Is there someone here to help .........

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum

I begin in Allah's name, the One Who blesssed me with Islam, the Most Kind, the Most Merciful. I pray Allah blessses you all, and grants you a place in Jannah tul firdos. Aameen. Masha'Allah I have read some of the posts people have put up, and it encouaged me to speak out.

I am new to this forum. I don't know anybody here, but I know you are all my Muslim brothers and sisters, and I hope that you are willing to help me. I am in a difficult situation and I don't know who to trust. Alhamduillah I trust you all.

I have been suffering from an eating disorder for a very long time. At this moment of time, I have realised that I need help. Previously, I saw two counsellors, who I thought could help me. I never got the help I wanted. I struggled very hard, and still do. I know there is something missing in my life, ISLAM. I want to get better, I really do, and I have decided to do 'self - help', but I got alot of stick from other people. For example one of my friends said that i couldn't do that, and i needed to see a professional. I disagree, and no one seems to understand. I have thought about what I want - i.e to recover from this eating disorder, and i have so much faith in Islam, and i know Islam/ Allah will help me get better. The problem is why doesn't anyone think i can do it. Am i doing the right thing? I ask myself all the time, I know i am though, because Islam has all the answers, doesn't it???

I am finding it very hard to write this, so i am going to cut it short. Is it worth recovering??? Can i ask, does anyone know of any du'as etc, i can read when i feel reallly low? How can Islam help me get better mentally?? Can anyone help me, even if you wrote one word, it would be a great help, just so i know, there are people who do care.

Jazka'Allah for reading my post. It means alot to me. I pray Allah keeps you all happy. Aameen.

Wassalam.

palestine

Servant of Allah
SubhanaAllah! of course you're right to think that islam can help you with this. Sister there's a cure for EVERYTHING, yes EVERYTHING even cancer. Allah can make the impossible possible. He can make anything happen. And whether it takes you a long time or a short time to recover you will recover INSHAALLAH. Dua is a powerful tool. Allah swt tells us in the quran to never despair of his hope or mercy. so how could those around you have such a thought. subhanAllah. i'll post duas here inshAllah. As humans rather than asking Allah for help, we tend to run to the doctors office or to a proffesional. Allah swt is already offering his help to us, but we are the ones running away. sister you'll be cured inshaAllah. just remember TRUST IN ALLAH. asalamu alaykum wrwb.

palestine

Servant of Allah
Sister your post made me cry...we are your brothers and sisters and we really really love you. and We DO CARE FOR YOU. If a muslim is hurt, it pains the rest of us. So have hope ukhti. :) WE LOVE YOU.:p

palestine

Servant of Allah
Sister your post made me cry...we are your brothers and sisters and we really really love you. and We DO CARE FOR YOU. If a muslim is hurt, it pains the rest of us. So have hope ukhti. :) WE LOVE YOU.:p

Prophet (SAW)'s Prayers

When in any difficult

Recite:
اللَّهُمَّ رَحْمَتَكَ أَرْجُو فَلَا تَكِلْنِي إِلَى نَفْسِي طَرْفَةَ عَيْنٍ وَأَصْلِحْ شَأْنِي كُلَّهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ

"O Allah, I hope for Your mercy, do not leave me for even the duration of an eye blink (duration) and correct my total condition. Besides You there is none worthy of worship".

(Hisnul Hasin)

Alternate dua
حَسْبُنَا اللَّهُ وَنِعْمَ الْوَكِيلُ

"Allah is sufficient for us and He is the Best Guardian".

(Quran, Surah Al-Imraan)

Alternatively recite
اللَّهُ اللَّهُ رَبِّي لَا أُشْرِكُ بِهِ شَيْئَاً

"Allah is my Lord, I do not ascribe anything unto Him".

(Hisnul Hasin from Abu Dawood)

or recite
يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ بِرَحْمَتِكَ أَسْتَغِيثُ

"O Alive and everlasting One, I beseech You by Your mercy".

(Mustadrak Hakim)

لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ سُبْحَانَكَ إِنِّي كُنْتُ مِنَ الظَّالِمِينَ

"O Allah, there is none worthy of worship besides You. You are Pure, definitely I have oppressed my soul by sinning".

