January 4th

Exactly 1 year ago from today:

On Thursday, January 4, 2007, Keith Ellison from the 5th Congressional District of Minnesota was sworn in as a Democrat Member of the 110th Congress amid the media fanfare of being the first Muslim elected to Congress.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6127234.stm

It's interesting that Congressman Ellison took his ceremonial oath of office on the Quran owned by Thomas Jefferson. A pertinent question might be: Why did Jefferson own a Quran? See more information on next post.

There were numerous Muslims living in America at the time of the American Founding. Islam had been introduced into America during the early 1600s with the entrance of slavery. Many of these slaves were Muslims and retained their Islamic faith.

Thomas Jefferson's Qur'an

Muslim Congressman Took Oath of Office on Thomas Jefferson's Quran.
Keith Ellison finds book symbolic of U.S. founding fathers' religious tolerance

Jeferson-QuranIncoming Minnesota Representative Keith Ellison became the first Muslim member of the U.S. Congress January 4, 2007. swearing his oath of office on a copy of the Quran that belonged to the author of the Declaration of Independence and the third president of the United States, Thomas Jefferson. "Look at that. That's something else," Ellison, D-Minn., said as officials from the Library of Congress showed him the two-volume Quran, which was published in London in 1764.

Ellison took the ceremonial oath with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., at his side. So many of Ellison's family members attended the ceremony that it was done in two takes.

Ellison had already planned to be sworn in using a Quran, rather than a Bible. He learned recently about Jefferson's Quran, with its multicolored cover and brown leather binding, and arranged to borrow it.

In a recent interview, Ellison spokesman Rick Jauert said the choice of Jefferson's Quran was significant because it "dates religious tolerance back to the time of our founding fathers."

"Jefferson was ... one of the more profound thinkers of the time, who recognized even then that there was nothing to fear, and in fact there was strength in recognizing religious tolerance," he said.

Although the Library of Congress is right across the street from the Capitol, library officials took extra precautions in delivering the Quran for the ceremony. To protect it from the elements, they placed the Quran in a rectangular box and handled it with a green felt wrapper once inside the Capitol.

Instead of using surface streets, they walked it over via a series of winding, underground tunnels - a trip that took more than 15 minutes. Guards then ran the book through security machines at the Capitol.

The Quran was acquired in 1815 as part of a more than 6,400-volume collection that Jefferson sold for $24,000 to replace the congressional library that had been burned by British troops the year before, in the War of 1812. Jefferson, the nation's third president, was a collector of books in all topics and languages.

The book's leather binding was added in 1919. Inside, it reads, "The Koran", Jefferson marked his ownership by writing the letter "J" next to the letter "T" that was already at the bottom of pages, according to Mark Dimunation, chief of the Library of Congress' rare book and special collections division.

Ellison, the first black member of Congress from Minnesota, was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college. He said earlier this week that he chose to use this Quran because it showed that a visionary like Jefferson believed that wisdom could be gleaned from many sources.

Some critics have argued that only a Bible should be used for the swearing-in. Last month, Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode, R-Va., warned that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow Ellison's lead.

Ellison approached Goode on the House floor Thursday, introducing himself and offering to meet for coffee. According to Ellison, Goode said he'd be interested in doing that. The subject of Goode's comments didn't come up, Ellison said.

"Look, we're trying to build bridges," Ellison said. "We're trying to help bring about understanding. We don't want issues of misunderstanding and division to exist if they don't have to."

Jefferson's 6,000-volume personal library was the largest in North America at the turn of the 19th century. He obtained his English translation of the Quran in 1765 as he was finishing his law studies at the College of William and Mary. The translation by British historian and solicitor George Sale first was published in 1734. The Quran, along with the rest of Jefferson's books, became the basis of the Library of Congress after British troops burned the U.S. Capitol, destroying the old congressional collection in the War of 1812.

While Jefferson is best known for writing the Declaration of Independence, he also penned the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, which served as a basis for the religion clauses in the U.S. Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the Virginia statute, he wrote, "Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, any more than our opinions in physics or geometry." He went on to say that denying a person the ability to hold an office of trust or declaring him unworthy of public confidence based on his religious beliefs was a violation of natural rights.

