Kanoute Saves Spanish Mosque

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
Malian Muslim footballer Frederic Kanoute, the striker of Spain's Seville FC, has saved the only mosque in the southern Spanish city of Seville from closure.

Kanoute has paid 510,860 euros (some $700,000) so that fellow Muslims in Seville would not find themselves without a mosque, reported Agence France-Presse (AFP) Thursday, December 13.

The privately owned mosque was due to be sold after a contract to use the premises by the local Muslim population had expired.

But Kanoute stepped in to purchase the building.

The 30-year-old striker has not made any comment on the matter.

But city authorities have confirmed that the property has been registered in Kanoute's name, according to the BBC Sport.

It is estimated that Kanoute has spent almost a year's salary to buy the mosque.

Kanoute, , one of the finalists for the 2007 BBC African Footballer of the Year award, moved in 2005 from French champions Lyon to Seville FC, the 2006-07 Spanish league's third and the holder of last season's cup championship.

Grateful

Spanish Muslims said they really appreciate Kanoute's moving gesture.

"If it had not been for Kanoute then we would not have had a mosque on Fridays, which is the most holy day of the week for Muslims," a spokesman for the Islamic Community of Spain was quoted as saying by BBC Sport.

Kanoute, who has also created a foundation in his motherland Mali to help orphans, reverted to Islam 10 years ago.

Last Ramadan, he impressed Spanish football fans by his unique performance though he was fasting.

Kanoute was crowned last year the league's top scorer with 20 goals, outperforming football legends such as Brazilian Ronaldinho.

Kanoute, a practicing Muslim who regularly performs his prayers even in the locker room, refused last season to wear a jersey advertising for an internet gambling site, because gambling is forbidden in Islam.

His team had to give him a brand-free jersey until he accepted wearing the sponsored jersey in return for money to an Islamic charity.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
:salam2:

I love watching kanoute play.A great role model for youths...
But i cannot forgive him because Sevilla recently beat Arsenal.....joking

wooow subhanallah what a business!

He is now gonna get the reward of every muslims prayer who will pray at that mosque!

allahu akbar.

salahdin

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّ حۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِASSALAMA ALEIKUM WA RAHMATULLAHI WABARAKATU A REAL MUMIN MAY ALLAH REWARD HIM IN THIS AND THE NEXT WORLD.A TRUE BELEIVER AND FOR ALL THE SO CALLED SPORTS STARS BE IT FOOTBALL ,BASKETBALL HERE IS AN EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW WITH AN EXEPTION OF FEW

Salaamalikum,

I don't really watch soccer, besides the World Cup, but Alhamdulillah the brother is truly an inspiring role model - like brother Alkathiri said. Not wearing a jersey because it was promoting gambling, fasting in the game, praying in the locker room, giving money to save the masjid from an expiring contract - may Allah swt reward him.

khalillulah

:salam2:

I enjoy watching kanoute on field, he is a great player who can produce wonderful results. a beautiful goal scorer, i watch him beat arsenal in the champions league :wavyarms:

May Allah reward him great for his charity.

masalam

hassenali

obedience to Allah
asalam mualaykum ,i enjoyed watching kanoute play when he was playing for West ham,coz I am a fan of W.H, anyway what good deed he did,may Allah rewards for this great action

wow i didnt know kanoute was a muslim n also didnt know he was 30 already....his paycheck per year is only 700 000??......most footballers get over a million like ronaldinho gets 1.2 million per MONTH....that was a really super thing he did:hearts::hearts:

abdellah007

salam

salam alaykum

his name is Frederic omar Kanoute, player of fc siville in spain, also playing to mali national team. i ve read about it. we appreciate what he has done for the mosque. also he had refused to wear the fc siville tshirt bcos it holds a haram publicity. so they made a unique tshirt for him. masha allah this the real muslim that cares about his job and Deen.

kanoute_islam.jpg

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Mash'Allah!

I can see why the brother wants to keep it low profile.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

abdellah007

Salam

Did you know that Nicolas Anelka the ex Arsenal player who now plays for Bolton became a Muslim a few years ago as well?

Peace2u

salam brother

the list keep growing : frank rebery ( bilal) french and bayern munich player. also abidal ( bilal) french and barcelone player. and many others.

this is rebery :

8fmagsz.jpg

Peace2u

Turn To Islam
salam brother

the list keep growing : frank rebery ( bilal) french and bayern munich player. also abidal ( bilal) french and barcelone player. and many others.

[/IMG]

Yes Mashallah I know about Rebery becoming a Muslim, theres quite a few in the lower leagues as well.