Islam as a political ideology

TiLK

So maybe we can talk if there are any islamic states already at this time. Which they are and where why the other are not.

tabaria

So maybe we can talk if there are any islamic states already at this time. Which they are and where why the other are not.

You can't have multiple islamic states. You can only have one, anything else is just a farce. God himself prescribed the way that Islamic governments should work. The quran and sunnah are full of economic, political, and foreign policy. They are there for a reason.

TiLK

There is a lot of talks about Islam and its compatibility/discompatibility with liberal democracy. I was thinking these days that until the real islamic goverment will be established, democracy may be the best organization of government. Let me explain it. One of piliers of islam is supposed to be peace and tolerance. And I think in multicultural world it is democracy, as the equality of everyone, the best solution. So when we look at it from the right direction, maybe Islam is not only against democracy, but in fact it has many similar points with it.

TiLK

I have one more question. As you said, there are ways how to judge nonmuslims in islamic states. What about atheists? They have no religion which woud be used as a guide to judge them. What would happen than?

TiLK

I have a new question.

In islamic state, only muslims are treated by islamic law sharia. Members of other religions are treated by their law. What will happen, if some muslim is going to be punished by islamic law and he/she says "I changed my mind, I am not muslim now". What will happen? Will he"she be free?

The source os Islamic law are the Quran & Sunnah (teachings & examples of Prophet Muhammad - pbuh)

There is no such thing as a perfect sharia country. There's no such thing as utopia on earth.

Ideal Muslims create Ideal families. Ideal families create ideal societies. Ideal societies create ideal governments.

Example of sharia law countries include but not limited are Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Pakistan, etc.

There is a lot of talks about Islam and its compatibility/discompatibility with liberal democracy. I was thinking these days that until the real islamic goverment will be established, democracy may be the best organization of government. Let me explain it. One of piliers of islam is supposed to be peace and tolerance. And I think in multicultural world it is democracy, as the equality of everyone, the best solution. So when we look at it from the right direction, maybe Islam is not only against democracy, but in fact it has many similar points with it.

Many of the fundamental teaching of the Quran such as "freedom of religion" written in the Constitution was borrowed by Thomas Jefferson. Much of the English common law is derived from the Quran as well because the Norman's influence came from Islamic law. Contract laws, justice system, state & individiual freedom, property law, women's rights, etc have Islamic influence in Democracy & English common law.

The question is how do you define "Democracy." Is it democratic for a state to hold innocent human beings in Guantanamo with no charges in prison without legal proceeding and still be called democracy? Is it democractic for a country to invade and bombard a country without any cause and still be called democracy? Democracy might as well be called hypocracy. Please examine democracy carefully you'll unravel it's myths, contradictions, and hypocracy and this is not just by reading the law but looking at the actions of the leaders who believe such a system. Cherl Bernard is a prime example. You'll be shocked. You'll be confused.

Tilk - you have very good questions and it requires a lot of research and history check. The best place for you to start your journey of Islam is by reading the Quran. You have to understand the fundamentals before examing the more sophiscated ideas.

You might like these videos:

Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet

Islam: Empire of Faith

Best wishes,

TheHumbleWun

TiLK

In a link that somebody on TTI gave me I found this:
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/320/

"Christians and Jews, upon payment of a nominal tax, were allowed religious freedom and, while maintaining their status as non-Muslims, were associate members of the Muslim state. This status did not apply to polytheists, who could not be tolerated within a community that worshipped the One God."

I would like to ask you, how polytheists and athesists should be treated in an Islamic state?