The document demanded "that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinion in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

It is believed that Jefferson was inspired by the teaching of the Quran, prohibiting compulsion in religion and forcing religious doctrines. Also the foundation for "all men are created Equal" and "men are born free" are some of the indications for the Quran as a source for guidance "no compulsion in religion" Quran 2:256.

The Qur'an is "definitely an important historical document in our national history and demonstrates that Jefferson was a broad visionary thinker who not only possessed a Qur'an, but read it," Ellison said in an interview with the Free Press. "It would have been something that contributed to his own thinking." Ellison also said that Jefferson's Qur'an "shows that from the earliest times of this republic, the Qur'an was in the consciousness of people who brought about democracy."

The statute was one of Jefferson's proudest achievements. He instructed that his tombstone should not refer to him as president of the United States but should remember him only as the author of the Declaration of Independence and the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, and the founder of the University of Virginia.

http://www.muslimbridges.org/content/view/453/

dianek

Asalaam Aleykum!!!!

That is awesome, Thomas Jefferson's house, Monticello, is just an hour from me. I had no idea of the ties he has to the Qu'ran........very enlightening! Thanks for Sharing!

Salaam,

I'm glad you found it enlightening sister Diane.

Thomas Jefferson purchased George Sale's English translation, The Koran, Commonly Called the Alcoran of Mohammed. Since this Quran was published before the U.S. Civil War - now I am just wondering if this was actually the same copy of the Quran used by Colonel Johnston, as stated in a post by Bluegazer:

What happened next has become a part of the University of Alabama’s mythic fabric. It is said that Colonel Johnston, lamenting the destruction of such a fine library, decided to salvage one volume as a memento. Perhaps he sent one of his aides, or perhaps he sent Librarian Deloffre, or perhaps he went himself, to take one book from the library. The book saved was an English translation of The Koran: Commonly Called The Alcoran Of Mohammed, published in Philadelphia in 1853.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8850

koranenglish.jpg

Albint_Almuslima

Im Proud 2 B Me!
:salam2:

:ma:No one knows whats in the hearts of others but he subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Jefferson owned a Quran? Subhan Allah! but why?

"wisdom could be gleaned from many sources." I really liked this part and i believe its true especially with the Quran because it is the only book that carries true wisdom.

:salam2:

:ma:No one knows whats in the hearts of others but he subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Jefferson owned a Quran? Subhan Allah! but why?

"wisdom could be gleaned from many sources." I really liked this part and i believe its true especially with the Quran because it is the only book that carries true wisdom.

Salaam,

It looks like Jefferson found the Quran appealing because he was studying law and was open minded person who loved reading books. It looks like he also found Pufendorf's work (see below) as something that led him to the Quran.

Located on the north side of the Duke of Gloucester Street, the printing office of the Virginia Gazette had lured Thomas Jefferson within its doors countless times since he first came to Williamsburg to study at the College of William and Mary. Back in Williamsburg for the fall session of the General Court in 1765, Jefferson was busy reading law and helping George Wythe prepare cases for trial. His own formal legal training was coming to a close. The surviving Virginia Gazette daybooks hint that he was studying for his bar examination in early autumn, when he purchased a copy of Grounds and Rudiments of Law and Equity, a general survey that would have made an ideal study guide (Dewey 119). On another visit to the Gazette office this autumn, Jefferson purchased a copy of the Qur'an, specifically, George Sale's English translation, The Koran, Commonly Called the Alcoran of Mohammed, recently republished in a handy two-volume edition (Virginia, fol. 202).

Jefferson's purchase of the Qur'an at this time may have been inspired by his legal studies, too
. The interest in natural law he developed as a student encouraged him to pursue his readings in this area as widely as possible. The standard work in the field, Frieherr von Pufendorf's Of the Law and Nature and Nations, gave readers an almost endless number of possible references to track down and thus offered Jefferson an excellent guide to further reading. Pufendorf's treatise is rife with citations to diverse sources extending well beyond legal and political tracts and including works from many different times, places, and cultures.