The Qur'an states that these words were recited when Yunus (A.S.) called upon Allah from the belly of the fish. Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) stated in a hadith that when any Muslim makes this dua via these words to Allah, then Allah surely accepts his duas.

(Tirmidhi etc)

It is stated in a hadith that

لَا حَوْلَ وَلَا قُوَّةَ إِلَّا بِاللَّهِ

is the medicine for 99 ailments, the least of which is depression.

(Baihaqi in Dawatul Kubra)

It means that these words are so beneficial and useful that big/great grievances, depression and sorrow are easily removed in its stride.

Abdullah bin Abbas (R.A.) narrates that Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W.) stated that if a person constantly makes "Astaghfar", then Allah removes every difficulty, frees him from every sorrow and makes a means for him to receive sustencance from places that he never thought of.

(Mishkat from Ahmad)

palestine

Servant of Allah
Life is a test, and even an eating disorder could be a test for us. so here is a video about the test of life. hope this will help inshaAllah.

[yt]nGZoNDCd8XY[/yt]
[yt]cW93TwgmiCE&feature=related[/yt]

palestine

Servant of Allah
i know many of these videos or all have nothing to do with eating disorders but they're talking about test of life and so on and i thought you might wanna watch them since you said you needed islam in your life.
[yt]R9WkN7OVnoQ&feature=channel[/yt]

palestine

Servant of Allah
Anorexia: A Product of Western Ideals?
By Leila Ali

Anorexia, which means "without appetite," is an emotional illness in which a person refuses to eat. Ninety percent of anorexia cases are women and young girls (Balch, p.321). Although an anorexic female is hungry most of the time, she avoids food for psychological reasons. The exact cause of anorexia is not known, however, social factors such as the desire to be thin, appear to be the most important of the factors. Depression and low self-esteem are also powerful factors as they may cause a person to become anorexic out of a desire for more attention or as a cry for help (Merck, p.415). In Western society and through advertising, food is heavily linked to pleasure, self-image and fulfillment. However, the Islamic view on food and diet is quite different and may provide some guidance for those trapped in the ideals of Western self-image.

In Islam, food is linked with the blessings of Allah; with the expression of generosity; and with the health of the body. It is not linked to self-image, fulfillment or pleasure like it is in the West. In the Qur'an it says, "And He made in it mountains above its surface, and He blessed therein and made therein its foods, in four periods: alike for the seekers" (Qur'an, 41:10). However, a Muslim is expected to realize that this blessing is not made just for him, but for his guests and others as well. The Qur'an also advises, "And they give food out of love for Him to the poor and the orphan and the captive" (Qur'an, 76:8). Hadith(s) also provide an insight into how food is viewed in Islam. Abdullah ibn Umar narrated that the Prophet (saws) said, "He who does not accept an invitation which he receives has disobeyed Allah and His Apostle of, and he who enters without invitation enters as a thief and goes out as a raider" (Shahih Bukhari). Furthermore he advised, "Give food to the hungry, pay a visit to the sickand release (set free) the one in captivity (Muslim)."

The Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) also listed a number of foods that would help restore health to the body, such as: dates and barley. Saad narrated that Allah's Apostle(pbuh) said, "He who eats seven 'Ajwa dates every morning, will not be affected by poison or magic on the day he eats them" (Bukhari). However, Western society and Islam agree on one perspective of food: Food is linked to life performance.

On television, long chains of commercials advertise foods that are supposed to help people perform better at work, at school and in sports. In Islam, the health of the body became linked to the ability of the Muslim to perform their prayers when the Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) advised against praying on a hungry stomach. Sahih Muslim records that the Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) said, "If supper is served and the Iqama for (Isha) prayer is proclaimed, start with you supper first."

Despite the noble place that food holds in Islam, many Muslim women have succumbed to the disease of anorexia. However, the avoidance of food is not the only challenge for an anorexic. Some anorexics also go through a stage where they become bulimic. They start craving food and they end up eating large amounts of it. After consuming it they make themselves vomit. In Western society this vomiting is seen as a way to rid the body of undesirable calories or to "repent" for the social sin of overeating. In Islam, the Prophet (saws) advises that when one commences a meal they should remember from the beginning of the meal that, "A believer eats in one intestine (is satisfied with a little food), and a kafir (unbeliever) or a hypocrite eats in seven intestines (eats too much)."

