is music haraam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
islam is often seen by non-muslims as a harsh puritanical religion.

yusuf islam has just released a new album called Roadsinger today. which led me to ask the question. is music really banned in islam or did mullahs create this restriction for their people? if its banned, didn't yusuf islam commit a sin?. if its not banned, why do people say its banned?

sveikas,

yusuf islam has just released a music album.

does that mean he's started to revert back to his non muslim ways again? are we allowed to listen to his album?

AbdAllah84

:salam2:

I read an article written by him sometime back, probably you can find it on one of his websites.

Islam allows Music (Nasheed, what ever you want to call it), but there are certain restrictions (No instruments etc). Whilst he point out to the evidence that allows Music, he ignores the other evidence of things that are not permissable (instrument).

He has been signing for a while now, I guess he started signing back in 2003. The only issue with what ever I have heard is the musical instrument, apart from that you cannot say its unislamic.

I know he has released a new album, I haven't heard any of the songs though. If it is without instrument and the songs are like what he have been signing of late, than it should be alright.

By now you know the guidelines, so you can judge it for yourself.

:wasalam:

nizar83

aselemu aleikum sister

wether music is haram or halal, only ALLAH ta3ala knows that for a fact.
the muslim scholars have different opinions.

some say its haram, unless there are no instruments but the deff(simple drum) some scholars say its permissable to listen to music even with instruments, as long as it contains a decent message of the truth, and as long as it doesnt generate haram activities

i have chosen to stick to the second, i listen to music which make me remember ALLAH ta3ala more often, and it helps me make du3a for our beloved prophet mohammed salalahu wa3alayhi weselem.

but this is dangerous...i dont turn to music when i feel sad or when i feel happy, i turn to ALLAH ta3ala in all emotional conditions..music is just a way to pas my time when im in the car or when im cleaning the house(yes im a man and i clean my house)

i hope this clears it up, ALLAH YAHDEE MA AGLAK..amin

BinKhadija

An Akhu
sveikas,

yusuf islam has just released a music album.

does that mean he's started to revert back to his non muslim ways again? are we allowed to listen to his album?

Who are you, and I, to judge him? Guess, being a Muslim, who is the only Judge?!

If really you are interested into why he, being so inspiring Muslim, still does Music, read about why he has come back to do Music. Listen, search into the topic of Music being Haraam or not yourself, and decide whether you want to listen to it.

Musulmanin

:salam2:

I heard Yusuf Islam justify his going back to music by saying that muslims introduced gitar to Spain, so it was allowed to play.

I'm sorry, but I found it to be most rediculous excuse ever. I respect very much how much brother Yusuf Islam did for Islam, but the justification he gave was very lame.

If "muslims" would introduce heroine to Spain, would that make heroine halal (allowed)?

With all due respect, Yusuf Islam is wrong on that. I know there is a difference of opinion of scholars, but most agree that music is haram ( exept certain allowed intruments, and gitar is not one of them). Also, if one is in doubt is always better to stay away.

I could not live without listening to music, and now have not listened to it for about 4 yrs. I now know why music is considered to be haram. Life is so much more clear without that mind-cluttering junk.

Wasalam

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum
I completely agree with brother Musulmanin ..
The topic of Music been discussed on this site several times ,please use the search engine on this site,to find more information...

waaleikum salam

Status
Not open for further replies.