is jesus the son of god

mahdi

can any body tell me why the christians think jesus is the son of god .. or why god calls jesus his son in the bible...

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalmu Alaykum
Because God calls Jesus the Son of God in the Bible (in which the Gospels weren't eye witness accounts according to Christian scholars/missionaries). I don't know why they believe Jesus (PBUH)is God because the only "evidence" they have are sayings of random unknown people (the Gospels weren't written by the people claimed to have written them as even Christians say (except Matthew, which doesn't call Jesus God) and Paul is known to have been a self-declared Apostle, with all the other Apostles and Disciples rejecting him) and not from Jesus (PBUH) himself.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

sigh... these are pointless questions in my book. I don't see as to WHY we need to know why the disbelievers think the way they do, we need to improver ourselves in OUR Deen the best way we can...

In the final revelation, the Qur'an, Allah states the following:

"This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion .'' [Soorah al-Maa'idah 5:3]
"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to God), never will it be accepted of Him ." [Soorah Aal-i-lmran 3:85]

ln Islam, Jesus is a prophet sent by Allah and his Arabic name is Eesa. Like the prophets before him, he called upon the people to surrender their will to the will of God (which is what Islam stands for).

Thus, Jesus, like the prophets before him and the only one who came after him, taught to religion of Islam: submission to the will of the one true God.

* Both the names 'Jesus' and the name 'Christ' are derived from Hebrew words, through Latin and Greek.

Jesus is the English and Latin form of the Greek 'Iesous', which in Hebrew is 'Yeshua' or 'Yehoshua' (Joshua).

The Greek word 'Christos' is a translation of the Hebrew, 'messiah', which is a title meaning 'the anointed.'

Learn about Islam... delving into the Dogmas of Christian theology is pointles...

wassalam.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalmu Alaykum
It is important, Sister Samiha. Maybe he wishes to give Dawah to Christians and Allah orders us in the Qur'an for us to know what we're talking about before debating.

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah

Some Christians think Jesus was the literal "Son of God" because that's how Eisa's awestruck companions viewed him as; After all, to them this man was born with no father, by the will of God! Therefore, in the minds of his disciples, why shouldn't he have the title of "Son of God"? He is the Messiah, after all! He preformed miracles, had some incredible things to say, and told them alot about God's deep love for humankind. However, let's remember who these disciples were - fishermen, shepardboys, the unemployed ... not exactly estute scholars! Infact, when Paul wrote much of the Bible 20+ years after Jesus' disappearance, who knows how clear this man's recollection and memory was. Same goes for John, and the other Bible contributors. There's even some speculation whether John was "trippin' out on Magic Mushrooms" when he wrote the Book of Revelations on that tiny island, renowned for having those mushrooms naturally grow.

These disciples knew Jesus very well and they loved him, but these were far from being flawless individuals. There're many passages in the gospels which meantion a disciple or two messing up, and there being a lesson learned from that. Heck, the most messed up of Jesus' disciples even sold the "intel" on Jesus to the Jewish authorities for only a few measly pieces of silver. "Oh you of little faith!" I recall Jesus saying to his discples out on the lake of Galilee, when a terrible storm brewed... And these are the people Christians rely on as their source of absolute truth?

As I meantioned, the disciples did love Jesus - which makes me wonder: At what point does following after the Messiah become Hero-Worship? How quickly can the pen veer off of the truth, where fact becomes flattery? If you study the Bible (as I have) never once does Jesus himself explicitly meantion that he's the "Son of God" and the "third part of a Tri-une God" (the "Trinity"). No! "Think not that I have come to destroy the law, but to confirm it!" is what he said... "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind, and soul - and love your neighbor as you love yourself" is what he said, and if humanity would listen to him we'd all be saved... as is the Messiah's task, by definition.

Either way, he's coming back and this time he won't be taking any graceful half-meassures, allowing people the oppourtunity to listen to him in their own time and figure things out. There's a passage in the bible that many Christians have a hard time with, and it says that when Jesus returns there will be a huge body of Christians who will come to him saying, "Lord, Lord" and Jesus will say to them, "I never knew you; Begone from me!"

.. or why god calls jesus his son in the bible...
As I pointed out, unlike the Noble Qur'an, God is not the author of the Bible; Jesus' disciples were. Men, just like you and I - and I don't know about you but I'm nowhere near perfectly accurate in anything I do. ;-) Trying, though.

I agree with Samiha on this, though - If you want to learn the perfectly accurate description of Jesus, from the words of God Himself, look no further than your own Holy Qur'an. There're lots of meantionings of Eisa in the Sunnah, as well. The more we know about these Islamic details, the easier it is for us to understand the whole truth and dispel these Christian (and others') myths.

One day I'll flesh out a proper article on all of this, and include referrances and whatnot ... but, basically, this is why some Christians view Eisa as the literal Son of God. I hope that helps. =)

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalmu Alaykum
It is important, Sister Samiha. Maybe he wishes to give Dawah to Christians and Allah orders us in the Qur'an for us to know what we're talking about before debating.

Assalamu Alaykum,

He should definitely not be debating with Christians, Jews or anyone else.

Debate is not for us to do. Rather, we present the verses of the Quran and hadith of the Prophet :saw:. This is how we teach people Islam.

remember, it is Allah who guides, and this is how the Prophet :saw: and his Companions gave Da'wah. They did not sit and discuss what the Bible says, or the mistakes in the Bible. No, we give people the best thing they will EVER here. That is the words of God from the Quran, and the words of the last and final Messenger sent to mankind, Prophet Muhammad :saw:

This is the best Da'wah, the da'wah of the Quran and Sunnah.