The most noticeable symptoms of this alternating starvation and binging are severe weight loss (up to 25% of body weight), slow heartbeat, growth of thin hair on the body, low blood pressure, delayed puberty and edema (Merck, p.415). In Western society, films portray thin women as beautiful and magazines speak of the great sacrifices women must make to be thin and the newspapers portray hunger strikers as heroines. From this perspective many anorexic women may feel that their health symptoms are merely a sacrifice for the greater good of themselves or mankind.

However, in Islam, the destruction on one's health is viewed in a different light. Up to 20% of anorexic women die each year (Merck p. 415) and in Islam suicide is considered Haram (forbidden). In Sahih Bukhari, a number of punishments are related corresponding to the various methods in which people may kill themselves. It is stated that killing oneself in any way is unacceptable in Islam. The Prophet(peace and blessings be upon him) gives a number of examples: "He who killed himself with steel (weapon) would be the eternal denizen of the Fire of Hell and he would have that weapon in his hand and would be thrusting that in his stomach for ever and ever; he who drank poison and killed himself would sip that in the Fire of Hell where he is doomed for ever and ever; and he who killed himself by falling from (the top of) a mountain would constantly fall in the Fire of Hell and would live there for ever and ever."

However, the results of anorexia can easily turn into "a living hell" for the family and friends involved. When anorexia cannot be halted at home, many anorexics end up in the hospital. They are put in special rooms where they can be watched. The doctors and nurses then go into the room at certain times and force the victims to eat, sometimes through an IV tube. The anorexic is only allowed to leave when their eating habits resume normally and a safe weight is restored (Merck, p.415). The 'Merck Manual of Medical Information' states that, "Treatment is aimed at establishing a calm, concerned, stable environment while encouraging the consumption of an adequate amount of food."

The Qur'an and Hadith could provide important guidance in this area. The Western world views food as a pleasurable, fulfilling hobby and views a positive self-image as achieved through self-sacrificing beauty. However, Islam views food as a symbol of Allah's blessings, a function of health and a method of worship. In Islam self-image is achieved, not by sacrificing one's health, but by restoring one's physical, mental and spiritual health. It is a known fact, that even Muslim women wants to look good and have a perfect body, however, she can have all this with her good health by following the guidelines of the Qur'an and Hadith. Although the Prophet Muhammed(pbuh) said, "The food for two persons is sufficient for three, and the food of three persons is sufficient for four persons." He also said that, "the believer must fill his stomach with one third water, one third air and one third food (Sahih Bukhari)."

Sources:
Qur'an and Hadith Search.
http://www.muslimguide.com/
http://www.hti.umich.edu/k/Qur'an/simple.html

Berkow, Robert, MD. "The Merck Manual of Medical Information." Whitehouse Station, New Jersey: Merck and Company Publishing. 1997.

Zand, Janet. Walton, Rachel; and Rountree, Bob, MD. "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child." Garden City, New York: Avery Publishing Group. 1994.
Courtesy: www.everymuslim.net

Asja

Pearl of Islaam

Assalamu Aleicoum dear sister.

May you be in the best state of heath and faith Inshallah.

Dear sister Alhmadulillah you can always ask of your brothers and sisters for help and I am also sister willing to help you Inshallah.

Dear sister Alhmadulillah Islam is the best cure for everything,for our souls,hearts or anything that is bothering us.
In Allah subhane we teaa we can find piece,happiness and Alhamdulillah I think sister if we only think how Allah is thinking on us we can never be alone and we can never be sad becasue Allah is always there for His servent and belivers.
In the Holy Quran Allah subhae we teal sais:"Call me and I will answer on your prayers".Inhsallah sister you will be in my duas and may Allah help you Inhsallah.
Do not worry sister Inshallah Allah will help you and my advice for you dear sister is to pray to Allah and to read a loot of Holy Quran and I am sure Inshallah it will help you.

