Job interview - shaking hands!

OnlyOne

Just say something intelligent in which they have to comply:

"Out of respect for you and my religion, it is Muslim etiquitte to not have social contact between men and women."

Not only does it sound professional, they may be confused and forget to shake your hand altogether. Either way, it does the job. :D

suumaya

Asalamu alaykum

That actually happened to me yesterday, we did good Job at work so my new manager who don't know much about me or my Deen wanted to shake hands with me so i just told him that i made wodu and if i shake hands with him then i have to do it all over again which i did not wanted so he just said that is ok!!! i was rushing at the time so didn't want to say hell no and then explain why.

Halloween Harry

With this talk of assertiveness, you do realise you are talking about slapping away a hand that welcomes you right ?

I'd rather stand there with an awkward smile & explain it after the interview or after I got to know the person a bit.

Even though I'm in a muslim country, this situation DOES arrise sometimes, I take the awkward way out. I just can't confront someone with my PERSONAL choice when they are extending a courteous hand to me.

I'm muslim, but if a muslim girl sent me an email before a meeting with that kind of " I assert that it is NOT MY CUSTOM to shake hands with you if you so do extend one. Out of respect for MY RELIGION, you shall NOT in any way, extend a welcoming hand of friendship".

I would turn this person down for being a self absorbed, self-centered brute that lacks the finesse to deal with people.

I would rather apologise to that person for putting her in the uncomfortable situation & explain it there, lest she think I was some kind of xenophobic introvert.

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
With this talk of assertiveness, you do realise you are talking about slapping away a hand that welcomes you right ?

I'd rather stand there with an awkward smile & explain it after the interview or after I got to know the person a bit.

Even though I'm in a muslim country, this situation DOES arrise sometimes, I take the awkward way out. I just can't confront someone with my PERSONAL choice when they are extending a courteous hand to me.

its not a personal choice its a religious rule.

''after the interview''' ?

well that means uve already broken the rule doesnt it? whats the point?

Also how about a prize giving cermony...?

the guest speaker is male and we have to go shake his hand accept a bible from him??? maaaad! and there are like 300 people sitting there and i dont think id get a chance to explain in a hurry...

hussain.mahammed

a lonely traveller
As salamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wabrakatuhu
Harry, it depends how you want to react. personally I think, I have voiced my opinion.
wa/salam

Jihan

OI think the easiest and most straightful thing to say is as a muslim i don't shake hands with the opposite gender. On the first day i said this to the boss and everytime it came to something like handing me things and high fives he would remember and say that's right and he'd be careful to hand me something or he'd stop himself (from giving me high five). so you want to let them know, so when you work with them they will be aware at all times.

subhanallah

Just say something intelligent in which they have to comply:

"Out of respect for you and my religion, it is Muslim etiquitte to not have social contact between men and women."

Not only does it sound professional, they may be confused and forget to shake your hand altogether. Either way, it does the job. :D

Oh I love that!!
*memorizing*

subhanallah

OI think the easiest and most straightful thing to say is as a muslim i don't shake hands with the opposite gender. On the first day i said this to the boss and everytime it came to something like handing me things and high fives he would remember and say that's right and he'd be careful to hand me something or he'd stop himself (from giving me high five). so you want to let them know, so when you work with them they will be aware at all times.

Exactly! That's what I thought before the interview. It's better to explain right from the start. If they become offended and not give you the job then so what? I wouldn't be comfortable in a place where my religion and lifestyle aren't respected, anyway.

Oh btw, I got the job - alhamdulillah :) The boss totally understood and I didn't even have to explain. I started with a "Oh I'm sorry but" and he was all calm about it and even apologized himself. I love God :D

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic
Oh btw, I got the job - alhamdulillah :) The boss totally understood and I didn't even have to explain. I started with a "Oh I'm sorry but" and he was all calm about it and even apologized himself. I love God :D

:salam2: Sister,

Congratulations!!!!:jumpclap: :wavyarms: :holaaa:

Allah SWT says in surat Al-Talaq:

''And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out,
And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is ((Allah)) for him.''

:salam2:

Halloween Harry

its not a personal choice its a religious rule.

Your religious choice is a personal one (i.e. not mandated by external effects such as laws/fear/other pressures).

''after the interview''' ?

well that means uve already broken the rule doesnt it? whats the point?

I conceed. For clarity, I should have said, after the interview has concluded (i.e. before you walk out the door).

Also how about a prize giving cermony...?

the guest speaker is male and we have to go shake his hand accept a bible from him??? maaaad! and there are like 300 people sitting there and i dont think id get a chance to explain in a hurry...

This is a viable scenario, one that is carefuly planned & coreographed before hand, giving you plenty of opporunity to address your concerns.

Similar to how vegetarians tell the airline way ahead of time what meal they want.

This is after all, how we fit in & permeate society, instead of sticking out like a sore thumb & alienating those around us.

Zaarah

I either try not to get in the situation but if that seems rude and the other person looks as if they're going to shake hands I just smile politely and say that my faith dictates that I dont shake hands with the opposite gender.

Apologies, I haven't read all of the posts and I have a question, so forgive me if it's been clarified already..

Are Muslim men permitted to shake hands with non Muslim women?

subhanallah

Are Muslim men permitted to shake hands with non Muslim women?

:salam2:
Oh no, the rule goes for shaking hands with both muslims and non-muslims - as long as they're of the opposite gender it's prohibited :)

''And for those who fear Allah, He (ever) prepares a way out,
And He provides for him from (sources) he never could imagine. And if any one puts his trust in Allah, sufficient is ((Allah)) for him.''

I love those ayahs! Whenever I feel as if I'm in a hopeless situation or maybe only a bit sad and depressed, the remembrance of those verses always keeps me from giving up.

Oh, and jazakAllahu kheyra for your congratulations!