Is it Haram to be FAT?

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Ibn Umar narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The believer eats in one stomach whilst the kaafir eats in seven. Narrated by al-Bukhaari (5081) and Muslim (2060).

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
Brother Idris mentioned this once, and I'm just curious. Gluttony is a sin in Christianity and I believe its a sin in Islam.

xAllahKnowsBestx

This is from Islamqa

Praise be to Allaah.
Firstly:

One of the greatest blessings that Allaah has bestowed upon His slaves is that He has subjugated to them everything that is on earth, and He sends down blessings upon them, and He has permitted to them all good kinds of food, drink, clothing and so on.

But Allaah also condemns everyone who is extravagant in his use of these permissible things, or who abuses these blessings in ways that harm him or distract him from that which will benefit his religious and worldly interests.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al‑Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance)”

[al-A’raaf 7:31]

Secondly:

One of the most dangerous things that may doom the son of Adam to Hell is the desire of his belly, as the belly is the basis of all other desires and the essence of all problems and diseases. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The son of Adam does not fill any vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat a few morsels to keep him alive. If he must fill it, then one-third for his food, one-third for his drink, and one-third for air.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2380), classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

i.e., it is sufficient for the son of Adam to eat only that which will keep him alive, and no more than that. If he insists on having more, then he should eat only that which will fill one-third of his stomach, and another third for drink, and leave one-third for air. He should not consume more than that amount.

See: Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi.

The wise men of the Jaahiliyyah and of Islam were praised for eating little.

Haatim al-Taa’iy said:

If you give your stomach and your private part what they ask for, you will end up regretting it.

Fath al-Baari (9/669)

If a person eats so much food that it harms him, this is haraam.

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked: Is eating too much haraam?

They replied:

Yes, it is haraam for a Muslim to eat so much that it harms him, because that is a kind of extravagance and extravagance is haraam, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al‑Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance)”

[al-A’raaf 7:31].
End quote.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (22/329).

Warnings have been narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about eating one’s fill too often, and that this is a cause of suffering from hunger on the Day of Resurrection. It was narrated that Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: A man burped in the presence of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said: “Keep your burps away from us, for the one who eats his fill the most in this world will be hungry for the longest time on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2015); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

It was also narrated by Ibn Abi’l-Dunya, al-Tabaraani in al-Kabeer and al-Awsat and by al-Bayhaqi, from Abu Juhayfah, and they added: Abu Juhayfah did not eat his fill until he departed this world; if he ate breakfast he would not eat dinner and if he ate dinner he would not eat breakfast. According to a report narrated by Ibn Abi’l-Dunya: Abu Juhayfah said: I have not filled my stomach for thirty years.

Hmm.. I don't think it's a sin if a person is just naturally overweight, unless they eat way too much. Sometimes it's just genetic.

Allahu 'alam though.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
"One of the most dangerous things that may doom the son of Adam to Hell is the desire of his belly, as the belly is the basis of all other desires and the essence of all problems and diseases."

Sub7anAllah, obesity and Islam just don't mix. I mean, who would want to share Jannah with an obese person? They'll come over to your side of the Garden and eat all of your fruits!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/7973110/Genetic-excuse-for-obesity-is-a-myth.html

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Please for the Love of Allah stop. Obesity cannot be helped. There are so many factors involved. Many are health factors. Gluttony is not a disease of the body but a disease of the soul. Please show kindness.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

I have to agree with Aapa. Both; when person eats too much or doesn´t eat at all (anorexia) are diseases by soul (mental ones) and we can´t call it as sin if someone is sick.

Precious Star

Asalaam alaikum,

Get a dictionary. Gluttony and fat are not synonymous.

I am actually laughing.
At your response, and at the subject matter of the thread.

Thanks for the chuckle Aapa. Btw, I am fat because I eat too much. Can we now close this thread?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I am actually laughing.
At your response, and at the subject matter of the thread.

Thanks for the chuckle Aapa. Btw, I am fat because I eat too much. Can we now close this thread?

Im sorry, are you a moderator?
I think this is a very good topic, actually. It is one I have thought of often.......I have thought, "Why would a Muslim act as a Kufr and go to a buffet and eat 10 plates of food while his/her sisters/brothers are starving?"

I do believe that some people cannot help being overweight. But I also think some people over eat because they are bored or just because they can.

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
aslam o aliakum wr wb

idk wats with so much bashing, this is a good topic, i wanna know more inshAllah.

offcourse we are not judging people who have a medical problem, but i over-eating is a huge problem when it comes to khushu in our deeds,

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
7_31.gif

Ya banee adama khuthoozeenatakum AAinda kulli masjidin wakuloo waishraboo walatusrifoo innahu la yuhibbu almusrifeena

O Children of Adam! wear your beautiful apparel at every time and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for Allah loveth not the wasters.

There is no genetics in obesity. It just happens that if mom and fat are fat, the kids have a greater risk of being fat, because they all share a similar diet. In contrast to what John Smith's post: Diabetes is not a a genetic disease, but rather a higher risk amongst children of diabetics... and it does not lead to obesity--it is the other way around; obesity leads to DM2.

"Do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands." (2:195)

Allah tells us not to destroy ourselves. If we put ourselves at a risk of developing coronary artery disease, strokes, osteoarthritis, hypertension and heart failure, and many many other diseases, then clearly we're ignoring Allah's command.

some people are quick to rule that smoking is haram because it leads to illnesses, yet ignore the dangers of obesity.

And I don't see the difference between obesity and gluttony. Gluttony leads to obesity for one. second, research has concluded: "The findings challenge the popular myth that obesity is unavoidable if it runs in the family and could guide future treatments to combat the obesity crisis."

THEREFORE, if you're eating a king-size snickers bar and sipping of a 3-liter bottle of Pepsi as you sit there and troll forums, you might wanna get up and jog for an hour or 8

slaveofAllah88

Slave of Allah (swt)
There is no genetics in obesity. It just happens that if mom and fat are fat, the kids have a greater risk of being fat, because they all share a similar diet. In contrast to what John Smith's post: Diabetes is not a a genetic disease, but rather a higher risk amongst children of diabetics... and it does not lead to obesity--it is the other way around; obesity leads to DM2.

"Do not cast yourselves into destruction by your own hands." (2:195)

Allah tells us not to destroy ourselves. If we put ourselves at a risk of developing coronary artery disease, strokes, osteoarthritis, hypertension and heart failure, and many many other diseases, then clearly we're ignoring Allah's command.

some people are quick to rule that smoking is haram because it leads to illnesses, yet ignore the dangers of obesity.

And I don't see the difference between obesity and gluttony. Gluttony leads to obesity for one. second, research has concluded: "The findings challenge the popular myth that obesity is unavoidable if it runs in the family and could guide future treatments to combat the obesity crisis."

THEREFORE, if you're eating a king-size snickers bar and sipping of a 3-liter bottle of Pepsi as you sit there and troll forums, you might wanna get up and jog for an hour or 8

aslam o aliakum wa rahmatuAllahi wa barakatuhu,

what you said is truth, obesity leads to DM2, but you are overlooking the fact, genetic does have a part in it cause many people are genetically prone to high cholesterol level, metabolism rates, etc etc. And there is a genetic component to diabetes as well, i know most strongly in DM 1 but DM2 there is still role in it lol i was just studying this today actually.

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
wa'3alaykum asalaamu ra7matuAllahi wa barakatuhu,

Brother, first of all, MashaAllah, I like it when brothers and sisters learn this sort of stuff. I find it very interesting. Now I know who to bother when I have medical questions. May Allah guide you to become a successful doctor one day.

I don't doubt what you're saying, but some genetic disorders can be controlled. Its no excuse to say "I will keep on eating, because my doctor told me I have a hormone deficiency that prevents me from feeling full." Instead, I think there is bigger reward from Allah if one is overcome that obstacle.

This brother has no arms. YET, he proved to Allah that he is worthy of Jannah by continuing his jihad in this dunya. He does wudhu by wiping his face with his foot! May Allah grant him a high position in Jannah! If he can overcome his obstacle, why can't an obese person overcome his??

[video=youtube;4vUpOQCsvaM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vUpOQCsvaM[/video]

"Precious" Star, you need so watch this video and show humility and not make fun of this situation.

Idris16

Brother Idris mentioned this once, and I'm just curious. Gluttony is a sin in Christianity and I believe its a sin in Islam.
I have never mentioned about this hadith before, it's probably the first time I see it.

Maybe you are speakign about this hadith:

The best of people are my generation, then those who follow after them, then those who follow after them, then there will come after them a people who will be fat, and they will love obesity, bearing witness before being asked to."[related by the Umars, sons of Husayn(r)] [Tirmidthee, authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim] Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it to be Saheeh. See Silsilatul Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah no. 699, and Saheeh Al Jaami' no. 3294.

See this post: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88759&page=2&p=575820&viewfull=1#post575820

Abd_Al_Hadi

لبيك يا الله
I have never mentioned about this hadith before, it's probably the first time I see it.

Maybe you are speakign about this hadith:

The best of people are my generation, then those who follow after them, then those who follow after them, then there will come after them a people who will be fat, and they will love obesity, bearing witness before being asked to."[related by the Umars, sons of Husayn(r)] [Tirmidthee, authenticated by Imaam Al Haakim] Shaykh Al Albaanee declares it to be Saheeh. See Silsilatul Ahaadeeth As-Saheehah no. 699, and Saheeh Al Jaami' no. 3294.

See this post: http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88759&page=2&p=575820&viewfull=1#post575820

YES! jAk, I was looking for that thread!

Hajjerr

He is Dhul-Jalali Wal-Ikram
Salam aleykum

Moderation is good.

I agree the most unhealthy foods are the best in taste, but i do belive we are what we eat. From our skin, our mind and our soul, everything is affected by what we consume. Sadly i see internet is full of displays of complicated and fancy dishes, wich, except for collecting praise for the cook, are good for nothing. Even more sad is that i go in supermarket to buy peaches and they taste like raw potatoes.

Allah is full of Mercy and He left for us the best of nutrients out there but we humans have this forever desire to ruin that wich is natural.

What we put in our plate is our choice and i think this is what will be judged like any other choice we make. Is not about beeing fat or not because one can indulge in bad food day and night but are stille skinny due to genetic reasons.
Allah knows best.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

May Allah forgive you. How cold a heart you have. How cold a heart you have.

You with no knowledge of life, no experience of life and you judge people because they are obese. How do you define obese?

Tell me what would you say to a Samoan? What would you say to what is considered in the US a big boy? You know the work horse? They are big and do not consider themselves heavy. Would you consider the pro football players obese? They are not.

Size is relative.

Please grow up.

And obesity has nothing to do with gluttony. You are not an expert in linguistics, nor theology nor medicine.

Do you know why a person has to eat if there is a drop in the blood sugar? Have you ever passed out? Do you know the side-effects of note being able to eat when your blood sugar drops? Have you ever had to vomit because you forget to eat and let twenty minutes go by and you get sick? Have you ever started to shake uncontrollably because you missed a meal? Tell me about anxiety attacks?

Lower your gaze and do not be concerned about the weight of someone.

Muslimah4truth

I have often thought the same thing! "Why would a Muslim go to a buffet" where they would naturally be inclined to over eat! It is also true that over eating is done out of boredom and indulgance. As for obiesity being genetic, it takes calories to manufacture fat, when calories are drastically restricted the body burns fat that is in excess storage. Low metabolism is generally not a condition of physically active people and so lack of physical movement is another factor.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam alaikum,

Going to a buffet is a lot of fun. You have a choice of many foods. You sample the first plate. Little bites.

After the completion of HumanMapProject 17 obesity loci were discovered.

Lets not cast judgement, please.