is cheese halal?

shmed

:salam2:

bismillah

i'v just been reading about doritos(whether halal or haram...)

but my qn is, is cheese halal? i realy like cheese esp in my sanies(sandwitch)!

i would realy apreciate it if som1 pointed out 2 me which ones r halal n which ones arent.

wassalam

zarah

Islam
Staff member

bismillah

i'v just been reading about doritos(whether halal or haram...)

but my qn is, is cheese halal? i realy like cheese esp in my sanies(sandwitch)!

i would realy apreciate it if som1 pointed out 2 me which ones r halal n which ones arent.

wassalam

Need more description....you have so many different type of cheese in this world some are are halal some are haram.

What kind of cheese do you eat?

:wasalam:

shmed

thx sis,

i normally buy the vegeterian one, with the v sign. i.ve always thought that this is halal, but now i'v got a bit of was wasa (doubt) abt it.

zarah

Islam
Staff member

thx sis,

i normally buy the vegeterian one, with the v sign. i.ve always thought that this is halal, but now i'v got a bit of was wasa (doubt) abt it.

Mashallah its really good that you buy vegeterian cheese,but that won`t stop you checking the ingredients if it has any source of alcohol(Which is a bit unlikely,but incase.)

islam101

Salams,

u also need to check that it doesnt have animal fat, this can be labelled as this or rennet. if its halal certified it ok, otherwise id advise to call/email teh company to confirm wether it si animal or vegetable derivative.

Wasalam.

loveislam1

If you are in the USa At walmart they have a brand that is labeled Halal, it is called "Tillamook" I think they have 3-4 different kinds, I always buy it just because they labeled it halal.
I don't eat doritos or cheetos because they use rennet sometimes derived from pork.

al-muslimah

salamalaycoum akhi..enjoy eating cheese as far as there are no animal fat(pork)or anything else against our religion..of course that will be haram eating it:astag: ..so just check the ingrediants every time you wanna eat..its simple:hijabi: :) :SMILY346:
walaycoum alsalam

shmed

no akhi, i liv in London. i think i might hav 2 giv it up until i'm sure that its halal.

jzkllah khair n e way.

shmed

salamalaycoum akhi..enjoy eating cheese as far as there are no animal fat(pork)or anything else against our religion..of course that will be haram eating it:astag: ..so just check the ingrediants every time you wanna eat..its simple:hijabi: :) :SMILY346:
walaycoum alsalam

that'll be ukhti:hijabi:

zarah

Islam
Staff member

no akhi, i liv in London. i think i might hav 2 giv it up until i'm sure that its halal.

jzkllah khair n e way.

:salam2: sis,

You have to be aware of ingredients in any food product not only cheese.I live in London and I have cheese that say vegeterian but at the same time i look out for animal products or alcohol sources in certain food product.

Abu Hannah

Slave of Allah
Say Cheese

Why on earth can't cheese just be cheese! I mean, food these days is so proceesed, and the preservatives and stuff ....

Cheese fresh from the farm rocks !

Isn't All Cheese Halal?

The production of cheese requires the use of enzymes to coagulate or curdle the milk and the addition of other ingredients for various functions. The enzymes can be derived from animal, vegetable, or microbial sources. The animal sources include pigs and cattle. The enzyme derived from pigs is called pepsin and is haram. Another enzyme derived from pigs or small cattle is lipase. (Lipase can also be made by microorganisms, which is halal.)
One of the enzymes derived from the inner lining of the fourth stomach of calves is called rennet. It may come from Zabiha calves or non-Zabiha calves. The enzyme can also be produced by microbial methods. Microbial enzymes are not derived from meat and are halal.
Rennet is a crude preparation containing dried, ground linings of the calf stomach. The active enzyme is called chymosin. Today, purified chymosin is also manufactured through genetic modifications of microorganisms when the chymosin gene from a calf is duplicated and inserted into microbial cells. Calf rennet is still used by specialty cheese manufacturers. Moreover, pig enzymes, such as lipase, are still used in high flavor, ripened cheeses, like romano. Today, most cheeses in the North American markets are questionable. However, IFANCA has certified some specialty cheeses.
Most cheese products do not list the source of the enzyme, so one must ask the producer from where the enzyme comes. Of course, it is possible the source will change without notification.
Finally, cheese products may contain many other ingredients, each of which must also be examined.
And ALLAH, Subhanahu wa ta'ala, knows best.

http://www.ifanca.org/faq/