Islamophobia in Canada

umm hussain

Islamophobia in Canada
Abdulaziz Al-Suweigh • Al-Madinah,

The Canadian newspaper Ottawa Citizen published a groundbreaking study by Ontario’s largest student group on March 22. The study accuses universities and colleges of downplaying the growing incidents of hostility and hate-motivated violence toward Muslim students in the five years after 9/11.

There is a great deal of racism and religious discrimination that sometimes manifests itself in physical attacks against Muslim women in particular. Women wearing the hijab are subjected to different types of humiliation and are accused of being ignorant. There are many similar incidents that take place inside classrooms when students or teachers direct negative criticism at Islam and Muslims.

It is known that Canada has a diverse population that includes people from across the world. It also relies on immigration to increase its population. Its citizens are no more than 31 million. Therefore, Canada welcomes immigrants, an ethos that stems from the country’s constitution and has become a solid tradition in Canadian life.

Immigrants are given all the privileges given to born Canadians the minute they arrive in the country. This includes everything except voting rights, which are only given after nationality is awarded.

That is why Canada considers the issue of equality, justice and equal opportunities among its citizens a political issue and a basic foundation of its policies. All Canadian political streams do not hesitate to defend Canadian citizens, regardless of what their background, origin, or religion is.

The fact that this study addresses the issue of hate-motivated violence toward Muslim students is an indication that Canada is a transparent country that does not shy away from defending all of its citizens regardless.

The case of Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen of Syrian origin, is the best example to illustrate this Canadian approach. Arar was detained by the US immigration authorities based on wrong information provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Despite carrying a Canadian passport, he was forcibly sent to Syria where he was imprisoned for a year and tortured until his release on Oct. 5, 2003.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper apologized to Arar and his family for the erroneous detention. The government even compensated him with $8.9 million.

This type of behavior is the modern way of doing things, it is responsible and respectful to the rights of humans and worthy of appreciation.

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Islamophobia in Canada
Abdulaziz Al-Suweigh • Al-Madinah,

The Canadian newspaper Ottawa Citizen published a groundbreaking study by Ontario’s largest student group on March 22. The study accuses universities and colleges of downplaying the growing incidents of hostility and hate-motivated violence toward Muslim students in the five years after 9/11.

There is a great deal of racism and religious discrimination that sometimes manifests itself in physical attacks against Muslim women in particular. Women wearing the hijab are subjected to different types of humiliation and are accused of being ignorant. There are many similar incidents that take place inside classrooms when students or teachers direct negative criticism at Islam and Muslims.

It is known that Canada has a diverse population that includes people from across the world. It also relies on immigration to increase its population. Its citizens are no more than 31 million. Therefore, Canada welcomes immigrants, an ethos that stems from the country’s constitution and has become a solid tradition in Canadian life.

Immigrants are given all the privileges given to born Canadians the minute they arrive in the country. This includes everything except voting rights, which are only given after nationality is awarded.

That is why Canada considers the issue of equality, justice and equal opportunities among its citizens a political issue and a basic foundation of its policies. All Canadian political streams do not hesitate to defend Canadian citizens, regardless of what their background, origin, or religion is.

The fact that this study addresses the issue of hate-motivated violence toward Muslim students is an indication that Canada is a transparent country that does not shy away from defending all of its citizens regardless.

The case of Maher Arar, a Canadian citizen of Syrian origin, is the best example to illustrate this Canadian approach. Arar was detained by the US immigration authorities based on wrong information provided by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Despite carrying a Canadian passport, he was forcibly sent to Syria where he was imprisoned for a year and tortured until his release on Oct. 5, 2003.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper apologized to Arar and his family for the erroneous detention. The government even compensated him with $8.9 million.

This type of behavior is the modern way of doing things, it is responsible and respectful to the rights of humans and worthy of appreciation.

AssalaamuAlaikum,

Till now, I peronsally consider Canada to be much better than Europe, Australia and USA.

Wasslaam,
VE

oumyaquine

Fière de ma religion
:salam2: Can anybody explain to me why Kafirs are used to think that wearing our hijab make us ignorants:wasalam:

proud muslim

Assalamu alaikum,

well oumyaquine i guess thats because its something new to them and to their culture that they can't digest or understand completely, so they try to convince themselves by the only meaning they can accept..which is that its a means of oppression...and by the way thats another form of ignorance that i guess we muslims owe to change

Assalamu alaikum

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
:salam2: Can anybody explain to me why Kafirs are used to think that wearing our hijab make us ignorants:wasalam:

AssalaamuAlaikum,

That is called 'societal mindset', which forces you to do makeup so that you dont look normal but look attractive. And forces you to wear miniskirt so that you can look formal. Hence, your own wishes are arrested by the 'way' with which people look at you and judge you.

On the other hand, Islam liberates you from such absured traps of society and you juts make your body your own business and you are judged by your character and not by how do you look. If you are not so beautifu, whould you like that those girls who are more beautiful they should be respected and liked and you are hated? Or would you like every girl and women treated equally? Thats the equality Islam gives to the women and thats the liberation.

That Western Society's mind is stuck in the miniskirts and is buried in the layers of makup so a women who does not let them see her body and enjoy their lust, that women will be considred an awkward lady who can not adjust into their society.

Wasslaam,
VE

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salam,

As long as we state we are Muslims we are also saying : I do not believe in captialism, I believe each and every human being deserves good, we are not born in sin, i will not oppress another human being...
Canada has its history of rape and plundering of the Tribal Nations. When a country is concieved by killing for the sake of money...it is built by stones of inequilty..they don't want immigrants...they need them to perfom a function...

Secondly,

As long as you keep a woman as an object of sex you keep her a second class citizen. You neuter her ability to be taken seriously as a human being. When the average man is busy looking up the legs of a woman he does not have time to think about where is taxes are going..building nuclear warheads.
A woman in hijab will make a man think!!!!

boupj

Asalaamu Alaikum
The reason they see it as ignorance is because they impose a western mindset on a non-western idea. So, for example, in the west during the victorian ages women were covered completely (not their faces and not usually their head but their bodies were covered) at that time women were viewed as children without mature minds and wives were considered property of their husbands, who couldn't own property, vote, or even keep their own name. They assume that because that's what happened with the women in the west (or Christian women) when they were covered it must be the same for Muslim women.

It basically stems from a lack of understanding of Islam, we had an Islamic awareness day at my school and people were shocked to see that the Quran clearly outlines women's rights to vote, inherit, work (and keep her money), receive a dowry (which she keeps if her husband divorces her), vote, go to school, keep her own name, and get a divorce. Because these rights weren't clearly granted within the Christian tradition they assume it must be so within the Muslim tradition. Many people have spite towards all religion because of a negative historical experience within their own religion.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asalaamu Alaikum
. Many people have spite towards all religion because of a negative historical experience within their own religion.

i agree . In addition, Some of them do not see the need to have a religion...

But religion gives us a meaning in life."What are we here for".. We do things for the sake of god...

apocalypse77

Many people have spite towards all religion because of a negative historical experience within their own religion.

in this time and age there are pple who dont see the need for religion.ive got a couple of non muslim friends in my school who beleive religos ar ejust passed down from their ancestors and they are all seem like myths and fairytales to them and therefore had abandoned their religions(hindu,chinese folk religions,christian etc)

but i thank islam because islam does provide pple with the proof and hard evidence that it is the right religion