Question: Is Baskin Robbins halal?

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I love this smiley;

th_screamicecreamf.gif

friend263

Ok may i request our dear sisters to please post some yummy ice cream recipes to be made in freezer of course because we dont have an ice cream machinr at our place also if the ingredients could also be sumple because tge place where i live is avery very small village where i cant even find chocolate chip...

Mahzala

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ أَحْسَنُ الْخَالِقِينَ
All flavors in Baskin Robbin ice cream are made with alcohol so they are not Halal. If Carrageenan present and if there is no flavor then this ice cream is mushbooh.
Red 40 & Yellow 5 are chemical dyes, lakes and they are Halal if used as powder or granular forms but if they have to use as liquid then vegetable oil or glycerin is added as a solvent. Glycerin can be made from pork or beef or vegetable fat. Only vegetable fat based glycerin is Halal.

If they have been certified by the Islamic Councils that they are Halal, then all of those ingredients and rulings have been taken into consideration at the time of issuing the certificate. Halal Certificates are not easy to obtain, I'm sure you're aware of that. And of course, the most debated of all - glycerine. A separate area of concern on its own. I doubt I saw any glycerine in their ingredient list, will double check next time I drop in. But then again, we come into contact with this ingredient at least once everyday ...

Mahzala

@sister herb, sorbet and parfait good stuff ... but keeping in mind the sister did specify 'simple' :rugby:

Mahzala

You said parfait, and my mind went to something like this.

Bergamot%20Lemon%20Parfait.jpg

So you see, I felt the need to remind you to go easy on the ice cream lovers :rugby:

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
I hope that this is quite easy (if you haven´t just strawberry, you can use other berries or fruits).

Homemade strawberry sherbet. A great low-fat alternative to ice cream!

Preparation Instructions
1. Place strawberries in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. If you do not want the seeds, pour the mixture through a mesh strainer and into a bowl. Otherwise, just pour the puree directly into a bowl.
2. Stir in the milk, lemon juice, and sugar. Refrigerate at least 2 hours (if not overnight) until the mixture is thoroughly chilled.
3. Pour the chilled mixture into the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Note: If you want to lower the sugar in this recipe, you can cut it in half. You can also use a sugar substitute.
Ingredients
  • 2 cups Hulled Strawberries
  • 2 cups Low Fat Milk
  • 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
  • ½ cups Sugar