ir: Thanks. Ive understood what uve said. I’m learning abt transaction in Islam (jual beli in Malay) which includes Salaam. Altough I find this topic (transaction in Islam) a bit erm difficult to understand insha Allah I will clear my doubts via asking my ustaz and anyone who’s willing to share their knowledge. :)

To Bro IbnAdam: Bro, thanks for willing to share ur personal experiences. That’s wonderful I mean it’s not easy to do what uve done (not shaking hands to those who offered). Although I find it quite funny hee esp shaking ur own hands. :lol: But insha Allah bro, you’ll get protection from Allah by doing all that for Him. :)

This what ive found for my 2nd qn:
There is no doubt that for a man to touch a non-mahram woman is one of the causes of fitnah (turmoil, temptation), provocation of desire and committing haraam deeds. No one should say that their intention is sound or their heart is clean, because the one who was the purest of heart and the most chaste of all, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never touched a non-mahram woman, even when accepting bay’ah (oath of allegiance) from women.
Among the evidence for this is the hadeeth of Ma’qal ibn Yassaar (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘If one of you were to be struck in the head with an iron needle, it would be better for him than if he were to touch a woman he is not allowed to.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5045).
Some Muslims feel too embarrassed to refuse when a woman offers her hand to them. In addition to mixing with women, some of them claim that they are forced to shake hands with fellow-students and teachers in schools and universities, or with colleagues in the workplace, or in business meetings and so on, but this is not an acceptable excuse. The Muslim should overcome his own feelings and the promptings of the Shaytaan, and be strong in his faith, because Allaah is not ashamed of the truth.

May Allah leads our hearts to be closer to HIM. Amiin.
Wasalaam,
Aisyah. :blackhijab:

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Question: "Can a woman shake hands with a man?"

I would like to answer on the ruling on a man shaking hands with a woman, and the views of the four imams and the majority of scholars.
Answer :
Shaking hands (and touching) members of the opposite gendre when not related, is not permissable for Muslims according to the teachings of Islam.
First: It is not allowed for a believing man to put his hand in the hand of a woman who is not allowed for him (mother, wife, sister, daughter, etc.). Whoever does this has wronged himself (sinned).
There is a hadeeth (narration of an event) from Ma'qil ibn Yassar, saying; The prophet, peace be upon him said, "It is better for you to be stabbed in the head with an iron needle than to touch the hand of a woman who is to permissible to you."
[At-Tabarani in "Al Kabir, #486. Shaikh Albani said in Sahih al-Jaami' it is sahih #5045]
This alone should be enough to keep away from this action and to instill obedience to Allah, as it implies touching women may lead to temptation and immorality.
Ayesha, the wife of the prophet, peace be upon him, said: 'When the believing women migrated (to Medina) and came to the prophet, peace be upon him, they would be examined in accordance with the words of Allah (in Quran):
"O Prophet! When believing women come to you to give you the bai'a (pledge of allegience), that they will not associate anything in worship with Allah, that they will not steal, that they will not commit illegal sexual intercourse, that they will not kill their children, that they will not utter slander, intentionally forging falsehood (i.e. by making illegal children belonging to their husbands), and that they will not disobey you in any Ma'ruf (Islamic Monotheism and all that which Islam ordains) then accept their bai'a (pledge of allegience), and ask Allah to forgive them, Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful". [Al Mumtahinah 60:12]
Any of the believing women who accepted the conditions of the verse and agreed to live by them were considered to have offered themselves for giving their oaths of allegiance. When they declared their committment to do so, the prophet, peace be upon him, would say to them, "You may go. I have confirmed your allegiance."
I swear by Allah, the prophet's hand never touched the hand of a woman. He would receive their oath of allegiance by spoken declaration. I swear by Allah, the prophet, peace be upon him, never took any vow from women except what Allah had ordered him to take and his palm never touched the palm of a woman. When he had taken their pledge, he would tell them he had taken their oath from them orally.
(Sahih Al Muslim Book on Government, Hadtih #4602)