Though Pufendorf's work reflects a prejudice against Islam characteristic of the time in which it was written, he nonetheless cited precedent from the Qur'an in several instances. Discussing the issue of murder and revenge, for example, Pufendorf referred to a passage from the Qur'an and, furthering his argument, linked the passage to similar ones from the works of Homer and Tacitus in order to emphasize ideas they shared (324). In addition, Pufendorf found the Qur'an pertinent to a number of other important issues: adultery, laws of succession, marriage, the prohibition of gambling, the prohibition of wine, and the validity of warfare.

Regarding this last issue, Pufendorf could not help but admit that the Qur'an contained advice pertinent to readers of all nations: "And Christians should all the more zealously undertake to compose the quarrels of others, because even the Koran ... teaches that if two Moslem nations and countries engage one another in war, the rest shall make peace between them, and compel him who committed the injury to offer satisfaction; and when this is done, bring them by fair and good means to friendship" (831). To be sure, the call for peace and cooperation Pufendorf found in the Qur'an deserves the attention he gives it. Jefferson's surviving legal papers show that he came to know Pufendorf's Of the Law of Nature and Nations thoroughly. No other work does he cite more frequently in his legal writings (Dewey 65). Pufendorf's work revealed the relevance of the Qur'an to the interpretation of the law.

Jefferson acquired his Qur'an not long after the injustice of the Stamp Act had forced him to question seriously the heritage of English constitutional law and to seek ultimate answers in the ideas of natural law and natural rights. Given the fact that he was devoting most of his time to the study of law, Jefferson could justify studying the Qur'an simultaneously because it, too, was a law book. Being, as Muslims believe, the revealed word of God, the Qur'an not only constitutes the sacred scripture of the Islamic faith, it also forms the supreme source of Islamic law. Wanting to broaden his legal studies as much as possible, Jefferson found the Qur'an well worth his attention.

Reading the Qur'an also let him continue studying the history of religion. Entries he made in his literary commonplace book about the same time he purchased Sale's Koran show that he was seeking to reconcile contradictions between history and scripture that were becoming increasingly apparent to him.
His curiosity about Islam is consistent with the interest the commonplace book reflects regarding how traditional religious customs and beliefs are transmitted from one culture to another. Passages from Herodotus Jefferson copied into his book in late 1765, for instance, show him attempting to reconcile how the practice of circumcision - a Jewish custom that, according to the Old Testament, was mandated by God as a token of his covenant with the Jewish people - could be found in ancient times from Egypt to Syria (Wilson 23).

http://www.iviews.com/articles/articles.asp?ref=IV0701-3221&p=1

Mairo

Maryama
Masha'Allah, thank you for the reminder about Keith Ellison's election to the Sentate. I was so pleased when I heard about it last year. I did know that he had sworn in using the copy of Thomas Jefferson's Quran, but I did not know anything about the history of how Jefferson came to have a copy. Thank you for sharing some of the history about it, very interesting to read.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The video was deep. It explains a lot. Do let us know what you come up with. It helps us to realize there was nothing major about the Quran being in North America at the time of Thomas Jefferson as there had been copies of the Quran here for two hundred years prior to the Colonial Era.

Mairo

Maryama
Salam,

I just watched the video as well. It reminded me of a related article I read not too long ago which suprised me, because I had previously had no knowledge that there were any Native Americans who had been Muslim.

from http://www.themodernreligion.com/convert/convert_namuslims.htm

Native American Muslims
The Message, July 1996
My name is Mahir Abdal-Razzaaq El and I am a Cherokee Blackfoot American Indian who is Muslim. I am known as Eagle Sun Walker. I serve as a Pipe Carrier Warrior for the Northeastern Band of Cherokee Indians in New York City.
There are other Muslims in our group. For the most part, not many people are aware of the Native American contact with Islam that began over one thousand years ago by some of the early Muslim travelers who visited us. Some of these Muslim travelers ended up living among our people.

