Job interview - shaking hands!

subhanallah

:salam2:

What to do if you're having an employment interview with someone of the opposite gender? How do you avoid the handshaking part in the best manner?

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
walaikum as salam wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
just tell that its against the law and order of The Creator. We as Muslims are not allowed to do that.Simple and basic.
Ma saalam.

Libinette

Umm Zubayr

Just smile and say, soory i don't shake hands with the opposite gender and then you finish off by saying: var ee du!! nah, just jocking :lol:

take care sister
:wasalam:

loveislam1

Asalam Alikoum wa rahamtallah

Our imam had a lecture about this in which he gave an example, he actually sent an email to the interviewer and told them that he was not allowed to shake the hand of a person of the opposite sex. By doing that he said if it made her angy she never would interview him anyway. She interviewed him and actually gave him the position and told him that she gave him the position not because his creditials because actually more people had better resumes but because of his character values and honesty.

Subhanallah do what ALLAH subhana wa ta'ala wants and leave the rest to HIM

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Asalam Alikoum wa rahamtallah

Our imam had a lecture about this in which he gave an example, he actually sent an email to the interviewer and told them that he was not allowed to shake the hand of a person of the opposite sex. By doing that he said if it made her angy she never would interview him anyway. She interviewed him and actually gave him the position and told him that she gave him the position not because his creditials because actually more people had better resumes but because of his character values and honesty.

Subhanallah do what ALLAH subhana wa ta'ala wants and leave the rest to HIM
That was a good idea sister loveislam. I think you should do what the Imam did sister Subhanallah. If you don't have their email, then just call them. It'll help a lot then waiting till the interview and then they hold out your hand and you refuse and say no at that time. It'll make things look better if you tell them days before the interview.

And if you want, maybe you can have a male family member like your brother go with you. It's not good for sisters to stay alone with men.

And Allah knows best. And also brother Shaheed (Maybe that should'be been MY name, because I've always wanted to be a Shaheed. :lol:) that was a good point that you made.

ShaheedU

Extinct
And Allah knows best. And also brother Shaheed (Maybe that should'be been MY name, because I've always wanted to be a Shaheed. :lol:) that was a good point that you made.

InshaAllaah we will both be Shaheed.

Man, ive always wanted someone to ask 'Are you Shaheed?'
So i could reply 'Not yet, but soon inshaAllaah'.;)

Instead i have my friends calling me 'Shaheed apparently'

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
well u have a good chance cos apparently ure name has an impact on ure character...(inshallah.)
i wish i was called sumayyah (darn)

but no matter ill still manage it somehow ;)

subhanallah

Just smile and say, soory i don't shake hands with the opposite gender and then you finish off by saying: var ee du!! nah, just jocking :lol:

take care sister

Haha! Oh yeah that'll work! "Hi, sorry - I can't shake hands with the opposite gender but heeey.. where are you (=the meaning of 'var är/e du')?!"

Thank you everyone for your tips! The interview is tomorrow inshallah so it's a bit too late to call, but I'll try explaining while I'm there. And yes, the being alone with the interviewer part is another problem.. Inshallah we won't be alone - I've heard that usually several people attain the interview (sometimes up to 5) so inshallah the "boss" won't be the only one there. (unfortunately my brother can't follow me - mental illnesses)

Jazakum Allahu kheyra for your help!

ShaheedU

Extinct
InshaAllaah that interview will go well, may Allaah make it easy for you, Ameen.

well u have a good chance cos apparently ure name has an impact on ure character...(inshallah.)
i wish i was called sumayyah (darn)

but no matter ill still manage it somehow ;)

Yeh i heard you take on half the attribute of your name, however i have yet to see proof for it, but seeing as i havent been looking...

What does sumayyah mean? Im guessing it doesnt mean darn!

Libinette

Umm Zubayr

i love saying var ee du!! even tough it just mean where are you!!

i know i'm weird!!

Good luck sister

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
InshaAllaah that interview will go well, may Allaah make it easy for you, Ameen.

Yeh i heard you take on half the attribute of your name, however i have yet to see proof for it, but seeing as i havent been looking...

What does sumayyah mean? Im guessing it doesnt mean darn!

lol, she was the first shaheed of Islam..she was killed by Abu Jahl in mecca in front of her son Ammar.

'shaheed' is an actual arabic word whereas summayyah is now more of a title

...same with the name Omar, aparently people with that name are formidable(like Omar ibn al khattab) but its not got a meaning as such...?

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Try an Oriental style bow instead ;)

Seriously, this is a minor issue, wouldn't you say? On the list of things a Muslim watches out for, handshaking is probably at the bottom of the list! :rolleyes:

Most interviewers recognize that a firm handshake between two opposite sexes is improper, thus the handshake will most likely be very light and quick. Nothing to fuss about.

++Ayman

it IS very uncomfortable u no...what if like theres a prize giving cermony and the guest speaker is male..(has happened!) u cant stand in front of 200 people and proclaim ure absolute disgust at hanshaking!

well u actually could do that....

Maria Norway

Shaking hands in job interviews

As-salamu Alaikum!!

I hope you are all well in health and iman!!

I just read a thread regarding wether women can shake hands with men...and the answer was that we should not.

My question is:

What do you do if you go for a job interview and the boss is a man and he reaches out to shake your hand???

From experience, this is normal curtesy when meeting new people, and especially in a job inerview situation...

What to do???

Salam

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member

sister, we had this discussion yesterday....and i think the overwhelming opinion is to assert ureself and say no to the person, event though it may sound rude, but also to explain why so they dont take it personally.