Ayesha said: 'Any of the believing women who agreed to that had passed the test, and when the women agreed, the prophet, peace be upon him, said to them: 'Go, for you have given your oath of allegiance.'
"No. (I swear) by Allah, the hand of the prophet, peace be upon him, never touched the hand of any woman; instead they would give their oath of allegiance with words only."
And Ayesha said: 'By Allah, the prophet, peace be upon him, only took the oath of allegiance from the women in the manner prescribed by Allah, and the hand of the prophet, peace be upon him, never touched the hand of any woman. When he had received their oath of loyalty and allegiance he would say, 'I have accepted your oath of allegiance verbally."
[Sahih Muslim, #1866]

(The prophet of Allah, peace be upon him) did not touch women who were not permissible (shaking hands, etc.). This despite the fact the oath of allegiance was orginally given by hand. So what about these other men (going around shaking hands)?
Umaymah bint Raqeeqah said: 'The prophet, peace be upon him, said, "I do not shake hands with women (not permissible to touch)."
[An-Nasaai, #4181 and Ibn Majah, #2874; Albani declared it sahih; Al Jami, #2513]
Second:
It's not permissable to shake hands even with a barrier (such as a garment) in between. There is an unacceptable narration (da'eef; not authentic) saying the prophet, peace be upon him, used to shake hands with women from beneath a garment. (see: At-Tabarani in Al-Awsat, #2855). Al Haythami said: 'This was narrated by At-Tabarani in Al Kabir and Al Awsat. The chain of narrators includes 'Atab ibn Harb, who is da'eef (weak in narrations).
[Majam' al-Zawad'id, 6/39]
Wali Ad-Din Al Iraqi said: 'The words of Ayesha, "He used to accept the women's oath by words only" means he did so without taking their hands or shaking hands with them. This indicates the bay'ah (oath) of men was accepted by shaking hands, as well as words, and this is how it was. What Ayesha mentioned was the custom.'
Some mufassireen (type of scholar) mentioned prophet, peace be upon him, asked for a vessel of water and dipped his hand in it, then the women dipped their hands in it. And some of them said he did not shake hands with them from behind a barrier and had a cloak from Qatar over his hand. And it was said 'Umar, may Allah accept from him, shook hands with them on his behalf.
None of these reports are true, especially the last one.
How could 'Umar, may Allah accept from him, have done something the prophet, peace be upon him, would not do?
[Tarh Al-Tathreeb, 7/45]
Shaikh Mohamed ibn Baz (Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabi, d. 1999), Allah's Mercy on him), said:
'The most correct view is this (shaking women's hands with something in between) is not allowed at all, because of the general meaning of the hadith, wherein the prohet, peace be upon him, said, "I do not shake hands with women (who are not related)" in order to avoid the way leading to evil.
[Adapted from Hashiyat Majmoo'at Rasal'il fil Hijab wa Sufor, p. 69]
Third:
The same rule applies to shaking hands with older women; it is also forbidden due to the general meaning of the texts on the issue. The reports saying it is permissible are weak (da'eef).
Al-Zayla'i said:
'As for the report saying Abu Bakr used to shake hands with old women, it is ghareeb (strange in its chain of narrators, not acceptable in this case).
[Nasab Al-Rayah, 4/240]
Ibn Hajar said: 'I cannot find this hadeeth."
[Al-Dirayah fil Takhreej Al Hadith al-Hidayah, 2/225]
Fourth:
[We now list the opinions of the four schools of jurisprudence (mathabs)]:
With regard to the views of the four imams, they are as follows:

1 - Hanafiya (Abu Hanifa) The Hanafi madhhab:
Ibn Nujaym said: 'It is not permissible for a man to touch a woman's face or hands even when there's no risk of desire because it is haraam in principle and there is no necessity to allow it.'
[Al-Bahr al-Raa'iq, 8/219]

2 - Maliki (Imam Malik) The Maaliki madhhab:
Muhammad ibn Ahmad ('Ulaysh) said: 'It's not permissible for a man to touch the face or hand of a non-mahram woman (not related), and it is not permissilbe for him to his hand on hers without a barrier. Ayesha, may Allah be pleased with her, said: 'The prophet, peace be upon him, never accepted a woman's oath of allegiance by shaking hands with her; instead he would accept their oath of alleginace in words alone.'
According to another report: 'His hand never touched the hand of a woman, instead he would accept their oath of allegiance with words alone.'
[Manh Al-Jaleel Sharh Mukhtasar Khaleel, 1/223]
3 - Shafiy (Imam Muhammad ibn Idris Ash-Shafi) Shafi Mathab:
Imam Al-Nawawi (author of Al-Arba'een and Riyadus Salahin) said, "It is not permitted to touch a woman (not properly related) in any way.
[Al Majmoo' 4/515]
Wali A-Din Al-Iraqi said, 'This indicates the hand of the prophet, peace be upon him, did not touch the hand of any woman except for those permissible to him, whether in the case of accepting their oath of allegiance or in other cases. If he didn't do it in spite of the fact he was infallible and above suspicion, then it is even more essential for others to heed this prohibition. It appears from the texts he didn't do it because it was forbidden for him to do so.
The fuqaha (scholars of jurisprudence) among our companions and others say it is forbidden to touch a non-mahram (not properly related) woman even if it is touching any part of her body that is not a part of her 'awrah (private area between the navel and the knees), such as her face.
But their differences of opinon occured regarding looking (at them) when there is no desire and no fear of fitnah (serious calamity). The prohibition of touching is stronger even than the prohibition of looking, and it is forbidden when there is no necessity to allow it. In the case of necessity, such as medical treatment, removing a tooth or treating the eyes, if there is no woman available to do provide the treatment, then it is allowed for a man to do it because of the necessity.
[Tarh At-Tathreeb 7/45 #46]

4 - Hanbali (Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal) Hanbali Mathab
Ibn Muflih said about Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal, that he was asked about a man who shakes hands with a woman. His answer was, 'No' and it was emphatically forbidden. When he was asked about shaking hands having some cloth in between he said, 'No'.
Shaikh Taqiy ul-Din also held the view it was prohibited and gave the reason, touching is more serious than looking.
Al-Adaab al-Shari'ah, 2/257
And Allah knows best.

assyuara

Thanks sis Asja for providing the ans from the 4 madzhab. So, shaking hands between the non-mahram is not permitted and this will not change forever regardless of the situation that we are facing.

Wasalaam,
Aisyah.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Thanks sis Asja for providing the ans from the 4 madzhab. So, shaking hands between the non-mahram is not permitted and this will not change forever regardless of the situation that we are facing.

Wasalaam,
Aisyah.

:wasalam:

You are most welcome dear sister.

Alhamdulillah I am very glade that my post was usefull for you,Inshallah.

May Allah bless you.

Salam.

shichemlydia

answer

salam alikoum,
i will start with the second question, yes shaking hands vbetween men and women is haram in islam, and aysha (may allah be pleased with her) narrated that the hands of the prophet mohamed pbuoh never touched the hands of another woman except his wives of course.

for the first question, there is a famous cas which is widely used by banks to faulsen the people. the case deals with buying cars. the haram way used by banks consists of a deal between, the individual, the bank and the car owner. in this cas the bank receives money from the person without owning the car, and of course the person pays extra money for the car.

the second cas, i guess it is not in use right now, the deal is in between the bank and the individual, in this cas the bank must own the car and sells it following an agreed schedule of payment. in this cas the deal is like normal trading someone buys something and resells it for more.
and allah swt knows the best.
wa salam alikoum