Regarding medical problem sister all Power is in Allah Almighty but Allah is always saying to us that we should study sience becasue Allah has create for everything some cure.

May Allah bless you dear sister.

Salam.

Your sister Asja

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum

I am stuck for words. i like to begin by saying Jazka'Allah for all your time you spent uploading these videos, and for sharing these du'as with me. i am very grateful, and after watching these videos i did cry, it made me think about a lot of things.

i was in two minds about joining this forum, because i felt that i wouldn't belong here, because i have been use to neglect from a lot of people. But alhuduillah i made the right choice, and it is very nice of you to say you care about me, even though you don't know me. [I am not trying to be offensive, if i am, i am sorry.]

I ask myself all the time, that does anyone understand what i am going through, and the answer is no. No body does. i get judged all the time, if i am not eating or if i am. Then is it worth it, seeking help from people????? NO, of course it isn't. How can i talk/trust anyone, because people break your trust all the time, they tell you things that are not true, they make you feel as though you are 'mental.' [ I am talking from experience] For a very long time I have kept everything inside, my family don't know about my eating disorders. But i really can't take it anymore, and i want help, so i have decided to ask Allah to help me, because He never breaks your trust, and He will always be there. Masha'Allah i am so happy to have been blessed with Islam. And i know that Allah understands, people, however don't! It's got nothing to do with food, its about so much more, that no one wants to listen to. I have given up on people, because they don't help. But saying that your post were really helpful. Jazka'Allah for responding. I suppose there is people in the world who are willing to listen, but i just haven't come across many!!!!!

Can i ask, is a person strong enough to do 'self - help', or do you think seeking professional help is needed? Or am i just mental/crazy to think you can do it by yourself? How do i deal with all these people, some which are close to me, saying that i shouldn't do self - help, and who disapprove. I feel so confused, i feel like no one understands, and no one really cares about how i am feeling.

I am very sorry for writing a lot, i know its a lot to read, so i am deeply sorry. I pray Allah blesses you, and grants you a place in Jannah tul firdos. Aameen.

Wassalam.

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum Asja

Jazka'Allah for your post, it is really nice. your words were very meaningful, and i know i can ask you for help, Masha'Allah you seem like a really nice person. I pray Allah blesses you and keeps you happy. Aameen.

Wassalm.

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum abdalilah

Jazka'Allah for sharing you words of encouragement. It made me think about how much Allah is there for us, and how we chose to suffer in silence all the time. I pray Allah keeps you on the straight path, and forever keeps you protected from evil. Aameen.

Jazka'Allah once again.

Wassalam.

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum Safiya

I like to begin by saying Jazka'Allah for responding, and for your advice which is benefiting me. Masha'Allah 'Palestines' posts were very helpful, so was sister hasana, Masha'Allah it was a really good help, and i am going to use it for my self - help. Jazka'Allah. I pray Allah keeps you happy, and has mercy on your soul. Aameen.

Wassalam.

slave_of_Allah

Assalamu alikum Podolski11

I don't feel alone now, knowing that you have an eating disorder. How do you deal with it? I pray Allah makes it easy for all of us, and keeps you in the best of health at all times. Aameen.

Jazka'Allah for letting me in. Its nice to know that i am not suffering alone. :)

Wassalam.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Assalamu alikum Asja

Jazka'Allah for your post, it is really nice. your words were very meaningful, and i know i can ask you for help, Masha'Allah you seem like a really nice person. I pray Allah blesses you and keeps you happy. Aameen.

Wassalm.

:wasalam: dear sister Slave of Allah.

You are most welcome dear sister and I am very glade sister if I could help you some how,and it is only my duty dear sister and may happiness.:)

Ameen dear sister for your duas and I pray for you the same.

Salam

Hasana jafreen

all praise 2 allah
:salam2:
u will always be there in duas sister.soon u will be alright.always remember "laabahusa takooron insha allah" that is all our pain is purification.our pain reduces our sins.pray allah he will never leave us.he surely will answer our duas.we definitely will feel that magic.insha allah.u will be alright.may the almighty bless u :wasalam: