Is is ok to attend a wedding of a Non-Muslim in a church

dianek

NEED ADVICE!!!!!!!1

My best friend is getting married in December in a Catholic Church, eucharist and the whole thing, I want my muslim husband to go. Can anyone advise if there is a ruling against him attending? I am a bit afraid though that he won't bite his tongue while there and pass judgement on everything. Is there a ruling against him being disrespectful as well?

ponderer

I just got off the computer to ask my dad. He said it doesnt matter, a muslim can go inside a church if theres a wedding in it. He said he and my mom went inside one too(To visit, I think it was a historical church).
He shouldnt be disrespectful, because islam teaches respect, even towards those who arent muslims.

Hope that helped:)

(If I'm wrong in any of the above, please tell me.)

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
yeah its fine. There is nothing wrong with going to non-muslim weddings. Your husband shouldnt be disrespectful anyways if he doesnt wanna go. Like the post above me says: Islam teaches respect.

So yeah there isnt a problem with him attending non-muslim weddings. Its not like hes gonna pray or anything. Its just a wedding. A ceremony.

Optimist

قل هو الله أحد
Well, I know for certain that we can pray in a church ... so nothing wrong in being in a church per se.

However, usually there is more to it than just being in a church (or so I've been told - never been to one) .. Alcohol, kissing the bride .. etc.

WRT your husband criticising .. guess that's inevitable (I'm sure everybody does) but I'd hope he is not going to do it at that very moment. Perhaps when you are back home ?

I dont claim that I have an opinion about it ... sorry .. just dont know enough.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We are human beings. Attending a wedding exhibits good manners. I do not think that anyone will try to change his faith.
I will add, and this is hard, please bear with me...as you mature in Islam you will soon understand why it hard for Muslims to spend time with non-Muslims. We need each other. We spend time with others and that is good. However, spending time with Muslims is like coming home. There is a comfort level that is hard to find in the company of those who are not Muslims. I think of Ramandan and one of the reasons so many love it is because we get to spend more time with eachother. It's the fellowship thing.
I love the nights I am able to go to the masjid. Although we may not have the same nationalities we do have the same faith.
What I am attempting to say and am failing is you will soon want to spend time with Muslim women and find it becomes less value to spend time with those who do not profess the faith. I am sure I will get responses from many...however..I have the right to this view as I am the wise one.

ShyHijabi

Salaam Mirajmom,

Diane is not Muslim she is Christian....if you alredy knew this then I apologize to being pendantic.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Dearest sister, thank you. I was a little confused. I had taken Ramadan off and came back to discover a lot of newbees.
However, as she is married to a Muslim I think my response may assist her. It is very difficult to have two faiths in one household. I pray she understands that in no way am I trying to belittle her..just gently help her see her husband's perspective.

muharram23

Staff member
salamu alaykum

first of all, we muslims should not attend muslim weddings if there is haram in it (such as music, intermixing of sexes, alcohol etc) then how can anyone here say that it is ok for a muslim to attend non-muslim weddings when we know how their weddings go by. Especially, attending the houses of shirk (where people associate partners with Allah). More likely a person can fall into haram while attending parties such as that. Here below you can find some more information from a well known scholar. So, it is very important to be careful what you people allow and forbid in islam. The scholars have said that is worse to make something harram that is halal than make something halal that is haram. However, the person hasn't mentioned how practicing of a muslim her husband is. If he is not performing his obligations in islam, attending this wedding is less of importance of her/him knowing than leaving the obligations.

Allah knows best:astag:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=10957&ln=eng&txt=wedding

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=45789&ln=eng&txt=wedding
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=60442&ln=eng&txt=wedding

Shahzad

wedding is a part of religion. Thus attending the wedding of any non-muslim is not allowed as u cant take part in religious activities of non muslims , if u r a muslim.

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Salamu Alikum,

Also other brother and sister please don't give out your opinion, leave that to scholars.

AS Dear Sister,

With all due respect, if you say that, then doesnt that defeat the purpose of having this section of the forum where it says:

General Discussions, Talk about anything. A place to share information, express your ideas, discuss issues and have fun. Please Keep to Islamic Guidelines. and Respect all!

I mean I agree we are not all scholars, but we are all entitled to our opinions also because we are all Muslims in one way or another no matter how much extensive knowledge you have of the religion.

Sorry if I sounded rude. I just wanted to point that out.

WS

:salah:

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
AS Dear Sister,

With all due respect, if you say that, then doesnt that defeat the purpose of having this section of the forum where it says:

General Discussions, Talk about anything. A place to share information, express your ideas, discuss issues and have fun. Please Keep to Islamic Guidelines. and Respect all!

I mean I agree we are not all scholars, but we are all entitled to our opinions also because we are all Muslims in one way or another no matter how much extensive knowledge you have of the religion.

Sorry if I sounded rude. I just wanted to point that out.

WS

:salah:

:wasalam:

Diane clearly stated in her opening post,"Is there a ruling........". I thank her very much because she understands that we, as Muslims, adhere to was is in the Quran and Sunnah. When it comes to Islamic rulings, there is no place for giving your own opinion. :astag:

Sorry, didn`t mean to offend anybody!!

Also, this link might be helpful:

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=6992&ln=eng&txt=wedding church

:salam2:

Habasha Sister

Jazzak Allah brother Muharram23 for Posting the Fatwa, coz i also looking for the response to this question, 1 of my friends was invited to such a party and was asking me same question, it really saves time when 1 can found a response here, jazzak Allah bro, and I agree with the opinion plz we have to becareful from giving our own fatwa on religious matters coz it needs great knowledge for that,k nice to have such bros and sisters, Alhamdulilah, wselam.

Mohammed Aqueel

One can join wedding of non Muslims but should avoid certain things which is very common in now a days life like having wine dancing etc. and one should also be bear in mind that the food they are serving is halal or not, what is his source of income and all that.....Jazakallah khair....

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member

You should ask a scholar,

The trouble with relying too much on fatwa websites or books is that they give General Fatawa. It might not be applicable to all people.

I know that some scholars do say it is allowed for Muslim to attend these functions, particularly if family is involved. As, it is very bad for da'wah and that person's family if a person just doesnt go to a function. It will end with greater tribulation for that person!

He should go to the function and then leave early, if need be, if there are things that are not good for Muslim to be around, i.e. alcohol drinking, loud music and dancing etc.

I forgot which Shaykh I had asked with regards to similar question to this, but the above was his advice. (If I remember who it was I will post it here inshaAllah) Muslim must be balanced, we dont just shun people, certainly not our close family!

So, whoever has questions similar to these, then they should ask a scholar inshaAllah.

wasalam.

Shahzad

if some one replies here, he/she must have read the problem in the book of some authentic scholar and that book not be available online. So, its not the case that its OUR fatwa.

dianek

Salaam,

We are human beings. Attending a wedding exhibits good manners. I do not think that anyone will try to change his faith.
I will add, and this is hard, please bear with me...as you mature in Islam you will soon understand why it hard for Muslims to spend time with non-Muslims. We need each other. We spend time with others and that is good. However, spending time with Muslims is like coming home. There is a comfort level that is hard to find in the company of those who are not Muslims. I think of Ramandan and one of the reasons so many love it is because we get to spend more time with eachother. It's the fellowship thing.
I love the nights I am able to go to the masjid. Although we may not have the same nationalities we do have the same faith.
What I am attempting to say and am failing is you will soon want to spend time with Muslim women and find it becomes less value to spend time with those who do not profess the faith. I am sure I will get responses from many...however..I have the right to this view as I am the wise one.

Well, I am not Muslim, so I guess I feel like my husband agreed to be a willing partner in things with me and my friends and family even if he is Muslim. I was just asking so that I wouldn't be requiring him to do something against his faith.

dianek

One can join wedding of non Muslims but should avoid certain things which is very common in now a days life like having wine dancing etc. and one should also be bear in mind that the food they are serving is halal or not, what is his source of income and all that.....Jazakallah khair....

Well, the bride is pregnant.....so NO alcohol will be present....I love her though, she is my sister by means of being a chosen family member. I have known her since 3rd grade. Over 20 some years. We are serving, light lunch items, no pork present and the money being spent comes from her working hard in Information Technology and him being a land surveyor. IF alcohol makes its way in via one of her family members, I am sure my family and I can find a table where it is not placed.

Thanks to all for your information.