For most Muslims and non-Muslims of today, this type of information is unknown and has never been mentioned in any of the history books. There are many documents, treaties, legislation and resolutions that were passed between 1600s and 1800s that show that Muslims were in fact here and were very active in the comunities in which they lived. Treaties such as Peace and Friendship that was signed on the Delaware River in the year 1787 bear the signatures of Abdel-Khak and Muhammad Ibn Abdullah. This treaty detailes our continued right to exist as a community in the areas of commerce, maritime shipping, current form of government at that time which was in accordance with Islam. According to a federal court case from the Continental Congress, we help put the breath of life in to the newly framed constitution. All of the documents are presently in the National Archives as well as the Library of Congress.

If you have access to records in the state of South Carolina, read the Moors Sundry Act of 1790. In a future article, Inshallah, I will go in to more details about the various tribes, their languages; in which some are influenced by Arabic, Persian, Hebrew words. Almost all of the tribes vocabulary include the word Allah. The traditional dress code for Indian women includes the kimah and long dresses. For men, standard fare is turbans and long tops that come down to the knees. If you were to look at any of the old books on Cherokee clothing up until the time of 1832, you will see the men wearing turbans and the women wearing long head coverings. The last Cherokee chief who had a Muslim name was Ramadhan Ibn Wati of the Cherokees in 1866.

Cities across the United States and Canada bear names that are of Indian and Islamic derivation. Have you ever wondered what the name Tallahassee means? It means that He Allah will deliver you sometime in the future.

I have long respected and appreciated the Native American value system and find so much of their cuture and traditional way of life beautiful. I had always imagined that merging Native American culture with Islam would be a wonderful combination, and I was especially glad to hear that it did in fact exist in this country! Allahu Akbar

I find it very unfortunate that we do not learn these kind of stories with the history taught in mainstream schools. Most of what is taught is very selective and for the most part "Euro-centric".

Related to the introduction of Islam to America from some of the African slaves, I recently watched the entire series of Alex Haley's Roots, which was first broadcast on TV many years ago. It too relates an important part of American history, which is often unknown or ignored in traditional history classes. I would highly recommend watching the series of movies, or reading the book, if you can! (In addition to Roots and other writings, Alex Haley is also the man responsible for writing the biography of Malcom X.)

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

When I was in my early thirties I had an epiphany that most of what I was taught was errorneous. Imagine my surprise after graduate school. I threw out all my text books and philosphy books. I stopped reading fiction. I told myself I would seek the Truth. I was angry for sometime. Then with time I realized I would speak the Truth and fight for the Truth. Slowly, the Truth is begining to manifest itself to me. Therefore, I have no choice but to share.
History is written by the victors. We also need a voice for the oppressed who have wondeful histories that will be shared.

Salam,

Cities across the United States and Canada bear names that are of Indian and Islamic derivation. Have you ever wondered what the name Tallahassee means? It means that He Allah will deliver you sometime in the future.

Salaam,

That's pretty interesting. I didn't know.

Here are a few towns & cities in the U.S. that has it's names driven from the Middle East origin:

Lebanan, New Hampshire
Bagdad, California
Palmyra, Georgia. The original Palmyra, in Syria, was a prosperous caravan city during the Roman era.
Bagdad, Arizona
Mecca, California
Arabia, Nebraska
Aladdin, Wyoming
Sultan, Washington
Lebanon, Kansas
Lebanon, Tennessee
Babylon, New York
Palestine, Texas
Medina, Ohio
Mecca, Ohio
Memphis,Tennessee named for the one-time capital of ancient Egypt- Memphis, Egypt.

Iowa has a Lebanon in the southeast part of the state, and a second Lebanon in the far northwest.Another Iowa small town called Tripoli: One is in Lebanon, the other in Libya.

The stories of American towns with Middle Eastern names speak of the daring, industry, faith and fortitude of the nation's early settlers.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
salaam

Although i'm not an american got to say This is incredible stuff = Thomas Jefferson and Tolstoy.

peace

AleahKoto

Allah will decide
Because....

Contrary to popular thought, America is built on Islamic principles-
Freedom, the right to democracy, the right to believe in any religion without coercion, that all men/women are created equal, the right to education, the right for freedom of speech, the right to think and reason, the right for liberty and the pursuit of happiness, etc. It is that some warmongers decided to start running the nation and took it out of its intended purpose.

a good book to read would be "Whats Right with Islam is Whats Right with America"

Islam has shaped the US in many ways.