is there an easy way to learn ayn?

Abdullah5576

Asalamulaykum warahmatullah wabarakatu brothers and sisters. I would like some help on pronouncing 'ayn I'm not of Arabic origin so I find it very difficult. Its become a big obstical with my hafidh of Quran its the only letter I've failed to master. Please help me out! :(

Sister Zohra

Assalamu Alaikum,

I got if from an older thread and tried it out myself, it didn't work. I was hoping it would work for you. Sorry about that.

Sister Zohra

Assalamu Alaikum,

Perhaps you can try:

Start by saying the sound 'ah' as in father and then hold your open hand out in front of your face with the palm facing the floor -- in other words parallel with the floor. You will be looking at the profile of your index finger and your thumb. Now, while saying the sound 'ah' slowly move your hand towards your throat, above the Adam's Apple or below where the chin meets the neck. I imagine most who are reading this know how the 3een should sound like so, that said, when your hand reaches your throat keep pushing (slowly) until it sounds like you think it should. I looked at my profile in the mirror while doing this to try to judge how far I push my hand into my throat, but it is difficult to tell -- maybe anywhere from a half inch to an inch.

Anyway, this is a good exercise just to get you familiar with producing the sound, the muscles that produce it, and what they need to do to produce it. Eventually, with enough practice, one should be able to produce the sound without choking him/herself.

Using this technique try saying a few words, such as 3een (eye), 3ilba (box) or tin, 3ilaaqa (relation), or whatever. Produce the sound using the technique and then right before saying the rest of the word pull your hand away really fast so you can say the rest of the word.

Source: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=649068

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Wa-akaykum-us-Salaam wa'Rahmatullaahi wa'Barakatuh,

I used these resources when learning the letter 'ayn.

1) The link below is a video presentation of correctly articulating the letter 'ayn from Tajweed in English.

http://www.archive.org/download/ExplanationOfHowToArticulateTheLetterAyn/5.m4v

2) I compiled a short audio clip of a person (from the 'Graded steps in Qur'aan reading' resource) pronouncing the letter 'ayn, then with fathah, kasrah and dammah. I used the 1st more than the second.

Keep practising and Insha'Allaah, when you develop that consistency it will become easier/more natural to say. I hope this helps (I might compile another audio file with words containing the ayn, that can be tricky).

Attachments

• Articulation of letter 'Ayn.mp3
    265.7 KB · Views: 19

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Wa`alaykum us-salaam warahmatullaahi wabarakaatuh

Ok this might sound ridiculous, but the epiglottis which is used in the pronounciation of the `ayn, is also used when you vomit! Try imitate the sound you make when you vomit to a get a feel of the letter, than learn to utilise the epiglottis. Inshaa' Allaah that might help.