If some person starts debating or quoting passages from their corrupt scriptures, then its time to end it, because it is useless. Also, these issues require people of sound Knowledge of Islam, sound intellect and wisdom. So, leave that to the Scholars.

How can someone who does not know the Quran and the Hadith debate using the bible. First priority on all of us is to learn the Quran and the Hadith. to understand these properly. So, if someone studies the corrupted Bible, they are missing out on learning and understanding the perfect words of Allah in the Quran.

I never debate people over bible this or that. It is big waste of time. People should recognise the word of God from just hearing the Quran. This is the beauty and perfection of Islam. Alhamdulillah,

And Alhamdulillah, in past 2-3 weeks I have helped 3 people take the Shahada :) The youngest being 14.

wasalam.

yusuf

Asalam Alaikum

I have to say u are wrong because God didnt call him son in the bible as in JESUS MY SON

i dont know the exaxt line but he says my father and ur father means our father

that doesnt means he is son of god and inthe bible he is never called son

thats what they made from it jesus himself never said it its
JOHN PETER MATHEW ect whosaid that

And Our prophet Mohammad is mentioned in the BIBLE (old testament in hebreew) BY NAME (Song of Solomon Chapter 5 verse 16)

and in the english language they translated his name in the praised one

WICH IS THE MEANING OF HIS NAME

and as u know out of the 24000 bibles no two are identical
so in other bibles they have translated it in LOVELY
and in other THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH
Watch this video for greater detail

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=1837525168870785121&q=ahmed+deedat

http://jamaat.net/muhinbible/muhinbible.html

yusuf

Asalam Alaikum

Brother mabsoot i have to say ur wrong in what u say
that we shouldnt debate ALHAMDULILLAH yesterday
I was debating and talking about the similarities between christianity and islam

and about the quran what it says

and about the bible

and at the end of the discussion DEBATE
ALHAMDULILLAh she took her Shahada and became a muslim

and she said wow i was brainwashed
I wish someone told me all this befor about the bible and its errors
and that Prophet Mohammad is mentioned in the bible

Plus we as muslims are responsable for giving dawa and telling people about the message with beautifull praching with wisdom Not like start a fight

There r soo many Good ways in giving dawa and debating over it without
starting a FIght

This is our Job !

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah

I think what the brother means is that it is better that we leave it to the scholars to debate, and for us to only present the truth as we understand it - with the words of the Qur'an, Sunnah, etc. Most of us don't have enough the academic experience to be able to effectively debate, and would run the risk of embarrassing Islam through our own faults. I think that's what the brother is concerned about ...

rizzumd

Your brother
MashaAllah..

Posted by brother Mabsoot
And Alhamdulillah, in past 2-3 weeks I have helped 3 people take the Shahada The youngest being 14.

Posted by brother Yousuf
and at the end of the discussion DEBATE
ALHAMDULILLAh she took her Shahada and became a muslim

JazakAllah Khairan for your efforts.. May Allah accept from you.
May Allah make use of us more to invite people to the truth and straight path.

mahdi

why i asked this question is because when u are talking to a christian , he will tell u christ means king so jesus was king or god,,... but u can tell him in hebrew he is not christ he is masieh .but if u don't know the meaning of masieh what r u going to say..he can even say may be masieh means king. so that is why i asked this question . but thank u all for your response

mohammad javid

sigh... these are pointless questions in my book. I don't see as to WHY we need to know why the disbelievers think the way they do, we need to improver ourselves in OUR Deen the best way we can...

Assalamu alakium sister,
Correction first Allah [God] is telling us muslims what the Jews say,and what the Christians say.
[ Holy Quran 2:11]
And they say: "None shall enter paradise unless he be a Jew or Christian."
Those are their [Vain] desires. Say"produce your proof if you are truthful."

So the proof Allah [ God] is telling us to ask for their Book of authority which is the Bible.And once you read it believe me you will find out things completely opposite of what they tell you.

WE muslim are told in the [Holy Quran 3:64]

Say: "O people of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves lords and patrons other than Allah". If then they turn back, say:"Bear witness that we are Muslims [bowing to Allah's will].

SO it is they who deviated from the straight path. Instead of worshiping Allah [GOD] they are worshiping Jesus.

Jesus Prophesied that people will worship him uselessly and believe in doctrines made by men [Matthew 15:9]:

"But in vain they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.":wasalam:

saif

Meaning of the word Christ

Dear Mahdi,

The English word Christ is derived from the greek work Christos, which is equivalent to the arabic word masih or the hebrew word mashiah, meaning: anointed or more particularly, anointed or rubbed with a holly oil. Christ itself cannot be translated to king. However, the jews had the tradition of anoinment as a coronation ritual. This is why, they were expecting Christ to be a king of the worldly power, who would liberate them from greek/roman invaders. Obviously, both christians and muslims owe an explaination to the jews, if they believe Jesus was the christ, although he was never coronated (or not yet, considering the christian belief (and muslim belief as well), that he will rule the world on his second coming). As far as I can understand, christian position on that is very similar to the our islamic understanding. They say, that the qualification of a person to a God-given task by Holly-spirite can also be considered as a spiritual kind of coronation or anointment. I refer to wikipedia entry on Anointing for further explaination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anointing

Our position is, that he was a messenger (rasul) to Bani-Israel. Being rasul is in fact qualification of a prophet to "a God-given task". Recall the difference between nabi and rasul for a better understanding:

http://www.dartabligh.org/books/ebooks/basicbeliefs/page55.asp

Regards,

Saif

faiz_fauzi

Basically studying bible as one of the option in da'wah.Is a good thing to know what they think and what they know so that we can compare with Quran kareem and sunnah.So learning their thoughts will be useful in convincing them into loving and understanding islam.It is not about debating it is about learning and da'wah.JazakaLLAHU Khair!RITE?