Article Is this taking things too far?

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Allah, the Mighty and Majestic revealed many ayaat (verses / signs) in the Quran about the esteemed status of women and evil of those who do not like girls and even bury infant girls alive:

"And when the news of (the birth of) a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonor or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision." (Quran: An-Nahl 16:58-59)

When people start selecting traits for their children, then it brings about a lot of ethical questions. In certain societies there is an unhealthy desire for boys over girls. Some people would go further and try to choose eye colour, hair colour or skin colour. Maybe a couple choose to terminate the pregnancy if the baby was deemed to not grow and be an athlete or with an IQ greater than 120.

zaman-gm

When people start selecting traits for their children, then it brings about a lot of ethical questions. In certain societies there is an unhealthy desire for boys over girls. Some people would go further and try to choose eye colour, hair colour or skin colour. Maybe a couple choose to terminate the pregnancy if the baby was deemed to not grow and be an athlete or with an IQ greater than 120.

What surprise!!!! Crazy. just crazy.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
I'm just amazed at the technological advancement or should I say corruption, that is happening. It's actually scary the things people are attempting to achieve. May Allah protect us all.

Um Ibrahim

Alhamdulilah :)
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

Allah, the Mighty and Majestic revealed many ayaat (verses / signs) in the Quran about the esteemed status of women and evil of those who do not like girls and even bury infant girls alive:

"And when the news of (the birth of) a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonor or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision." (Quran: An-Nahl 16:58-59)

that's exactly what that "doctor" wants to expriment with now. Choosing your child's eye color. This going to be dangerous.

Precious Star

I think these parents, especially the mother, are very egotistical and selfish. "I was mourning the child I never had" ??? Please lady, you don't know the pain of not having a child.

Sometimes sex selection is useful where there is a genetic abnormality that is only carried by one gender. In those situations I would not have an ethical problem with it.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
Salam alaykum

Shouldn´t we just accept that Allah knows the best and that every child is a gift from Allah? Similar ethical problems parents have when it is possible to study if unborn child has serious diseases or mental detardation.

zaman-gm

When we (ppl) try to do anything against natural process we make it Ugly.
Now we start to make our self ugly in spite of the selection of beauty that chosen by Allah swt. This is dangerous to run for fantasy. May Allah Guide us.

Talibilm

Salaam everyone.

I just read an interesting article on Yahoo parenting about an Australian couple who did a sex selection in order to have a baby girl. What do u all think especially from an Islamic perspective?

Here's the link for the article: https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/couple-spends-50k-to-choose-babys-sex-shining-104416191847.html

Its not 100 % successful untill I know because a Couple was confirmed about a boy but it was a Girl. So I dont think its 100% confirmed as it is propogandanised proving Allah swt is the FINAL DECIDER .

Abu Juwairiya

Its also about where the boundary lies. If we start choosing eye, hair and skin colour as opposed to just the gender, where will it lead. What is it to say we will want and urge medical practitioners to look into developing some changes in determining the baby's intelligence, weight, character or even his/her preferences long before the child is born or conceived. As others have already said, nature and natural selection should be left to Allah alone and our own personal interference may create a greater imbalance genetically or otherwise and actually result in more harm than good.