Improper Masjid Behavior

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam Alaikum All,

So I experienced two interesting yet disturbing dilemmas at my local masjid yesterday and I need further clarification on them just to make sure I'm not (as my family members love to call me) going "extremist".

Firstly arises the question of fund-raising in a masjid. Are the imams allowed to be verbally aggressive and practically FORCE people into giving donations? Excluding physical measures of course, what I mean by force is yelling at everyone, degrading them, and delaying the prayers for almost an hour until the "goal" has been reached. Along with that, are they allowed to give a minute-by-minute account of how much money has been raised so far and how much more needs to be donated by the end of the night? I always believed that Allah hated those who beg and this was literal begging with an aggressive edge.

Secondly, are there any instances where a man is allowed to enter the women's section of the masjid? Because apparently, I'm being called an extremist for my "unnecessary outrage" when a male came into the women's section to collect the money. And I dont mean standing by the door or outside the room. I mean literally WALKING INTO THE ROOM designated for females only and literally walking between the rows of women to get to the other end of the room. Apparently, I was the only female who found offense at this.

I'm now on the verge of finding another masjid, therefore I just need to know if any of these actions are validated in Islam.

mohsofi_abdullah

salam shahnaaz,

I could find offense with the behaviour stated.
However, muslims are encouraged to be positivie thinkers until somebody is touched in a wrong way, or insulted with overwhelming pressure.

However, we are supposed to be apologetic and forgiving with others' behaviour. I'm not saying I would do it differently, but I'm pretty sure that I won't be offended, but merely taking a stance on what I think they did wrong...

Probably, i would approach the imam and the man to tone it down a little bit as to show mild approach towards matters at hands, and therefore, he will learn from his overacting. This could bring back some memories where there was this person who couldn't take it that I told him what he did wrong, and he then, started making enemies with me. Which is totally the opposite results of what I dreamed of. Boy o boy... we call ourselves muslims, but the moment our pride is put to test, our blood rages and our temper rises.

We, muslims, must stop to think all these before we even speak our mind, or do anything in response to others. We should learn to compromise personal opinion, but take a broader point of view as to what extenct such error, as we claimed it, could affect the morale of the people/society/nation.

Most of the time, silent majority don't even care bcoz they are not affected with the error of a man. So, many people have learned to ignore "errors" until it's too late, that it happens to him/her... Just like when the papers are saying negative things about certain race or religion, and we are nodding our heads in agreement to what the sentiment is all about, while we are not in the position to confirm to the incident that took place that triggered the news. We have become the hypocrites instead.

Be positive, and always shut it down on gossips and fitnah. InsyaAllah, the people around us, will learn too.

Regards

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum

Both points that you mentioned are obviously not allowed and you are not extremist.

The masjid that you attend probably belongs to a certain sect called Baryalawi or Barailwi. How to know them is very easy.

Their Imam must be wearing a green colored turban and on the front wall of the Masjid, they are mostly hanging "Yaa Allah" on the right and "Yaa Muhammad" on the left.

"Ya" means "O!" it is an interjection used for calling upon someone for help.
They don't follow the correct form of Tawheed and Aqidah of Islamic faith.

Unfortunately, they do alot of Bid'a and they are very zealous about their opinions and their sect.
I have been to such masjids in my area and what you mentioned goes on there too.

Wallahu Alam.

ScotsMuslim

Live for Allah and His Rasool (saw)
Assalamu alaikum

Both points that you mentioned are obviously not allowed and you are not extremist.

The masjid that you attend probably belongs to a certain sect called Baryalawi or Barailwi. How to know them is very easy.

Their Imam must be wearing a green colored turban and on the front wall of the Masjid, they are mostly hanging "Yaa Allah" on the right and "Yaa Muhammad" on the left.

"Ya" means "O!" it is an interjection used for calling upon someone for help.
They don't follow the correct form of Tawheed and Aqidah of Islamic faith.

Unfortunately, they do alot of Bid'a and they are very zealous about their opinions and their sect.
I have been to such masjids in my area and what you mentioned goes on there too.

Wallahu Alam.

bro u mentioned "ya Muhammad"... jus wanted to say...we as muslims should not state or address the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with "ya Muhammad" because if u look in the quran nowhere has Allah the almight adressed Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with "Ya muhammad", other prophets Allah addresses with "Ya" as in "ya moosa, Ya isa" etc etc... but to show the uniqueness and the respect Allah gave the Prophet (pbuh)... it is advised to address our beloved prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with other names such as Ya Nabi... Ya Rasool etc etc im not havin a go at u.. but jus read ur post n it popped into my head so thought id let you all know :D

JazakAllah kher

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Salaam,

I can somewhat relate to your saying about the brothers entering the sisters area, this also happens in my masjiid, basically they come in to put the food for iftaar but they don't knock which is a bit annoying as there are some sisters doing i'tikaaf who may not have their hijaab at that time, so what we did is we put a note on the door for brothers telling them to knock before entering and to WAIT, but guess what the next day, a young bro again just came in without knocking so we told him and now alhamdoulilah it's better... but in no way do they collect the money they give us the box and we bring it down later...

Contributions, should be voluntary and not something to be forced to do, it has to come from the heart and imams should in no way 'force' people to give money but they have to remind people to give for the sake of God, Allah knows best...

sajjuaiah

Salaam,

I can somewhat relate to your saying about the brothers entering the sisters area, this also happens in my masjiid, basically they come in to put the food for iftaar but they don't knock which is a bit annoying as there are some sisters doing i'tikaaf who may not have their hijaab at that time, so what we did is to put a note on the door for brothers to knock before entering and to WAIT, but guess what the next day, a young bro again just came in without knocking so we told him and now alhamdoulilah it's better... but in no way to they collect the money they give us the box and we bring it down later...

Contributions, should be voluntary and not something to be forced to do, it has to come from the heart nad imams should in no way 'force' people to give money but they have to remind people to give for the sake of God, Allah knows best...

Yes indeed i am with you.

Firstly; they are not authorised to come inside female section at all. :astag:
If they need to collect money they should put a box for such fund.

If they need to arrange food for iftar they should do some arrangements which will not disturb others.

And no one has right to beg like beggers.

It is depent on person if he is willing to give for sake of Allah. (no force)

Dear sisters,
Sometimes they might forget the islamic ettique, i think you need to remind them.

:astag: :astag: :astag:

May Allah gudie them and let them follow the correct rules.

I am sorry if i am worng / Allah knows best
Jazakmullah Hu-Khairan

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Assalamu alaikum brother ScotsMuslim!

You are right, it is not right for muslims to call upon prophet Muhammad pbuh with the word "Ya". Perhaps you missunderstood me.

I mentioned it in a critical way and I disagree with using "Ya" for anyone who is not physically present and/or can not hear us.

"Ya" denotes that the listner is present and can hear us.
It is Allah swt alone who is always present and can hear us.

The word "ya" is used immediately before the name of someone from whom we seek help. If we are asking for a divine help, then we should only ask that from Allah swt and thus we are supposed to use "Ya" only for Allah swt.

In other words, "Ya" should be used only with the name of Allah swt and not anyone/anything else who is not present and can not hear us.

I hope i made it simpler and not more complicated.

wassalam

ScotsMuslim

Assalamu alaikum brother ScotsMuslim!

You are right, it is not right for muslims to call upon prophet Muhammad pbuh with the word "Ya". Perhaps you missunderstood me.

I mentioned it in a critical way and I disagree with using "Ya" for anyone who is not physically present and/or can not hear us.

"Ya" denotes that the listner is present and can hear us.
It is Allah swt alone who is always present and can hear us.

The word "ya" is used immediately before the name of someone from whom we seek help. If we are asking for a divine help, then we should only ask that from Allah swt and thus we are supposed to use "Ya" only for Allah swt.

In other words, "Ya" should be used only with the name of Allah swt and not anyone/anything else who is not present and can not hear us.

I hope i made it simpler and not more complicated.

wassalam

Asalamulaykum...

yeh under no cirumstances should we adress the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) with ya... puttin that aside... ur are right.. only Allah is present at all time... but the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) can also hear us... when we send darood upon the prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) then prophet replies to our darood... because an angel goes to the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and says that a member of his ummah has read darood for him.. but when we say Salam upon the prophet (pbuh) then the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) replies himself to the salam!... so the Prophet (pbuh) can hear us init...

nways no im not talkin bout what u said or wanting to argue with u lol dont get me rong.. im jus tryin to put in a point in :)

hope u are gud brother :D

tc Allah Hafiz

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
?

:salam2:
Salaam,

I can somewhat relate to your saying about the brothers entering the sisters area, this also happens in my masjiid, basically they come in to put the food for iftaar but they don't knock which is a bit annoying as there are some sisters doing i'tikaaf who may not have their hijaab at that time, so what we did is to put a note on the door for brothers to knock before entering and to WAIT, but guess what the next day, a young bro again just came in without knocking so we told him and now alhamdoulilah it's better... but in no way to they collect the money they give us the box and we bring it down later...

Contributions, should be voluntary and not something to be forced to do, it has to come from the heart nad imams should in no way 'force' people to give money but they have to remind people to give for the sake of God, Allah knows best...

...wow..I thought the brothers entering the sisters section was just some crazy antic exclusive to my mosque! it happens here aswell! and...not for any particular reason...last time, (its happened more than once) the sisters section was being used as a 'gangway' to get from one end of the mosque to another..even though there IS a separate staircase for that, and ok it wasnt rush time or anything in the sisters section..and there were only 2 brothers but...that isnt really the point..there were sisters there (about 4 of us in total) and, they didnt exactly make it a quicky either, just 'strolled' by...totally unislamic and unnecessary, and it isnt nice thinking 'a brother could walk in at ANY second now'

Yes indeed i am with you.

Firstly; they are not authorised to come inside female section at all.
If they need to collect money they should put a box for such fund.

If they need to arrange food for iftar they should do some arrangements which will not disturb others.

Dear sisters,
Sometimes they might forget the islamic ettique, i think you need to remind them.
I agree...

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
WaAlaikum Salaam, Sister ShahnazZ, dear respected Brothers and Sisters,

IF Brother Bawar is accurate in his guesstimate of this local masjid being run by a deviated sect, clearly you should concider moving to the not-quite-as-local masjid.

"Ya" means "O!" it is an interjection used for calling upon someone for help. - Br. Bawar

Again, IF the brother's guess is correct and they are directly or indirectly calling upon Muhammad (May Allah SWT shower him with peace, honor, and blessings) in this matter, I would say that this is foul innovation. It clearly states in The Opening/Al-Fatiha that "You alone we worship, You alone we ask for help."

As for a brother walking in among the respected Sisters, I would be outraged too. Surely he could have left the task to his wife or to one of the pious Sisters! There are many good reasons for Brothers not to walk in on a fellowship of Sisters like that, but ultimately it's all about respect.

Let me finish by saying that you have every right to be offended and to feel the way that you do, but at the same time we must always strive to follow the Prophet's (PBUH) example by keeping our manners and restraint, as some of the Brothers and Sisters suggested above. When you are justly outraged it is a difficult thing to do, I know, but do not sink to the ignorance level displayed by the offenders. Holding up the Salat to force the help of the good Muslims is disgusting in my view, and the Shiek should know better. "You alone we ask for help"; can't he rely on God?

/sigh

InshaAllah you are feeling better today and are in good iman & health. Take care.

Asalaamu alaikum
Br. Ahmed

Libinette

Umm Zubayr
Subhanallah, here (i dont know if they still do it or not) but the personal of the masjiid asked one night before taraweeh if some borhers & sisters could like guard the masjiid, the entrance, sisters area, parking because the youngters once we start praying they run away, young boys go up in the sisters area and lock the door, its sick really, so one night i voluntered to 'guard' the sisters area, sat on the stairs, reading qur'an when 3 boys ages 10-13 i guess came running, they didnt see me at first, i said: where are you going' they said we're looking for our shoes (one of them said tht) i said it's the sisters area up there u wont find your shoes, he sais, 'maybe, maybe' Okay, then i'll come with you, we went up, they pretented to look for they shoes (they really thought i was that stupid!!!) and i sent them back downstairs!! Imagine if i wouldnt have been there, i'm sure they'd have locked the door again!! Thats out of topic, but i think its a topic that has to be raised really : masjiid and the youths..

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Asalamulaykum...

yeh under no cirumstances should we adress the Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) with ya... puttin that aside... ur are right.. only Allah is present at all time... but the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) can also hear us... when we send darood upon the prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) then prophet replies to our darood... because an angel goes to the prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and says that a member of his ummah has read darood for him.. but when we say Salam upon the prophet (pbuh) then the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) replies himself to the salam!... so the Prophet (pbuh) can hear us init...

nways no im not talkin bout what u said or wanting to argue with u lol dont get me rong.. im jus tryin to put in a point in :)

hope u are gud brother :D
tc Allah Hafiz

salam aleikum
This is something I hear for the first time .Can someone clarify this for me pls ,sorry If Im off topic
but the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) can also hear us... when we send darood upon the prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) then prophet replies to our darood...
I just want to make sure this is authentic information and where this is taken from?

waaleikum salam

ScotsMuslim

ill try n find u the hadith where it says the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself says Salam back to the reciter... but the "ya muhammad" thing.. i went to zikr to the masjid.. n the mulana was speakin about the Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) and how nowhere in the quran Allah has addressed the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) with "YA MUHAMMAD" is has been... the prophet other names such as Ya rasoolAllah ya nabi.. ya habeeb Allah.. these are the names of the prophet (pbuh) but by Allah not callin the Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) with "YA" meanin "O" as in "O MUHAMMAD" it shows the uniqueness and the Respect Allah has for Prophet Muhammad(Pbuh) than ther other messengers... as Allah addresses them with "O" such as "YA MUSA (o Musa) and Ya isa (o isa)" but to show the Love that Allah (swt) has for THe Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) he never address the beloved (pbuh) with "O"... it makes sense... u love someone u have respect for them..

nways heres some hadiths.. n ill giv u the liink

- Holy Prophet (Sall Allahu ‘alaihi wa Salim) said that he himself recites blessings on one who recites Durood on him.

- One who recites Durood Shareef near the shrine of the Holy Prophet (Sall Allahu ‘alaihi wa Salim) is heard by him there and then alone.

33. If any one recites Durood Shareef from any place, any part of the world from any distance, it actually reaches the Holy Prophet (Sall Allahu ‘alaihi wa Salim) immediately. Allah Ta'ala has appointed several Angels who are given exclusive duty to collect all Durood Shareef and present the same before the Holy Prophet (Sall Allahu ‘alaihi wa Salim) immediately.

Sayyiduna Rasoolullah (Sall Allahu ‘alaihi wa Salim) said: "Without doubt, there is an Angel of Almighty Allah whom Allah has given power to listen to the voices of all the people. Whenever any person reads the Durood Shareef, this Angel delivers the Durood Shareef to me. I then plead to Almighty Allah for the person to receive ten blessings for reading a single Durood Shareef". (Jami' us Sagheer)

so when the darood is recdited infront of the Prophet Muhammad (Pbuh) in madina.. the prophetMuhammad (pbuh) himself hears it and sends blessin upon the reciter...

Allways remember... the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is not DEAD... he is parted from this world PHYSICALLY but spiritually he is with us :D

JazakAllah

Allah forgive me if i have said anything rong... Allah Knows All and BEST